Should I Carry a 9mm? - Page 6

Should I Carry a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Should I Carry a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; due to the advancement of modern hollow point technology & reliable expansion the difference between 9mm,40S&W and 45acp is not as big a factor as ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Should I Carry a 9mm?

due to the advancement of modern hollow point technology & reliable expansion the difference between 9mm,40S&W and 45acp is not as big a factor as it used to be
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/ look up your favorite ammo ( in your calibers ) and see what the expansion is
    view the expansion & penetration of 9mm,40S&W and 45acp there isn't a lot to be gained by going with a bigger caliber. ( more recoil& slower shot to shot time)
    also a small 9mm can hold more rounds ( g-19 15+1) faster shot split times and more shots between reloads is a good thing.
    I have been shooting & training since the 1980's, and most of my training out side of military is from the Jeff Cooper play book.
    it used to be that in the 80's& 90's hollow points would open from 20 to 30% of the time "on a good day" so the bigger calibers were better stoppers
    now we have a lot better expansion from modern ammo.
    RedSafety likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
    9x19mm at 15 Yards Group
    .40 S&W would be all 10 Ring
    Shield .45 ACP would have one into the 8-Ring.
    So where is the 9mm hitting? What size is the 8-ring? Also, speed of presentation is important. Can you rattle off six rounds into the CM of a standard-sized silhouette in say 2 seconds with both calibers? From what you are saying about the .40 and the .45 I would stick to the .40 simply because reduced recoil generally means one can get more rounds on target easier and quicker.

Forget bullseye shooting. It's good for comparison and a small part of practice, but for defensive use, it generally comes down to quick, multiple rounds into one's attacker, no matter where it is on the body. Yes, center mass or head shots (especially head shots) are more reliable at stopping a threat, but any and every hit has a psychological impact.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

A 9x19mm barrel installed in my M&P M2.0 Compact isn't comparing the same guns?

In the case of .45 ACP it's very hard to find the same platform unless it's a 1911. My Shield for instance is a different size platform than the 9x19mm/.40 S&W.

Certainly I simply misunderstood, I thought you were comparing a 40 M&P and a 9mm shield.

Apologies for the length

Also as for your groups with 9mm at 15yds being 9ring and in is more the sufficient if your comfortable with performance. At the end of the day you are the one who needs to feel comfortable with your choice. I carry 9mm on duty and can pick any cartridge I wish from a auto. That said when not working I switch between 9mm/357sig and 10mm has recently been added.

As for 40cal vs 9mm you get similar expansion similar penetration with less recoil and greater capacity with generally faster fallow up shots. Only you can decide if these things are beneficial to you. I would recommend shoot a timed course and compare your shooting scores and times with both.
    OD* likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mike110 View Post
    due to the advancement of modern hollow point technology & reliable expansion the difference between 9mm,40S&W and 45acp is not as big a factor as it used to be
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/ look up your favorite ammo ( in your calibers ) and see what the expansion is
    view the expansion & penetration of 9mm,40S&W and 45acp there isn't a lot to be gained by going with a bigger caliber. ( more recoil& slower shot to shot time)
    also a small 9mm can hold more rounds ( g-19 15+1) faster shot split times and more shots between reloads is a good thing.
    I have been shooting & training since the 1980's, and most of my training out side of military is from the Jeff Cooper play book.
    it used to be that in the 80's& 90's hollow points would open from 20 to 30% of the time "on a good day" so the bigger calibers were better stoppers
    Clear Ballistics Gel is not a reliable media. Bullets that fail to expand in Clear Gel can expand in "FBI" Gel. Bullets that expand and go 20" in CB can go 15" in FG.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    9x19mm at 15 Yards Group
    So where is the 9mm hitting? What size is the 8-ring? Also, speed of presentation is important. Can you rattle off six rounds into the CM of a standard-sized silhouette in say 2 seconds with both calibers?
    That group is the 9mm. I think it was roughly a 2.4" group.
    That's a B3 so 8-Ring is 4.46".
    But roughly 2" Groups with 40, 2.5" with 9mm. Roughly 3.25" with .45 but it's a smaller platform. Just to be fair I think the accuracy with the 9mm is the particular barrel. Not me.

At 7 Yards it takes me a little over a second to fire 5 shots (Timer starting with first shot and ending with the last) with the M&P 9mm or .40. That is for roughly a 5-7" group on a target. My groups open up on a Silhouette target because of less precise aiming point. I'm about 10-15% slower with the .45 Shield (I'm even slower with a 9mm Shield due to platform size).

At 15 yards I miss the gong a lot at that pace.

I mostly shoot the B29 when I shoot silhouette since I seldom shoot past 15 yards. Should I consider using the full size more?

