Should I Carry a 9mm? - Page 4

Should I Carry a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Should I Carry a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dangerranger I'm pretty sure there is a 9mm conversion barrel for your M&P .40. I can't imagine anything cooler than a 9/.40 ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Should I Carry a 9mm?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a 9mm conversion barrel for your M&P .40. I can't imagine anything cooler than a 9/.40 convertible! DR
    I can.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a 9mm conversion barrel for your M&P .40. I can't imagine anything cooler than a 9/.40 convertible! DR
    9mm/.40 S&W/.357 Sig
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Carry what you're comfortable carrying. Personally, I'm not volunteering to be struck by any of these.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerMike View Post
    The last thing you want to do is do what everyone else does, do what works best for you. If it's .40 then it's .40. Carry what you are comfortable carrying and what you shoot the best and forget what everyone else says. One of the things that I cannot stand is that the gun community is some of the most confrontational people. If you don't carry what everyone else carries or if it is a different caliber or you don't use the same defensive ammo you are a borderline outcast. We are all out for the same cause, we carry for the same reason, we should be supporting each other instead of chastising someone for their caliber, ammo, or brand of gun they carry. Sorry, I'll hop off the soapbox now.
    And...I'll jump on the soapbox with you!

Like one of the other posters said; "Who cares what pistol brand or caliber that someone else chooses to carry?" I don't because it has absolutely nothing to do with me. I can learn from and appreciate what others do but I never feel a need to seek their approval or validation for what I do.

HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    Carry what you're comfortable carrying. Personally, I'm not volunteering to be struck by any of these.
    Good illustration, but it left out the .25 Auto.
    OldChap, LimaCharlie, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
    I'm sorry, I guess I'm just tired of getting the eye roll after 35 years. In the 80's I wasn't serious because I carried a .38 Super, In the 90's I wasn't serious because I carried a .45 ACP. In the 00's I wasn't serious because I carried a 9x19mm. Now I'm not serious because I carry a .40 S&W. Is it that hard to understand someone that carries what they can shoot and to @#$ with what caliber it happens to be?

Next decade it will be because I carry a 9x19mm and everyone that's serious carries a .380 ACP.
    Just a minor suggestion: If you're the least bit worried about what the crowd carries and how they might ridicule you, just have a contract drawn up for them to sign stating that they will drop everything and leap instantly to your defense with their superior equipment if your life is ever threatened.

Mrs OldChap frequently asks me whether I am a mouse or a man. I think she's trying to say, "Think for yourself, bubba."

@Well_Regulated I'm not willing to get shot with one of these:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  5.1 KB
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

It's OK to mention what you prefer and why....But it shouldn't matter to anyone what someone else likes or chooses.
    OldChap and Militant like this.

The only times I am concerned with what someone else carries is when I was in the military with them or when I hire them as a bodyguard.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Once again...I am the Will Rogers of the gun world. I never met a gun I didn't like.

Those of you under the age of about 50 will have to look up who Will Rogers was.

As always, lots of excellent advice here on DC.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Carry the one you shoot worst. I'll feel safer.
    LOL!
    OldChap likes this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

VIP Member
    If you were cool, you would be carrying that 45 Shield full-time.

Just sayin'.
    OldChap, bmcgilvray, OD* and 5 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

A bulked up 6'2" guy is coming at you with a knife. Which one would you pick to try and stop him, accepting the fact that you have to carry the gun that fires it every day, in all manner of dress?

Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Good illustration, but it left out the .25 Auto.
    Yeah, I know. I had a hard enough time finding one that included the .32ACP.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

We're talking about a gun that will be carried a whole lot, and, except for shooting at the range, won't be seen by anyone else unless you are in a life and death situation that will have to be resolved immediately. So the question is, at that moment, when you are staring into the abyss knowing that you and/or yours are about to be killed or suffer substantial physical injury, which gun would you want to have in your hands the most?

That is the right gun for you.

Guns are a tool and every tool has a particular job. Carry a gun that fits your hand, one that is reliable, one that you can shoot, and one that fits the occasion and the clothing you need at the time. Maybe you have a gun that fits all occasions, maybe you need a couple of tools to cover different situations. Having a gun (tool) is the important part. Sometimes, the caliber is secondary. No one wants to get shot with anything. Have a gun. Just my opinion.
    Wavygravy and OldChap like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links