Should I Carry a 9mm? - Page 3

Should I Carry a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Should I Carry a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do you care what other people think about your caliber choice? I don't like Glocks, do I care that I'm in the minority here ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Should I Carry a 9mm?

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Why do you care what other people think about your caliber choice?

I don't like Glocks, do I care that I'm in the minority here on that? Nope.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
    I already have a 9x19mm that I shoot better than the others but the Canik TP9SF is a little large for a carry gun. Sure does work for a "Game Gun" though. Mine even eats 9x19mm 115 FMJ Federal Black Pack without issue. (Supposedly they are sprung for 124 NATO so don't always handle weak US Ammo well).

I am considering picking up a Walther P99C AS just because I've always been intrigued by the triple-mode trigger system. Whether I would carry it would be a long term decision (Kind of like getting married).
    Got married in 1978. Was then carrying a Smith & Wesson K-Frame .38 Special with a smattering of Colt 1911 .45 ACP. Guess some long term decision making occurred along about that time for I still favor Smith & Wesson K-Frames and Colt 1911s as well as the gal, even the same exact ones as I had back then.

Of course I like to play the field and mix it up so have been known to carry a .41 Long Colt and a couple weekends ago toted a .32-20 afield. One can do that with handguns. With women? Not such a hot idea. Best to keep the same wife one is familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I was a cool guy. Then I went with a 45 ACP.

But now I’m a 38 Special, so there’s that, and I don’t think that means much either.
    Well ... don't know how "cool" it is, but .38 Special still warms my heart so I'll hold ya' in highest esteem Richard ...for whatever that's worth, heh!
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; February 11th, 2020 at 10:38 AM.
    msgt/ret, OD*, OldChap and 5 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

I'm so uncool I carry a .38 revolver...

Carry a gun that works and that you know how to use and you'll be miles ahead of the curve.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...in fact - not caring what others think is just good life advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The mantra of "carry what you shoot best and can conceal properly" should always be a guiding principle and the last reason I would have to carry a particular caliber is because anyone else thinks it's cool.

Having said all that, it looks like you're shooting your .40, .45, and .380 well enough, but if you have to try a 9mm, have you considered trying a M&P like your .40 but in a 9mm?

Distinguished Member
    “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." ~~ John Gierach
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
    I'm sorry, I guess I'm just tired of getting the eye roll after 35 years. In the 80's I wasn't serious because I carried a .38 Super, In the 90's I wasn't serious because I carried a .45 ACP. In the 00's I wasn't serious because I carried a 9x19mm. Now I'm not serious because I carry a .40 S&W. Is it that hard to understand someone that carries what they can shoot and to @#$ with what caliber it happens to be?

Next decade it will be because I carry a 9x19mm and everyone that's serious carries a .380 ACP.
    The last thing you want to do is do what everyone else does, do what works best for you. If it's .40 then it's .40. Carry what you are comfortable carrying and what you shoot the best and forget what everyone else says. One of the things that I cannot stand is that the gun community is some of the most confrontational people. If you don't carry what everyone else carries or if it is a different caliber or you don't use the same defensive ammo you are a borderline outcast. We are all out for the same cause, we carry for the same reason, we should be supporting each other instead of chastising someone for their caliber, ammo, or brand of gun they carry. Sorry, I'll hop off the soapbox now.
    Beretta 92 FS Compact Inox
    CZ 2075 RAMI
    CZ P-07
    CZ P-10c
    Walther PPS

Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    My $0.02, carry what you shoot the best. You might want to look into either reloading or ordering online if ammo costs are much of a concern.
    Agreed! I don't have the extensive collection of pistols that a lot of members of this forum do, but I do have several to choose from and I've found that I shoot my M&P Compact9 the best, and it conceals well for me so that's my carry gun.

I got into reloading and found I really enjoy the process so I reload my 9 mm rounds even though conventional wisdom says it's not worth it as the ammo is cheap new. Reloading pistol ammo is fast and cheap. I only save a few cents a round but that still adds up over thousands of rounds and I go to the range often. I never want to be thinking about not being able to shoot as much as I want because I have to conserve my ammo, but I'm not wealthy so every penny I save helps.
    G-man*, bmcgilvray and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I avoid stupid people, places and things like a religion. If by chance that doesn't work, the fall back is utilization of a S&W Shield 9X19mm, which we sincerely hope never occurs/happens. I don't do the carry rotation thing either. Good, bad and or indifferent that's way its going to be.
    bmcgilvray, OldChap and ETXhiker like this.

