J Frame Advice - Page 2

J Frame Advice

This is a discussion on J Frame Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a like new (previous owner put 5 rounds thru it and quit) 360 Airweight and the first thing I did was replace the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: J Frame Advice

I bought a like new (previous owner put 5 rounds thru it and quit) 360 Airweight and the first thing I did was replace the grips with a Hogue monogrip. The gun shoots very well and IMHO the finger groove grip helps not only with recoil but grip memory which also helps in the accuracy department too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I prefer full size grips on my J frame.

I use the Uncle Mikes combat grips - really make shooting a J frame much more pleasant. They are discontinued but can still be found regularly on eBay.

S&W J frame combat rubber grips are pretty close if you cannot find the Uncle Mikes.

My wife has the Altamont Altai J frame grips on her 637 - they do a nice job too. Not quite as good as the rubber ones - but they do fill your hand so nicely you can get a good squeeze.

Any grip that fills your hand is going to be better for recoil than the boot grips...and if you don't pocket carry - who wants boot grips anyway???

Name:  j frame - mikes.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  25.2 KB uncle mikes
    Name:  j frame - S&W.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  4.7 KB S&W combat
    Name:  Jframe altai.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  20.3 KB Altamont Altai
    "All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years...As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.” ― Abraham Lincoln

Been shootin' my Model 36 since '74 …...get a good set of grips and you'll be good to go....mine are Pachmyer rubber..
    TSKnight, Instymp and Haywood like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

In my experience, the best way to shoot a J-frame better is to get a bigger and heavier revolver with a longer barrel.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I have a S&W 342 Airlight Ti. It was difficult to shoot until my wife bought Crimson Trace grips for it one Christmas. The CT grips made all the difference for me. Every now and then I get the impulse to fuss with one of my firearms, so I installed a spring kit in it which made the trigger seem lighter. I have no problems with it now.
    TSKnight and Haywood like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

I've used Pachmayr Compacs on J frames since 1978 and they do make it much more comfortable to shoot and aid in shooting accurately. They do not all that much in concealment as many claim. Try Pachmayr, Hogues or Uncle Mike's combats before you spend your money on springs. Snap caps are great advice as a smooth trigger does not feel as heavy.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member, US Army vet '72-'78, Retired Detective Lieutenant, Former NMLEA Firearms Instructor.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    In my experience, the best way to shoot a J-frame better is to get a bigger and heavier revolver with a longer barrel.
    I have custody of a 6" K frame in 357 mag, but it is difficult to conceal...accurate and sweet to shoot!
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I have custody of a 6" K frame in 357 mag, but it is difficult to conceal...accurate and sweet to shoot!

I do not currently own any S&W J-frame revolvers. I do own an alloy 2" Colt Cobra .38 special built in 1952 and a 2 1/2" Colt Python .357 magnum. My preferred concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. My open carry revolvers have from 6" to 8" barrels.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Went to the range today and found it hard to shoot my 442 well. I need grips that cover the back-strap, thus giving me more length of pull.

I love these little guns. I do not pocket carry it. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thank you

If you are not going to pocket carry, I would suggest Pachmayr Compacs. I use them on my 442 when I'm not pocket carrying. They really fill the hand nicely and make shooting full power +P ammunition a lot more enjoyable.

I normally always pocket carry (weakside front pocket) mine though. So I use my wood boot grips, which greatly facilitates pocket carry.

And I'm sort of a recoil junkie, so it doesn't bother me to shoot a box of the hot stuff at each practice session.

Good choice with the 442 by the way. Best snubby ever invented imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200218-121530_gallery_1582050819237.jpg  

J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200218-121642_gallery_1582051277373.jpg  

J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200218-121403_gallery_1582051921776.jpg  

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Try different grips before you change springs or do anything else involving more work.

It really takes a lot of practice to master a snubby.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Wasting time and found the pics I mentioned earlier.

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ame-carry.html
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ur-edc-14.html

Text from the 25 yard thread:

Posted this in another thread and decided it really should have been here instead.

My EDC is a 1 7/8" S&W 36. Original owner was a local deputy. He sent it to S&W's custom shop and had it converted to DAO.
    Here's a recent 25 yard target with Federal 110grn Hydra-shocks:

There were a total of 25 shots fired at this target. If you count holes there are only 22 on the target. There is one hole just out of the picture to the left and there were two clean misses.
    The head shots were slow aimed with the sights. The body shots were a mix of slow and fast and some double taps. I believe it is the double taps that I missed.

I consistently shoot to the left with my 36 and it has gotten worse since I developed tendonitis in my right thumb. Left handed shooting past 15 ft is out of the question. When you can't feel your fingers, trigger control and grip are troublesome.
    Haywood likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    These J frame revolvers are meant for can't miss distances ............. like 9 to 21 feet point and shoot distances. Small handguns are HARD to shoot well, carrying a handgun you shoot well is going to be more uncomfortable than the mouse gun ............... decisions, decisions.

Speaking of decisions I need bourbon
    A J frame 38 IS a mouse gun.
    Wavygravy and forester58 like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    A J frame 38 IS a mouse gun.
    Mice prefer them?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Mice prefer them?
    Yes, because they are small, light and really only suitable for other mice.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Little guns are a lot of different things to different people.

It’s good that people have options that fill there needs.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links