Ruger LCP - Page 3

Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rugerboy357 i read something about do not use +P ammo in the LCP. as far as putting time in with the gun, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP

BHC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerboy357 View Post
    i read something about do not use +P ammo in the LCP.

as far as putting time in with the gun, I am looking forward to getting accurate with it out to about 25 feet,maybe 30 feet tops. dont think i can expect more out of a 2.75 inch barrel, and for defense and it being the last resort weapon like all firearms and even knives should be, i dont think it would be used in a defensive situation at more than 7 feet.
    When I first purchased my LCPii, I fired 5 rounds of +p....never again!! I stick with XTP rounds (Precision One). They seem to perform well and my LCP likes them.
    Last edited by BHC; February 14th, 2020 at 07:10 AM.
    Rugerboy357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BHC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerboy357 View Post
    i read something about do not use +P ammo in the LCP.

as far as putting time in with the gun, I am looking forward to getting accurate with it out to about 25 feet,maybe 30 feet tops. dont think i can expect more out of a 2.75 inch barrel, and for defense and it being the last resort weapon like all firearms and even knives should be, i dont think it would be used in a defensive situation at more than 7 feet.
    When I first purchased my LCPii, I fired 5 rounds of +p....never again!! I stick with HST rounds (Precision One). They seem to perform well and my LCP likes them.
    Federal has made the HST available to Precision One now?

I would like to see a test of the PO 95 gr Gold JHP just out of curiosity.
    BHC likes this.

BHC
    Thanks for catching that. I meant to say XTP, I will correct it. I use the Federal Premium HST 9MM 124 grain JHP in my 9mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I pick it up this evening, i have written down the names of some of the suggested ammo for the little LCP and will see what the store has in stock. I have a feeling that today is going to be a long day at the office because of the excitement, just like i get when i am purchasing a new vehicle or something.
    Armybrat and ETXhiker like this.

Hope you like yours as much as I do mine - have been totin’ it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for almost 12 years. Never a failure.
    In fact bought two more as gifts for family members....

Name:  07CD7FFF-9E12-4763-AAE4-C859D098BD4E.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  61.2 KB
    OakBluff likes this.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

The below notation is copied directly from the Buffalo Bore website. As you will note, they basically say what most shooters already know and that is that everyone in the gun industry covers their axx concerning liability. I personally keep Buffalo Bore 380 +p jhp in both my LCP ll and my Kahr p380 for personal protection when I don't have my P365. I shoot a mag of hot loads every couple of times a year( just so I know how they "feel"), but I shoot plain old fmc range ammo to practice.
    Maybe I am hurting my Ruger, but I haven't noticed any wear on the pistol and I feel much better carrying a hot enough load to expand the HP. I am also looking into the Underwood Lehigh penetrator loads that are made of solid copper with machined flutes that create a hugh wound cavity due to the spinning projectile causing hydrostatic pressure.
    1. Can I shoot your +P 380 Auto ammo in my LCP?

Yes you can. Gun makers often warn against using any ammo that is not SAAMI spec. and there is no SAAMI spec. for the 380 auto +P cartridge. Gun makers do this to protect themselves from any liability in our super litigious American society.

Buffalo Bore and others have tested our 380 auto +P ammo in the LCP and many LCP owners currently shoot our +P ammo in their LCPs and we've never heard of any problems from the "power" or "pressure" of the ammo, but obviou,sly the use of +P ammo in these little guns should be limited to just enough to test reliable feeding and point of impact, then carry the ammo in your LCP in the event you need it, but don't go plinking with it.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

The two defensive loads that I use in my LCP are...
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...ican-gunner#!/
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...cal-defense#!/

I chose these two rounds over all others because POA/POI are identical at 10yds.

David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Check out this youtube channel. Lucky gunner has tons of great videos on bullet selection. They do all the research and put all their findings into an easily understandable chart. this video focuses on .380 however they have plenty of other videos on other calibers and firearms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links