Should I Carry a 9mm?

Should I Carry a 9mm?

This is a discussion on Should I Carry a 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a different twist on the 9mm thing. What should I carry? Primary carry - .40 S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 4" Summer Carry - ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Should I Carry a 9mm?

I've got a different twist on the 9mm thing. What should I carry?

Primary carry - .40 S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 4"

Summer Carry - .45 Shield

Backup/Beach Shorts - .380 LCP Gen 2 (Not LCP II).

1. Ammo Capacity - The .40 S&W holds 13+1 or 15+1 depending on mag. 9x19mm would be 15+1 or 17+1.

2. Ammo Cost .40 S&W at LGS
    .40 S&W Blazer 180 FMJ "Seconds"
    $7.99-50 (Less per 1000)
    $79.99-350-180 GDHP "Seconds"
    $29.99-50 for 180 GDHP "Firsts"

3. I shoot the same split times with the .40 S&W 4" Barrel and a 4.25" 9x19mm barrel and the .40 S&W barrel is more accurate.

4. I do not shoot the 9mm Shield (Slightly smaller platform) or P365 anywhere near as well as the .45 Shield.

5. I shoot the LCP the worst. The LCP gives me wandering POI due to inconsistent grip (goes from 3/4" low left to 3/4" high right depending on initial grip) but the groups themselves are not bad. Around an inch at 7 yards slow fire and inside 6" rapid fire (Slow Fire Target enclosed). I am going to try the Hogue Sleeve to see if it helps.

Should I really go with a 9x19mm I shoot worse because it's the cool thing to do and it holds 2 more rounds than the .40 S&W?

7 Rounds - 7 Yards - Offhand - .380 ACP Horn AG XTP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I Carry a 9mm?-img_20200204_161916845_1581390274568.jpg  

Last edited by Tightwad; February 10th, 2020 at 11:45 PM.
    bigpapa likes this.

Senior Moderator
    "Should I really go with a 9x19mm I shoot worse because it's the cool thing to do ..."

For starters this would be a terrible reason to choose a handgun for personal defense. Every other reason is better than because it's the "cool" thing to do.

'Course I think it's the cool thing to do for you to carry the .40 or the .45.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

Carry the one you shoot worst. I'll feel safer.
    PEF, halem1, Militant and 17 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    sure.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Should I really go with a 9x19mm I shoot worse because it's the cool thing to do ..."

For starters this would be a terrible reason to choose a handgun for personal defense. Every other reason is better than because it's the "cool" thing to do.

'Course I think it's the cool thing to do for you to carry the .40 or the .45.
    I'm sorry, I guess I'm just tired of getting the eye roll after 35 years. In the 80's I wasn't serious because I carried a .38 Super, In the 90's I wasn't serious because I carried a .45 ACP. In the 00's I wasn't serious because I carried a 9x19mm. Now I'm not serious because I carry a .40 S&W. Is it that hard to understand someone that carries what they can shoot and to @#$ with what caliber it happens to be?

Next decade it will be because I carry a 9x19mm and everyone that's serious carries a .380 ACP.

Senior Moderator
    I was a cool guy. Then I went with a 45 ACP.

But now Iím a 38 Special, so thereís that, and I donít think that means much either.
    Henry9008, OD*, Militant and 5 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I carry a 9mm and a 10mm.
    Henry9008, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Folks... about 'ammo cost'. Don't get to penny pinching over cost of ammo (unless you shoot by the bucket full each month.. then the cost really goes up.)

If you handload you can cut the cost down. Buy the power, primers, slugs in bulk! Scrounge brass off the range. Use a .22 version of your carry gun for warmups. Even scrounge targets!!! Shoot cheep, shoot more, and don't waste your practice ammo by plinking.)

I shoot 9mm, .38 spl., .45, and some times .357 Sig, .44 magnum, and 10mm. Yea I reload for them all (the old Lee Turret press I use is over 35 years old!!!

I might be the outlier but depending on the day I may be carrying 9MM, 38 Super, 10MM or 45ACP all in the antiquated 1911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

The .45 Shield is a very good carry gun.
    ETXhiker and 5lima30ret like this.

I carry a 9mm and an 11.5mm!

Should I Carry a 9mm?

OP, I see through your decoy question. You just want to buy a new gun. So buy it. :)

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead1026 View Post
    OP, I see through your decoy question. You just want to buy a new gun. So buy it. :)
    I already have a 9x19mm that I shoot better than the others but the Canik TP9SF is a little large for a carry gun. Sure does work for a "Game Gun" though. Mine even eats 9x19mm 115 FMJ Federal Black Pack without issue. (Supposedly they are sprung for 124 NATO so don't always handle weak US Ammo well).

I am considering picking up a Walther P99C AS just because I've always been intrigued by the triple-mode trigger system. Whether I would carry it would be a long term decision (Kind of like getting married).
    Last edited by Tightwad; February 11th, 2020 at 12:11 AM.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    I carry a 9mm and an 11.5mm!
    Sounds suspiciously like a .45 ACP...
    Henry9008 and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Sure, I have 9mm's and a .40 as well that I shoot well BUT in my house, the .45ACP is alive! It's my main EDC caliber. Carried my HK USPC .45 stainless slide w/2 extra 12 rd mags last night while my wife and I were out.

Last edited by Militant; February 11th, 2020 at 01:34 AM.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

ďA manís rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge boxĒ - Frederick Douglas

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links