Ruger LCP - Page 2

Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A hollow point (regardless of caliber) might expand but a hollow point that doesn't expand acts like a FMJ. But an FMJ can't expand. It ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP

A hollow point (regardless of caliber) might expand but a hollow point that doesn't expand acts like a FMJ. But an FMJ can't expand. It would be most advantageous to do some research for how hollow points perform in ballistic gel to get an idea of how brands of bullets expand and/or penetrate. Remember that people wear clothing that can plug up a hollow point effectively making that hollow point behave like a FMJ.

Google can provide lots of sources but since we are discussing 380 here is just one resource:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...-tests/#380ACP
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Just last week I ordered a couple of boxes of the .380 ammo in the article below but haven't had a chance to shoot it. It intrigued me with the specs of 1500 fps for a .380 and a fragmenting hollow point that really opens up.

Anybody buy or use it yet? Here's an article: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...-hollow-point/

I carry these...the Precision One in the gun and two reload mags:

https://precisiononeammunition.com/p...gr-hp-xtppnew/

And I carry two reload mags loaded with these:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785708146745

I still have some good quality FMJ's, but I've been carrying the Underwood loads in their place for a while now.

At some point, everybody who owns a 380 should watch this. His tests are better than any done by anybody.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    Link doesn't work

Distinguished Member
    I'm sure experts can prove me wrong, but imo Hornady American Gunner XTP is comparable to Precision One and a lot cheaper.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I just stick to brand name FMJ for my LCP and it is always reliable.

For the XTP I like any ammo loaded with the Hornady XTP. In general the faster it is the better chance it has of expanding especially in the 4LD Test.

In general out of the LCP it tends to expand (rather modestly) and penetrate 12-14" or tumble and penetrate 15-18". In a 2.75" barreled .380 ACP that is currently as good as we can get. Some bullets are more consistent but they are consistently short and adequate penetration is requirement #1.

The Precision One results on Ammo Quest were basically a result of chance or lot to lot variation. It is after all the same bullet and PO was neither the slowest nor the fastest using that same bullet. Run the test again with a different lot of ammo (variation in production, powder, bullets etc) and a different xtp might win.

Hornady XTP (American Gunner, Black or Custom they are all the same just marketing), Precision One +P and Underwood Standard Pressure will all be about the same. Generally in the 850-900.fps range depending on lot to lot variations and test conditions. Precision One Standard Pressure and Fiocchi tend to be loaded a little softer and HPR tends to be the mildest.

As to it.being just a belly gun? It doesn't have to be. Not if you put in the time with it.

LCP - Hornady American Gunner 90 XTP
    7 Yards - 7 Rounds - Offhand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger LCP-img_20200204_161916845_1581560803959.jpg  

ETXhiker likes this.

Just curious, what did your SWAT team carry in Texas?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

I use this in my Beretta Pico.
    Ruger LCP-bb11012.jpg
    Running 1,050 FPS from the tiny niney.
    5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.

Luckygunner.com has ammo tests in various calibers. Worth a look. I'm using PMC Starfire. If I get in a shoot out with a block of ballistics jello, I should do well!
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    Two of the best choices in my opinion.
    Also the American Gunner line of XTP is very affordable comparable to other ammo. $14 / 25 rds in my area. WWB has become more expensive. Wally world use to be a great source for that, but I'm sure you can find it online. 100 rd boxes use to be around $35 up to six months ago.
    Affordable defensive ammo is one of the more overlooked parts of training I think.
    At $1.25 a pop for some of the high end JHP stuff you have to wonder what you're really getting for your money, and can you afford to keep training with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Hornady 90 gr XTP or WWB flat point FMJ for me.
    Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    This is very important.

LGS Prices

Aguilla .380 ACP $10.99 per 50 .
    Hornady American Gunner XTP $12.99 per 25.

.40 S&W Gold Dot $24.99 for 50
    .40 S&W Gold Dot "Seconds, Not for Duty Carry" $79.99 per 350
    .40 S&W Blazer Aluminum "Seconds" $7.99 per 50

The primary reason I use Gold Dots for carry in that application is I can get "Seconds" for function testing at a reasonable price.
    1gunsnowbird and ETXhiker like this.

Hornady XTP 90gr JHP. Cheap and effective. Academy Sports carries them for $17 for 25 rounds
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I use this in my Beretta Pico.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb11012.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	313760
    Running 1,050 FPS from the tiny niney.
    The LCP is not a PIco. Pico is +P Rated (Whatever the ammo Manufacturer decides that is). About the only +P I would consider is Precision One (Only because I doubt it's over 21,500 psi) and even at that PO doesn't recommend it for the LCP. The Buffalo Bore and Underwood +P is going to be way hotter than that.
    forester58 and ETXhiker like this.

i read something about do not use +P ammo in the LCP.

as far as putting time in with the gun, I am looking forward to getting accurate with it out to about 25 feet,maybe 30 feet tops. dont think i can expect more out of a 2.75 inch barrel, and for defense and it being the last resort weapon like all firearms and even knives should be, i dont think it would be used in a defensive situation at more than 7 feet.

Buy a couple box’s of FMJ practice and make sure the gun is 100% reliable....Done

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links