P99c as

P99c as

This is a discussion on P99c as within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther P99C AS 9x19mm For some reason this pistol with it's unique triple mode.trigger keeps calling to me. If you have one tell me about ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Litespeed
  • 2 Post By Tightwad
  • 2 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By AnthonyC
  • 1 Post By popo22

Thread: P99c as

P99c as

Walther P99C AS 9x19mm
    For some reason this pistol with it's unique triple mode.trigger keeps calling to me.

If you have one tell me about it and what your likes and dislikes about it are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
    Walther P99C AS 9x19mm
    For some reason this pistol with it's unique triple mode.trigger keeps calling to me.

I was looking at 10-round compacts a couple of years ago. I looked at the ubiquitous G26, but after handling them several times and shooting my friend's 26 I found them to be thick, short and hard for my hand to find a good grip. Just a little brick to me. Lots of people have and like them, but it had zero appeal to me in handling or shooting. Take my G19 over it every time. Personal opinion only.

Then I handled a P99 AS compact in 9mm. It has the G26 beat in every category for me. Much better ergonomics, better sights, better trigger, better finish and just all around better. For me. It is also accurate and has a good reputation. With the unique AS trigger I consider it the safest striker fired handgun, which doesn't have a manual safety. That said, I have fired it only a couple of hundred rounds and carried it only a couple of times.

Although the Walther PPQ and P99 compact feel less bulky on the belt than the slab sided Glocks, it is still a double stack. For me it is the thickness which counts most on a belt gun in warm weather carry. So I wound up using my G43s and now my Sig P365 in all but winter coat weather when I use one of my 15-round mid-sized guns like my G19s or other similar sized ones.

I've been recently selling the guns I seldom or never use and the P99 AS compact is probably going to go on the market soon. That gun in 9mm seems very scarce at the present time. Walther imports them in batches and they haven't been easily available in some time.

Good luck in locating and handling one.
    forester58 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    Walther P99C AS 9x19mm

I was looking at 10-round compacts a couple of years ago. I looked at the ubiquitous G26, but after handling them several times and shooting my friend's 26 I found them to be thick, short and hard for my hand to find a good grip. Just a little brick to me. Lots of people have and like them, but it had zero appeal to me in handling or shooting. Take my G19 over it every time. Personal opinion only.

Then I handled a P99 AS compact in 9mm. It has the G26 beat in every category for me. Much better ergonomics, better sights, better trigger, better finish and just all around better. For me. It is also accurate and has a good reputation. With the unique AS trigger I consider it the safest striker fired handgun, which doesn't have a manual safety. That said, I have fired it only a couple of hundred rounds and carried it only a couple of times.

Although the Walther PPQ and P99 compact feel less bulky on the belt than the slab sided Glocks, it is still a double stack. For me it is the thickness which counts most on a belt gun in warm weather carry. So I wound up using my G43s and now my Sig P365 in all but winter coat weather when I use one of my 15-round mid-sized guns like my G19s or other similar sized ones.

I've been recently selling the guns I seldom or never use and the P99 AS compact is probably going to go on the market soon. That gun in 9mm seems very scarce at the present time. Walther imports them in batches and they haven't been easily available in some time.

Good luck in locating and handling one.
    Thank you. I have a P365 but I don't shoot it particularly well and find it difficult to avoid the controls. It's also hard for me to manipulate well. I can't get any support hand contact with the pistol. I think my hand is just to big (It's a two-finger pistol for me with the extension). This has me considering the short conventionial double stacks as they tend to open up the additional room.

The smallest pistol I've found that I can really run well is a .45 Shield. (Excepting the LCP, but I can't really explain that).
    forester58 and CLASS3NH like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. I have a P365 but I don't shoot it particularly well and find it difficult to avoid the controls. It's also hard for me to manipulate well. I can't get any support hand contact with the pistol. I think my hand is just to big (It's a two-finger pistol for me with the extension). This has me considering the short conventionial double stacks as they tend to open up the additional room.

The smallest pistol I've found that I can really run well is a .45 Shield. (Excepting the LCP, but I can't really explain that).
    I honestly think a lot of people overlook "shootability" in their ever growing perceived need for smaller and more rounds. Something has to give here. I gave up on my Glock 43 only because I could not reliably shoot it without tripping the slide lock. Just no room on the pistol for me to shoot it well. I still carry a single stack 9mm but, it was designed to eliminate that problem and the dust cover is meaty enough that I can use my support hand in a viable manner. Still I run it with the extended mag because two finger grips just don't cut it against the timed draw for me.
    I now see some advantage to the P365xl and the G43x or G48. I used to think they were kind of unnecessary but, my mind has been changed. Full grip means full control in handling,drawing,retention and shooting. At least that is my personal take,YMMV.
    CLASS3NH and matthew03 like this.

The Walther 99c and SW99 are almost the SAME gun. S&W imported the Walther at one time ( the "Strategic Alliance" Both Companies had at one time) so finding a SW-99 is almost as good as the Walther. The Store has both types of guns, so we get to play with em all the time. They're short on the grip frame, so your hand purchase will feel this. The DE-Cocker is on the top of the slide, you'll see the same basic design on this too. The QA SA and other trigger definitions are what you'll be looking at. To me, they sit on the shelf, until somebody, who knows a bit about them, decides to make a purchase on them. The H&K P30SK, VP9 SK M&P compact are similar in size. Hope I didn't confuse you in any way.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have this pistol and carry it AIWB in a Vedder Light Tucker holster. Very nice gun to shoot especially with a pinky rest on the base plate and some sort grip accessory like Talon grips or even a bike tube. That is my only criticism: the grip is somewhat slick. The grip texture on the PPQ seems much better.
    The trigger is very nice but takes a little time to learn the different "modes."
    Litespeed likes this.

The P99c AS is a great pistol, but largely ignored by most shooters because the trigger is a little more complex initially. After you shoot one enough to understand/master the trigger, I find few others are it's equal. I do wish the grip had more texturing, but that can be overcome. The trigger re-set is the shortest/fastest of any pistol I've shot, other than a 1911 SA trigger. There is a lot to like about the P99c AS as long as you practice enough with it to fully manipulate it's advantages (but there is a learning curve).
    Litespeed likes this.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Yes, the grip texturing is not as "grippy" as I like, but rubber Talons took care of that quite nicely. Almost all of my polymer framed handguns get the Talon treatment as I simply like the feel of the rubber grips better than the feel of the various polymer pattern grips. And the rubber Talons help control during more rapid fire recoil.

The P99 compact has an almost cult status among many Walther fans. As a long time DA/SA handgun owner I didn't find the P99s AS trigger hard to learn at all. I'm about bought out on polymer framed striker fired handguns, but if I add another it would be tempting to give the full sized P99 a try.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Sponsored Links