Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning, Well after work yesterday i went to my local gun store and looked at the Ruger Security 9 and the Ruger LCP. Because ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

Good morning,

Well after work yesterday i went to my local gun store and looked at the Ruger Security 9 and the Ruger LCP. Because of the price, I bought the Ruger LCP they had on consignment that came with 3 magazines and a IWB holster. Since I just bought my Vaquero Bisely a month ago I really did not want to spend much more than $350 for this weapon, and I got it for $249.00 with taxes and fees. My local gun store offers a 10% discount on accessories and ammo the day of purchase and the day of pick up, plus a range pass for 2 two hour sessions.

I think I will be happy with it, and I think I got a good deal on it, I just have to figure out what defensive ammo to get for it, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be good.

I think a .380 is considered a 9mm short, so suggestions for a good defensive ammo would be good, I am thinking hollow points but more interested in what brand.

Nice get.
    While not a range toy, it does provide deep concealment. Now all ya need is a good pocket holster.
    Rugerboy357 likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    I have an LCP but I consider it as a belly gun for close in work. I prefer FMJ as some hollow point .380 ammo just doesn't have enough oomph to open properly. But you may feel differently about that.
    Rugerboy357 likes this.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

i guess that is one thing i didnt think about being used to a .357 and have to worry about it traveling beyond the intended target. i know the range ammo i bought for it last night is i think 90 grain FMJ

WHat type of ammo for a Ruger LCP .380?

I just purchased a Ruger LCP .380, and wondering what ammo to get for defensive purposes for it, i am thinking some kind of hollow point but being a .380 i am sure. i have always had full size .357 pistols.

If you can find it, I'd recommend a company called Precision One. They use an XTP bullet in their hollow points, very accurate and work well.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Most will probably disagree, but on the rare occasion when I carry a .380, I have gone back to FMJ for guaranteed penetration. If you do carry hollow points, the Hornady XTP seems to be a bullet that will penetrate and (sometimes) expand too.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I carry the Browning 94gr FMJ w/ flat nosed profile. It feeds 100% reliably and can ensure consistent & adequate penetration which is important to me in a .380! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

thanks for the advice, i guess i was thinking about .357 where you do not want it penetrating too much and going thru the intended target.
    drmordo and 5lima30ret like this.

I have Hornady Critical Defense 90Gr. in mine when I carry it.Just be sure and try whatever you chose to make sure it feeds reliably.I have not had any trouble with ammo with my LCP,but Sometimes guns can be picky on feeding certain brands/nose profiles.
    ETXhiker, 10thmtn and 5lima30ret like this.

Distinguished Member
    Hornady 90 gr XTP or WWB flat point FMJ for me.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I used to carry FMJ, but after much reexamination, I've switched Hornady American Gunner XTP in my LCP II. Precision One performs just a bit better, but tends to be much less available.

What ever you choose, just make sure it cycles reliably and it goes where you point it.
    5lima30ret, Old Man and ETXhiker like this.

Two of the best choices in my opinion.
    Also the American Gunner line of XTP is very affordable comparable to other ammo. $14 / 25 rds in my area. WWB has become more expensive. Wally world use to be a great source for that, but I'm sure you can find it online. 100 rd boxes use to be around $35 up to six months ago.
    Affordable defensive ammo is one of the more overlooked parts of training I think.
    At $1.25 a pop for some of the high end JHP stuff you have to wonder what you're really getting for your money, and can you afford to keep training with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Hornady 90 gr XTP or WWB flat point FMJ for me.
    Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

flh
    When I had a LCP I reloaded for it , fmj and Hornady 90gr. xtp, the weapon functioned properly,
    ETXhiker likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links