New SIG 238

New SIG 238

This is a discussion on New SIG 238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife purchased a new SIG 238 DES. One shooting session and she wants to get rid of it. She had two instances where the ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 3 Post By forester58
  • 3 Post By hfjeff
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 2 Post By buckshotshorty
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 3 Post By LimaCharlie

Thread: New SIG 238

New SIG 238

The wife purchased a new SIG 238 DES. One shooting session and she wants to get rid of it.
    She had two instances where the round didn't feed when she inserted new mag. I am pretty sure she didn't have the mags seated all the way.
    She had one instance where the slide release came out. I suspect that she may have pushed the pin while releasing the slide with an empty mag in the gun.
    She was not accurate with it. Neither was I. She normally shoots small guns very well. Not this one. I will check and see if the sights are on.
    She also shot her Kimber revolver during this session and she still loves it. She also shot my Dan Wesson ECP 45. Shooting at 15 yards all of her shots could be covered by a playing card.

After the one session, she ready to send the SIG down the road. I think her three mechanical problems were self induced. Until I put a cardboard backstop behind the target to see what the bullets are doing when fired, I won't be able to make a call on the accuracy issue. Her firt mag or two where on target. Then poof, all misses. I checked, the sights did not seem loose. Me shooting and missing does not mean much since there are some guns that I don't shoot well and a 238 could very likely be another that I add to the list.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

JD
    Administrator
    The slide stop falling out is pretty common.

I sent my 238 HD back to Sig 3x for other issues before they replaced it. I sold the replacement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Stick to the one that works every time, the Kimber revolver. Why would you not?
    Wavygravy, SmoothJazz and drmordo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have never had an issue with my 238. It is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever handled. Sorry to hear she is not happy with hers.

I pocket carried a Sig P238 .380 from the time they were introduced until the Sig P938 9mm came out. I had several thousand rounds through mine with zero issues. They like to be well oiled and shot with a firm grip. My wife and I both carry a Sig P938 9mm and have had zero issues with them.
    MMinSC and Rockymonster like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    I have never had an issue with my 238. It is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever handled. Sorry to hear she is not happy with hers.
    Same response X2 because I can say the same about both my 238s.
    hfjeff and mck1975 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I pocket carried a Sig P238 .380 from the time they were introduced until the Sig P938 9mm came out. I had several thousand rounds through mine with zero issues. They like to be well oiled and shot with a firm grip. My wife and I both carry a Sig P938 9mm and have had zero issues with them.
    I have 2 P238's and have had no issues at all with either of them, and I shoot them regularly because they are my carry guns. I do have a problem removing and replacing the slide lock lever to take them apart for cleaning, but that's why I have my devoted spouse, right?

My shooting buddy who is still new to shooting can shoot my P238's with no problems, but my Glock 42 totally jams when she tries to shoot it. That tells me that her grip is not truly firm-firm. The SIG's don't seem to care quite as much.

These little guns DO need to be cleaned thoroughly and that is a bit challenging because all the parts are so tiny, but used toothbrushes and plastic gun cleaning picks are your friends to get in the wee little cracks and corners.

As far as OILING: The owner's manual specifies after cleaning to go over all metal surfaces with A LIGHTLY OILED CLOTH. There are absolutely no points on these guns where even one drop of oil is recommended.

If your particular gun runs well when it is wet, good for you. I follow the manual. We both seem to have good luck.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I have 2 P238's and have had no issues at all with either of them, and I shoot them regularly because they are my carry guns. I do have a problem removing and replacing the slide lock lever to take them apart for cleaning, but that's why I have my devoted spouse, right?

My shooting buddy who is still new to shooting can shoot my P238's with no problems, but my Glock 42 totally jams when she tries to shoot it. That tells me that her grip is not truly firm-firm. The SIG's don't seem to care quite as much.

These little guns DO need to be cleaned thoroughly and that is a bit challenging because all the parts are so tiny, but used toothbrushes and plastic gun cleaning picks are your friends to get in the wee little cracks and corners.

As far as OILING: The owner's manual specifies after cleaning to go over all metal surfaces with A LIGHTLY OILED CLOTH. There are absolutely no points on these guns where even one drop of oil is recommended.

If your particular gun runs well when it is wet, good for you. I follow the manual. We both seem to have good luck.

When I worked at the LGS, we would frequently get a new Sig P238 .380 or Sig P938 9mm back with complaints of jamming. They would clean and liberally oil it and give it to me with a fifty round box of FMJ ammo and a 20 round box of JHP ammo for a range trip. They always worked flawlessly for me. They tend to come dry from the factory.
    MMinSC, ShooterGranny and drmordo like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

That's odd, the 238 is usually pretty solid. That said, it is a pocket sized semi auto and the 238 is not necessarily immune to their unique challenges.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    My P238 has been flawless so far, but I haven't shot it all that much and haven't carried it for years.

On the other hand, my Kimber K6S is pretty much a work of art and does get carried.

I'd encourage her to stick with the Kimber if she likes it.

Lead Moderator
    The 238 we have works well with no issues from,self or my wife (her pistol). Accuracy is excellent , especially for such a small gun. Hope you get it sorted out or something that works for your wife.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    Same response X2 because I can say the same about both my 238s.
    I'm with the rest of the "club'. I've had the P238 for a long time, easy shooting and solid structure, with zero issues. Sorry to hear you've had issues.
    "Anyone who will tear down sports will tear down America.
    Sports and Religion have made America what it is today. -- Woody Hayes"

Sponsored Links