J Frame Advice - Page 3

J Frame Advice

This is a discussion on J Frame Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: J Frame Advice

OD*
    Senior Moderator

Mouse gun

J Frame Advice-mousegun.jpg
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    I went full circle on grips on my S&W 360 Airweight. First, I replaced the boot grips with Hogue. Then, I went to Altamont all-wood (pretty, but man, did my hand hurt!). Finally, I settled on an Altamont "compromise." Good looks and good shooting!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

When I first started shooting J-Frames the stock Uncle Mikes Boot Grips were OK. As my hands got old the pain from a old injury came back faster and more often. I now use Pachmayr Compacts and Hogue Tamerís. They both fit most of my pockets when on the 2Ē gun and make Range Time enjoyable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J Frame Advice-7d02d66f-aba5-45d2-b208-daf65d5e0a16.jpeg  

Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I took a dremel and some sandpaper to my stock grips in order to make room for my speedloaders.

I carry my 442 weakside (left) front pocket and shooting left handed, I don't even notice the reduced left side of the grip, although shooting right handed, it's pretty noticeable.

But the only time I would be shooting it right handed is after I reloaded during the "gun fight", because I'm right handed, and it would be faster to get back into action, since the gun is already in my right hand after the reload, if that makes any sense.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I carry my speedloader in my pocket like this, to protect the hollowpoints from getting beat up, because my flashlight is also in my right front pocket. And also to keep em from fillin up with pocket lint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200219-161632_gallery_1582151407035.jpg  

J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200219-162830_gallery_1582151415398.jpg  

J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200219-162852_gallery_1582151427862.jpg  

Buy am LCR problem solved.
    drmordo and Bigsteve113 like this.

I recommend the Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grips. I have a set on my 642. They really help soak up the recoil with the pad on the backstap. They also are a boot grip style, so they work great for pocket carry. Lastly, they are a laser grip, and you get the benefit of the laser as a sighting aid for low light conditions. They really help shooting from any position or grip.
    Haywood likes this.

1. DIRTY (clean in to the bone)
    2. AMMO STINKS
    3. NEEDS FACTORY TUNEUP
    4. TRADE IT IN ON A RUGER (the happiest day of my 442 life) .. that said, can't best a S&W327Nt.Guard ... buy only S&W Performance Center items from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    These modified grips have helped my J frame shooting immensely. They're Uncle Mike's combat grips shortened for concealment carry. The covered backstrap gives me a much better finger-to-trigger relationship and keeps me off the cylinder release during recoil.
    I love my "new" Uncle Mike's grips and that idea is terrific if you pants pocket carry.
    Holmes375 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Buy am LCR problem solved.

I've been enjoying my LCR more and more here lately. It's taken me about 5 years to warm up to my "plastic" revolver. Something I honestly didn't think I would ever be able to do, despite it being my most accurate and easiest to shoot (snubby) revolver from the get go. In my hands anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J Frame Advice-screenshot_20200223-161637_gallery_1582496294046.jpg  

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I would definitely swap the springs. If you have a recent model with a frame mounted firing pin, I'd probly get a Cylinder and Slide extended pin and put it in as well.

Just make sure you use snap caps if you are dry firing it.

As for the grip, I prefer the OEM rubber boot grips with an exposed backstrap, so I can't help much there.
    OD* likes this.

My favorite J-frame grips are the old Herrett Shooting Star conversion grips (round butt to square).
    My second choice is Altamont Super Rosewood Combat grips.
    Third is Hogue laser grip with switch cover modified to make it easier to turn the laser on.
    I have small hands, so prefer exposed backstraps.

I was a better shot when my eyes were younger (never was a very good shot), and with a 1-7/8 J-frame it is (was) easy to pretty consistently hit coke cans out to about 75 feet. Personally, I think that makes it more than a 25 foot gun. I've currently got three airweight 637-2 J-frames converted to .357 Mag titanium cylinders and reamed for 9mm. I lighten the hammer, rebound, and firing pin springs.

A question, How new is your 360? if it is pretty new with a low round count...something you can do is get some snapcaps and dry fire it a lot...the internal parts will wear in and smooth out some...this is a cheap way to decide if you really want to have a smith work it over or go with a trigger kit like the ones from Apex...etc..I have 2 J-frames an 1980's production 640 no dash .38 spl only and a 642 pro cut for moon clips and no Hillary hole.. the 640 is a lot smoother than the 642 just due to wear in and round count through it...just MHO...it's worth a try for the low dollar investment it will cost you.
    OD*, Haywood and TSKnight like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hkusp9f View Post
    A question, How new is your 360? if it is pretty new with a low round count...something you can do is get some snapcaps and dry fire it a lot...the internal parts will wear in and smooth out some...this is a cheap way to decide if you really want to have a smith work it over or go with a trigger kit like the ones from Apex...etc..I have 2 J-frames an 1980's production 640 no dash .38 spl only and a 642 pro cut for moon clips and no Hillary hole.. the 640 is a lot smoother than the 642 just due to wear in and round count through it...just MHO...it's worth a try for the low dollar investment it will cost you.
    Excellent advice.
    G-man* and Haywood like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Get some snap caps and dry fire for at least ten minutes every day.

Concentrate on your grip, trigger pull, and your front sight. You will find the grip that works for you and your 442 when your trigger pull doesn't upset the front sight.

You will also find the trigger on your 442 getting smoother in the process. And you will also save a lot of money on ammo.
    Dry Fire is a great way to practice and helps break in your gun as well. My 340PD had an excellent trigger for a J-Frame, right out of the box. I didnít need to do a thing to it. I do dry fire it frequently using snap caps and practice reloads using speed strips between visits to the range. I shoot this gun first when going to the range, as it is the hardest gun to shoot well and has the heaviest trigger. After shooting the 340PD, especially with hotter loads, everything else is easy!

* Note: Iíve only shot .357 magnum rounds out of this gun a few times. It is brutal, to say the least. Brutal. I carry .38 Special +P Hornady Critical Defense, as it is designed for short barrels. I can control the gun much easier with the .38 +P and get back on target; with .357 mag rounds, it is difficult to bring the front sight back in place, and the numbness in your hand, arm and shoulder from the feeling of a stick of dynamite going off in your hand takes a bit to subside. This gun definitely is not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. The Pachmayr Compaq grip that I added is awesome. It adds a little length to the back strap and pulling the trigger is much easier. I have a Wilson spring kit to add. Canít wait for a range trip. I also have a 3Ē SP101. I tried Hogue grips but they were too long. I might add wood Pachmayrs. The 442 is urban CCW for me whereas the SP101 is rural/woods.

Thanks again for the help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links