Quote Originally Posted by mike110 View Post
    Why yes, they even look similar.
    Should I Carry a 9mm?-c41f6bea-d777-4f46-9dc0-ff0ecd70a14a.jpeg
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    I've got a different twist on the 9mm thing. What should I carry?

Primary carry - .40 S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 4"

Summer Carry - .45 Shield

Backup/Beach Shorts - .380 LCP Gen 2 (Not LCP II).

1. Ammo Capacity - The .40 S&W holds 13+1 or 15+1 depending on mag. 9x19mm would be 15+1 or 17+1.

2. Ammo Cost .40 S&W at LGS
    .40 S&W Blazer 180 FMJ "Seconds"
    $7.99-50 (Less per 1000)
    $79.99-350-180 GDHP "Seconds"
    $29.99-50 for 180 GDHP "Firsts"

3. I shoot the same split times with the .40 S&W 4" Barrel and a 4.25" 9x19mm barrel and the .40 S&W barrel is more accurate.

4. I do not shoot the 9mm Shield (Slightly smaller platform) or P365 anywhere near as well as the .45 Shield.

5. I shoot the LCP the worst. The LCP gives me wandering POI due to inconsistent grip (goes from 3/4" low left to 3/4" high right depending on initial grip) but the groups themselves are not bad. Around an inch at 7 yards slow fire and inside 6" rapid fire (Slow Fire Target enclosed). I am going to try the Hogue Sleeve to see if it helps.

Should I really go with a 9x19mm I shoot worse because it's the cool thing to do and it holds 2 more rounds than the .40 S&W?

7 Rounds - 7 Yards - Offhand - .380 ACP Horn AG XTP
    Changing your preferred caliber to 9mm is not "the cool" thing to do; it's the "trendy" thing to do. Not necessarily the smartest move for everyone.

Stick with the M&P40 Compact! Awesome choice, all across the board.

I've carried either an M&P40 Full size or M&P40 Compact for a number of years now and there isn't a thing about 9mm, nor about any new pistols that have given me any reason to change what I carry.
    OD* likes this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." ~~ John Gierach
    Holly crap!! I am a success!!! Who knew? I always thought it was a negative thing....lol
    Wavygravy, OD* and ETXhiker like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

You surely will do just fine with a 9mm. But it is up to you IMO the 40 and 10mm are way over rated as SD CC.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    9x19mm at 15 Yards Group
    So where is the 9mm hitting? What size is the 8-ring? Also, speed of presentation is important. Can you rattle off six rounds into the CM of a standard-sized silhouette in say 2 seconds with both calibers? From what you are saying about the .40 and the .45 I would stick to the .40 simply because reduced recoil generally means one can get more rounds on target easier and quicker.

Forget bullseye shooting. It's good for comparison and a small part of practice, but for defensive use, it generally comes down to quick, multiple rounds into one's attacker, no matter where it is on the body. Yes, center mass or head shots (especially head shots) are more reliable at stopping a threat, but any and every hit has a psychological impact.
    Here is 25 Rounds at 15 yards out of the .45 Shield. It's about 4.25" thanks to that one especially egregious flyer (wish I could blame something other than the nut behind the trigger). About 3.5" if you give me a Mulligan on that one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I Carry a 9mm?-img_20200215_155109754_hdr_1581807236213.jpg  

ETXhiker and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I like it when we get a glimpse of a member in their natural habitat.
    From knowing your choice in edc I figured you were a man of style and class.
    Not disappointed.
    Wow! Thanks for that wonderful compliment, my brother!
    matthew03 and OD* like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Genitron search can tell you their opinion on best Defensive Carry as well as other criteria and filters to give answers to what's best generally.
    Any gun coach will tell you that what you shoot best = best for defense

As for me, regardless that James Bond carried a 380 and 9mm "is cool - mainly b/c beginners don't flinch as much during recoil - then divert attention to more ammo (in case they miss so often + needs more ammo to stop a jerk or druggy that feels nothing) ... and I realize that .38spl is similar to 9mm, the age old police/military sidekick ... gotta say, don't care to have a long running gun battle nor always have "head shot", sooooooooo
    357mag
    45acp
    offer the most carry options

Should I Carry a 9mm?-ea3abf81-80d3-42bf-872f-a19cabdd21a1.jpeg
    Bad Bob, matthew03, OD* and 2 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Clear Ballistics Gel is not a reliable media. Bullets that fail to expand in Clear Gel can expand in "FBI" Gel. Bullets that expand and go 20" in CB can go 15" in FG.
    No Gel test tells you anything but what it does in gel.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Here is 25 Rounds at 15 yards out of the .45 Shield. It's about 4.25" thanks to that one especially egregious flyer (wish I could blame something other than the nut behind the trigger). About 3.5" if you give me a Mulligan on that one.
    No Mulligans in gun fights.
    Wavygravy, OD* and Militant like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links