Iron Sights

Iron Sights

This is a discussion on Iron Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The white dots on a few on my iron sights on my pistols need to be redone but the sights are in great condition so ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By Gunnie
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By oldbadger
  • 3 Post By OldChap
  • 1 Post By Old Man
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 1 Post By subhuman
  • 1 Post By jmf552

Thread: Iron Sights

Iron Sights

The white dots on a few on my iron sights on my pistols need to be redone but the sights are in great condition so I don't want to replace the whole sight.

Any recommendations on a brand or type of white paint for this? I heard white nail polish is not going to be a good long term solution. I would like to get the same or better grade/quality of white paint that was originally put on them.

Any recommendations for removing the old white paint and not damage the black finish on the iron sight from some type of strong solvent that may be needed to remove the old paint?

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    The white dots on a few on my iron sights on my pistols need to be redone but the sights are in great condition so I don't want to replace the whole sight.

Any recommendations on a brand or type of white paint for this? I heard white nail polish is not going to be a good long term solution. I would like to get the same or better grade/quality of white paint that was originally put on them.

Any recommendations for removing the old white paint and not damage the black finish on the iron sight from some type of strong solvent that may be needed to remove the old paint?
    Safety pin can remove them pretty easy. Glow paint is a sponsor here but also finder nail polish or Jig Paint will work temporarily.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.

Wite Out has worked very well for me and lasts a long time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have used fishing jig paint for many years with good results. Good luck.
    xXxHeavy, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

I use Day-Glow Orange nail polish (who wears that anyway?) and I also use some of the glow-in-the-dark paint from one of our fine sponsors. I'm using their bright green currently.
    msgt/ret, Old Man and airslot like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Finger nail polish remover (acetone) and a bronze bristle brush will remove the white paint. The jig paint, nail polish, Glow On fluorescent paint, and model airplane paint all work. Apply with a tooth pic, paper clip, or very small brush. I like going over what ever I use with clear acrylic nail polish.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I use Day-Glow Orange nail polish (who wears that anyway?) and I also use some of the glow-in-the-dark paint from one of our fine sponsors. I'm using their bright green currently.
    Sarah, she’s a very nice looking red head.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Testors model paint will stay forever
    PEF likes this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

This is not white, but I have read bright green is easier for the eye to pickup than any other color. I have had really good luck with Rust-Oleum Specialty Fluorescent Spray paint in green. If the surface is black, doing a first coat of Rust-Oleum white clean metal primer really makes the green pop and probably makes the adhesion better. For something like a sight, I spray a small puddle onto a piece of cardboard and apply it with a Q-tip.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

For a polished look
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Sponsored Links