Senior Moderator
    When one thinks of following the crowd, one generally thinks of fashion, media driven music and entertainment, political ideology, even the vehicles most popular to be seen in. Firearms trends are one corner of following the crowd that is not generally recognized, but are insidious nonetheless. Firearms and ammunition marketers tap into this desire to rely on what "the crowd" thinks, to be approved by "the crowd," to the benefit of their bottom lines and to the detriment of our cash flows.

Firearms, the use of and their care and feeding as well as the attitudes surrounding same is as changeable as the wind. I recently ordered a September/October 1982 issue of "Handgunner" magazine off of Ebay because it features an article on the Colt Model 1905 pistol by Robert T. Shimek that I wanted to read. I utterly disagreed with his shooting assessment.

After reading the article I read the rest of the magazine. Hah! The ads looked more familiar to me than those found currently. It was startling to note the changes in firearms thought and firearms trends over the past nearly 40 years. What was admired and was selling then bears no resemblance to what is selling now. Were the firearms aficionados of 1982 a bunch 'a rubes? Nope. They (some of us still here) were cutting edge or thought we were. The firearms market is driven by the industry and it's amazing how far it has been driven. At the end of the day it was guns back then same as now, shooting self-contained metallic cartridges, same as we have today. For that matter also the same as they had available in 1900 to 1910, same cartridges and even some few of the same firearms remaining in production. Can you say 9mm and .45 ACP? How about Smith & Wesson Model 10 and Winchester 94? Not to mention a host of current firearms derivatives of those designs.

We get to thinking it's all new and improved, better than anything previously used, but really there is "nothing new under the sun."

Style and Fashion

Both exist and are rampant within the gun hobby/industry.

Audrey Hepburn had style unlike all these current bimbo actresses and celebrities. You may say that Audrey Hepburn is dead and gone. She remains an icon though and for the rest of the bimbos, dead and gone will only be good riddance. Same goes for current male celebrities by the way. I can't even recall any celebrities who would be considered iconic today who were relevant in 1982 when that "American Handgunner" previously mentioned was published.

Mom's home cooking had style, unlike the currently trendy restaurant in the primo location across the street from the symphony hall downtown where all the beautiful people, hungry to be seen of others, pay obscene sums of money for minuscule portions of fashionable dishes artistically drizzled with special sauces du jour.

Tattoos. I've come to not give a flying fig about them one way or the other. There once was a time where tattoos weren't seen in polite company. Oh, some of my dad's World War II era buds had 'em, but they were covered when out in public and I never saw a woman with an exposed tattoo until I was long past grown. Now tattoos are everywhere, sported by all and sundry in all walks of life. Entire sleeves of tattoos and torsos covered with them. Each person striving to show his individualism and uniqueness. Thing is, when everybody's special then nobody's special.

In firearms, style is developing one's own knowledge, capabilities, and likes within the realm of firearms design and the self-contained metallic cartridges designed for them. Fashion is chasing trends touted by others, be it friends, marketers, magazines, or firearms forums.

Whether it's firearms or dress. Style says "me only." Fashion says "me too."

And that's the "pontification" for the day.

And, in the pithy yet immortal words of a once popular, but now long gone pop act ...

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    “On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.”
    ~ Thomas Jefferson
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Tightwad You can't make a common sense adult choice maybe you should not carry . The problem is yours so figure it out . I've carried a 40sw as my EDC for 29 years and only carry a double stack do to several hand surgery's and have continued loss of some grip strength but I also been know to carry a 9mm or a 45 in single stacks even pocket pistols at work . There may be a day I weil want to carry a handgun with dot optics too so I have a nice slightly smaller optic ready 9mm for when I get older and my vision is worse !! Make a choice , its not ours to make for you .
    OldChap likes this.

If you carry a .380 there are those that say a 9 is the minimum they will carry.
    If you carry a 9 some will say 40 is the minimum they will carry.
    If you carry a 40 some will say they would never carry less than a 45.
    It is a never ending debate.
    Carry what you like and be done with it

12.7x42mm
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Nuthin' wrong with the .40 ……. nuthin' wrong with the 9mm or .45 acp neither !! You do you and don't sweat what other folks think.
    OldChap and ETXhiker like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I'm pretty sure there is a 9mm conversion barrel for your M&P .40. I can't imagine anything cooler than a 9/.40 convertible! DR
    OldChap and Bigsteve113 like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links