Should I Carry a 9mm? - Page 5

Should I Carry a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Should I Carry a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wondering ...but if you have to try a 9mm, have you considered trying a M&P like your .40 but in a 9mm? ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Should I Carry a 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    ...but if you have to try a 9mm, have you considered trying a M&P like your .40 but in a 9mm?
    I have a 9mm barrel for it. I shoot the same split times with it and the 9mm barrel isn't quite as accurate.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is a 9mm conversion barrel for your M&P .40. I can't imagine anything cooler than a 9/.40 convertible! DR
    The 4.25" OEM M&P Full-Size barrel drops right in. I bought one for $80. If I shot it quicker or it was more accurate I would use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you were cool, you would be carrying that 45 Shield full-time.

Just sayin'.
    I can't run the Shield quite as quickly or accurately as the M&P (especially past 15 yards). Also while I may never need it 13+1 and a 15 round reload just feels better than 6+1 and a 7.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I just started carrying a 9mm again because I can conceal it just fine, it has a great trigger, fits my hand perfectly and holds 15+1. Also 3 17rnd backup mags. Of course it doesn't mean that I won't stop deep carrying my .32 or ignore the option of my 10mm or .45 depending upon the circumstances.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

why bother with anything else when you can carry a .45acp...……..omo.
    G-man* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Shouldn’t have quite carrying 38 super lol. In all seriousness you should carry the firearm which you shoot the best which is a size you will actually carry. First rule of gunfight is have a gun!
    Well said, shot placement is key. It doesn't matter how many 9mm shots you fire and miss, the BG will keep coming and if you miss and hit someone else.....

Carry what you shoot best please.
    Gunnie likes this.

Also when comparing cartridges one should be comparing same guns. Just my .02
    APX-9M likes this.

At my age (almost 70 ) I quit worrying about what other people think or what was considered cool a long time ago. I have calibers from.380 to .45, both single and double stack. All my pistols are metal because that is what I like. I have never bought into the Glock phenomenon or polymer. Most of my pistols are Sigs or Kimber’s. I carry what I shoot best and what I can conceal well. Recently bought a Ruger GP100 7 shot .357 and I love it. Might carry it once I get a holster. I don’t have a .38 super, but who knows what will happen this summer. Still room in the safe.
    msgt/ret and APX-9M like this.

Speaking as an NRA Instructor with 31 years of experience as well as the former Executive Officer for the 9th Infantry Division Pistol Team (1983): Use the caliber and firearm you are MOST accurate with and practice the manual of arms and necessary tactics until they become an integral part of your bodily movements. Stopping power comes from accurate hits in vital areas, immediate stops require more meticulous accuracy.

You could riddle the heart of an attacker and it would still require that he bleed out to a sufficient degree to achieve “hydraulic failure” and in that rundown time, a lot of damage can be achieved by an opponent not aware that he’s even at deaths door.

You’re perhaps instructed to aim “center of mass” for the purposes of stopping an attack. That’s the most basic level of training or instruction. The next level is called “failure to stop.” This requires that two shots be achieved to center mass. Then, pause while maintaining the shooting stance and grip, assess the damage done to the assailant, if any. If there’s still a threat to life and limb, you must instantly segue to a neural net shot.
    More than a “head shot.” This is the classic “no twitch light switch.” Exemplified by cutting the brain power to the body. That neural net runs around the head from the upper lip/base of the nose to the mid upper forehead. You’re pretty sure to do this if you take the cranio-ocular shot. That’s thru the eye socket as an aiming point. But it’s got to be a straight line shot. The caliber can be less powerful for this shot because there’s less bone and tissue to get thru to achieve the needed (but never desired) result. That result is the survival of the defender and the total and instant incapacitation of the attacker.
    matthew03 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 31 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Patriot Benefactor Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO. IDPA, USPSA, STEEL CHALLENGE competitor. RETIRED Social Studies Educator as of 12/7/2018

Carry what you want.

If you are serious about it, take a bunch of gun fighting classes, you figure gear out real quick when you are using it in that type
    of environment for long periods of time. It’s also when people quit saying my gun never malfunctions.
    xXxHeavy and Militant like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Sure, I have 9mm's and a .40 as well that I shoot well BUT in my house, the .45ACP is alive! It's my main EDC caliber. Carried my HK USPC .45 stainless slide w/2 extra 12 rd mags last night while my wife and I were out.

I like it when we get a glimpse of a member in their natural habitat.
    From knowing your choice in edc I figured you were a man of style and class.
    Not disappointed.
    Militant likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    My thinking would be to carry the one that I could shoot best, unless the difference is irrelevant. If I can shoot caliber 1 in a 2" group at 40' and caliber 2 at 2.2" at 40', that to me is good enough. Next would be capacity, more is better. Of course conceal comes into play too. If I have a difficult time concealing caliber 1 but not caliber 2, caliber 2 wins. Every choice is a tradeoff. You need to decide your priorities. IMHO, cool only counts when everything else is essentially a break even.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Speaking as an NRA Instructor with 31 years of experience as well as the former Executive Officer for the 9th Infantry Division Pistol Team (1983): Use the caliber and firearm you are MOST accurate with and practice the manual of arms and necessary tactics until they become an integral part of your bodily movements. Stopping power comes from accurate hits in vital areas, immediate stops require more meticulous accuracy.

You could riddle the heart of an attacker and it would still require that he bleed out to a sufficient degree to achieve “hydraulic failure” and in that rundown time, a lot of damage can be achieved by an opponent not aware that he’s even at deaths door.

You’re perhaps instructed to aim “center of mass” for the purposes of stopping an attack. That’s the most basic level of training or instruction. The next level is called “failure to stop.” This requires that two shots be achieved to center mass. Then, pause while maintaining the shooting stance and grip, assess the damage done to the assailant, if any. If there’s still a threat to life and limb, you must instantly segue to a neural net shot.
    More than a “head shot.” This is the classic “no twitch light switch.” Exemplified by cutting the brain power to the body. That neural net runs around the head from the upper lip/base of the nose to the mid upper forehead. You’re pretty sure to do this if you take the cranio-ocular shot. That’s thru the eye socket as an aiming point. But it’s got to be a straight line shot. The caliber can be less powerful for this shot because there’s less bone and tissue to get thru to achieve the needed (but never desired) result. That result is the survival of the defender and the total and instant incapacitation of the attacker.
    Is that a long way of saying....

Priority Targets:
    T-Box
    Golden Triangle
    Pelvic Girdle

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Also when comparing cartridges one should be comparing same guns. Just my .02
    A 9x19mm barrel installed in my M&P M2.0 Compact isn't comparing the same guns?

In the case of .45 ACP it's very hard to find the same platform unless it's a 1911. My Shield for instance is a different size platform than the 9x19mm/.40 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    My thinking would be to carry the one that I could shoot best, unless the difference is irrelevant. If I can shoot caliber 1 in a 2" group at 40' and caliber 2 at 2.2" at 40', that to me is good enough. Next would be capacity, more is better. Of course conceal comes into play too. If I have a difficult time concealing caliber 1 but not caliber 2, caliber 2 wins. Every choice is a tradeoff. You need to decide your priorities. IMHO, cool only counts when everything else is essentially a break even.
    9x19mm at 15 Yards Group
    .40 S&W would be all 10 Ring
    Shield .45 ACP would have one into the 8-Ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I Carry a 9mm?-img_20200116_141812136_hdr_1581659663171.jpg  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links