Cured of the 1911 itch

Cured of the 1911 itch

This is a discussion on Cured of the 1911 itch within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve considered getting a 1911 for a long time, just to see if I was missing something. Well, got to shoot a friends high end ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Cured of the 1911 itch

Cured of the 1911 itch

Iíve considered getting a 1911 for a long time, just to see if I was missing something.

Well, got to shoot a friends high end Sig 1911 today. I had to hunt for the front sight...the vaunted perfect grip angle, wasnít, for me. I could not reach the mag release without shifting my grip, and there was no way for me to reach the slide stop/release with my shooting hand thumb.

The trigger was nice, and it was very accurate, but itís not for me. Not enough to justify learning a whole new manual of arms.

The Glock grip angle works for me, I can reach the slide stop/release easily, and it seems to actually have less recoil despite weighing less.

However... I also got to shoot his 4 inch Ruger GP100 Match Champion, which he did some additional trigger work on. Holy cow was that gun sweet. Trigger like butter, even in DA. Might be another wheel gun in the cards...

Mostly shot my SP101, now sporting Altamont walnut grip inserts. Seem to be swinging back to revolvers, now that my wife is carrying her own gun more...I donít have to worry as much about her ability to work my gun.

So whatever I save by not buying a 1911...might be going toward a revolver lol.
    forester58, msgt/ret, JD and 15 others like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Hey, sounds like you did your own investigative shooting and arrived at a logical conclusion for yourself.
    BTW, I have a stock as a rock GP100 that everybody swears I did trigger work on. No, just got a good one and its only gotten better over time. That is one I will never sell.

I maybe missed it but, what is your wife carrying now?

I like the Altamont grips inserts as well.
    Cured of the 1911 itch-357s.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Hey, sounds like you did your own investigative shooting and arrived at a logical conclusion for yourself.
    BTW, I have a stock as a rock GP100 that everybody swears I did trigger work on. No, just got a good one and its only gotten better over time. That is one I will never sell.

I maybe missed it but, what is your wife carrying now?

I like the Altamont grips inserts as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357s.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	314126
    Beautiful!

She is carrying her LCP in a Flashbang holster. The right holster made all the difference for her.
    forester58 and airslot like this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    The 1911 isn't for everyone. I haven't tried a sig 1911. I can see where the grip angle wouldn't work as you have never shot one but trained with Glocks. Mine is the reverse so it makes sense. Love me some revolvers to.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I don't think I have ever shot a pistol that I did not have to adjust my grip to hit the mag release or the slide lock. Grip angle is a training issue. In the end, whatever works for you.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Tough to unlearn a handgun your muscle memory is programmed for. Good thing you learned that free...
    10thmtn and SpringerXD like this.
    Still Clingin'

Big fan of 1911s myself but with my stubby little fingers I have to shift my grip to reach the mag release or slide stop.
    mkh, airslot and Bad Bob like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Big fan of 1911s myself but with my stubby little fingers I have to shift my grip to reach the mag release or slide stop.
    I have to do that with most autos.
    msgt/ret, airslot, Havok and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yes. The Glock presents a high front sight for me ( as with most people), which I like, especially for CQB style shooting where a Flash Sight Picture is the prescriptive method.

There is a bit of curve to adjusting to the difference in the grip angle to acquire the sight, but as Bad Bob said, thatís a simple training issue.

Regardless of the pistol I use, I need to adjust my grip to manipulate the controls.
    mkh, gasmitty, airslot and 6 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I learned as a youth with the 1911.
    To me it is the perfect platform.
    At 63 I can still carry a full size.
    I am trying to stay fit enough so I donít have to get used to different EDC.
    I also like revolvers, so I might have to switch to one of them when I hit 90

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I learned as a youth with the 1911.
    To me it is the perfect platform.
    At 63 I can still carry a full size.
    I am trying to stay fit enough so I donít have to get used to different EDC.
    I also like revolvers, so I might have to switch to one of them when I hit 90
    I have a hard time holding a full size steady thee days. My Sig is a commander on an officer frame and the EMP is an officer size 1911. I just find the officer size easier to conceal and run well.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    As a revolverguy I like where you're head is.

I used to think every gun guy needs to have a 1911 in their collection. But I've never gotten one (have shot them) and after years of focusing on revolver shooting I've lost interest in adding any more semi autos. If I want to shoot a single action I'll grab my Flattop 44.
    10thmtn and sparkyfender like this.

There is no cure for me. At seventy-three, I am still carrying a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine OWB plus pocket carrying a Sig P938 9mm plus a spare magazine.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I've had my hands on precisely one Glock, a simulator /training pistol. Can't remember the number. That was about ten years ago when I was in college. The college had it. I hadn't yet started collecting worthless pistols yet so I had no muscle memory. I hated the grip angle right off the bat. I was taught that correct grip angle for a person can be sort of found closing your eyes while looking a some particular place about should height across a room, lift your shootin fist with your finger out like a toy gun with your eyes closed and point at that spot from the mental picture. Someone else would look at where your finger pointed naturally. That was your grip angle. If your finger pointed below the spot, you would do well with a Glock grip, if not you would do well with almost anything else not Glock. Truly scientific it was.

My finger pointed right at the spot I had been looking at, so my natural grip angle is more vertical than Glocks are. When I held that Glock I was aiming too high all the time.
    WC145 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Iíve considered getting a 1911 for a long time, just to see if I was missing something.

Well, got to shoot a friends high end Sig 1911 today. I had to hunt for the front sight...the vaunted perfect grip angle, wasnít, for me. I could not reach the mag release without shifting my grip, and there was no way for me to reach the slide stop/release with my shooting hand thumb.

The trigger was nice, and it was very accurate, but itís not for me. Not enough to justify learning a whole new manual of arms.

The Glock grip angle works for me, I can reach the slide stop/release easily, and it seems to actually have less recoil despite weighing less.

However... I also got to shoot his 4 inch Ruger GP100 Match Champion, which he did some additional trigger work on. Holy cow was that gun sweet. Trigger like butter, even in DA. Might be another wheel gun in the cards...

Mostly shot my SP101, now sporting Altamont walnut grip inserts. Seem to be swinging back to revolvers, now that my wife is carrying her own gun more...I donít have to worry as much about her ability to work my gun.

So whatever I save by not buying a 1911...might be going toward a revolver lol.
    When you are shopping for revolvers don't overlook the older Dan Wesson's! They have triggers and actions that are as good and sometimes better than Colts for a LOT less $$$ Good luck!
    This is my 1982 15-2 Dan Wesson
    Attachment 314164
    msgt/ret, Kilowatt3 and drmordo like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links