I said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied

This is a discussion on I said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided it was time to face the truth that concealing a larger handgun is difficult, especially in summer under lightweight clothing. So I decided ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: I said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied

I decided it was time to face the truth that concealing a larger handgun is difficult, especially in summer under lightweight clothing. So I decided to rent some different tiny 9mm pistols to see if I could find one that was tolerable. In the end I came home with a new P365. Not only could I tolerate it, I was duly impressed with it's accuracy and relatively mild recoil. No need to change sights or anything else, it's good to go out of the box. Based on recent feedback it appears they resolved the early problems and the newest ones are reliable and durable.

For those who have decided to carry the P365, how many rounds did you put through it with no failures before you were confident enough to carry it? Also need to wade through the sea of IWB/AIWB holster options and find one I can live with.

I said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied-p365_2.jpgI said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied-p365_1.jpg

I have about 2000 rounds through mine, and it's an early one. Felt pretty good about it after 500. It performs very well for me -- real steel killer and easy to hide. One of the few little guns that you can practice with, with absolutely no penalty, unlike a Glock 43.

I have been confident from the first shot and have had no problems. Jan. 30th 2019. Put a hogue slip on grip on it and has been as close to perfect as a gun this size can be. I prefer my P320 .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve seen half dozen to a dozen of them on the range no issues. Shot some through them myself. If I bought one Iíd run a 50-100 rounds of carry ammo through it and carry away.

BHC
    Added Hogue Grip, fits hand perfectly. Around 800 rounds so far without a single issue! Very confident after the 1st 300. I've recently found (with the help of folks here) that it easily fits into the front pocket of several pairs of jeans. It's now my daily carry.

I started carrying mine after about 300 rounds of assorted ammo. I now have about 800 rounds downrange with nary a bobble. The accuracy of this little pistol is surprising.

Good Choice! I am a new fan as well.

I wouldn't call a sub-compact 9mm a "dinky" gun.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I wouldn't call a sub-compact 9mm a "dinky" gun.
    Compared to the S&W 4566 TSW I normally carry, it definitely is dinky, LOL!

The 365 is a "big little gun". Carries like a small gun and shoots like a large one. First range session with mine I put about 200 rds thru it with zero malfunctions. I would have been comfortable carrying it after the first couple of magazines. It's been my experience that if the gun runs initially, it will continue to run until it fails due to faulty ammo, lack of proper maintenance, or parts breakage. Great choice, the P 365.
    str1

VIP Member
    Got my first P365 in October of 2018. I have probably put 800 rounds through it. No issues of any kind.

I liked the pistol so much that when I saw a great price on one locally, I bought a second one last March. I only have a couple hundred rounds through #2 at this point, but I'd trust either one of them without hesitation. I have pretty big hands, and find that with the 12-rd pinky-rest mag, the P365 fits me like a glove. One of the finest practical carry pistols ever made, IMHO, and I've had more than a few.
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; February 13th, 2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Correction on dates. Senior moment.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array Chicagobill's Avatar
    Does this count as a dinky gun?I said I would never carry a dinky gun, but I lied-image.jpeg
    ETXhiker likes this.

I rented a Springfield Hellcat and a Sig P365 the other day. I was impressed with the p365, how it felt in hand and more so how easy it was to shoot accurately especially for a gun that size. I put 100 rounds through it without issue. It being a rental gun at Budís Iím sure itís seen a lot of rounds.
    I ended up buying a P365 XL. I put 400 rounds (100 WWB 115gr FMJ, 50 FM 135gr. HP, 100 Federal AM 147gr. FMJ, 100 Aguila 124gr. FMJ and 50 Gold Dot 124gr. +P FMJ) through it yesterday without a bobble.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagobill View Post
    Does this count as a dinky gun?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	313874
    That looks huge compared to my Kel-tec .32.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Chicagobill and ETXhiker like this.

I've run about 500 rounds through mine without a hiccup. I ran 200 FMJ and 50 JHP through before I carried it. My wife has her own and hers has performed equally well with about 700 rounds through hers.

Right now, I only use it for pocket carry and use a Vedder Pocket holster. But I have a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster on order. I doubt I will carry it with the AIWB holster often, but I like having choices.
    You are your own first responder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links