Glock 26 Very Agressive Grip Texture

This is a discussion on Glock 26 Very Agressive Grip Texture within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously thinking about buying a Glock 26 Gen 5. Today I rented a Gen 4 for the first time at my range (they ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By APX-9M
  • 3 Post By MMinSC
  • 1 Post By BillG174

Thread: Glock 26 Very Agressive Grip Texture

I am seriously thinking about buying a Glock 26 Gen 5. Today I rented a Gen 4 for the first time at my range (they did not have a Gen 5 rental). It had the Pierce PG-26 grip extender that helped keep my pinky on the gun.

I was really surprised that the grip texture felt so sharp and rough when I griped the gun - I am a left handed shooter. I shot 50 rounds and the sharp grip texture hurt my hand and was very uncomfortable. I have a G17 and G30 Gen 4 with several thousand rounds shot and it appears their grip texture is much smoother. I wonder if through all of the shooting my skin and skin oil has smoothed out the texture a little.

The range didn't have a new 26 Gen 5 for me to look at the grip texture but they had a 19 Gen 5. The 19 grip texture appeared as sharp and rough at the 26 Gen 4 I rented which told me the Gen 5 grip is just as rough as the Gen 4.

I really want to like and buy the 26 Gen 5 which they would have to order for me. I will rent the 26 Gen 4 several more times to ensure I want to buy it but I am concerned about the uncomfortable aggressive grip texture.

I want to leave the 26 stock - I don't want to add grip covers, tape or send the gun to have the grip texture smoothed out.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks, Bill
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

SAF, GOA, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

I don't recall ever hearing someone complain about the grip texture on Glocks being to rough... I've heard people complain about the M&P 2.0, Beretta APX, and some other guns with sandpaper type grips, but never with Glocks... I personally don't think the grip texture is rough at all, and a matter of fact, many add sandpaper like grip tape (Talon Grips) to make it rougher.

To address your concerns, simply go buy some sandpaper, and run it across the grips until it's to your liking...
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I think there is some inconsistency in the gen 4 type texture. My 19 chews up by back/side when I carry it, but my 43 feels fine. The grip texture seems to be the same. I havenít tried to carry my 34 though so I donít know how that would be. None of them bother my hands at all though.
    We get the government we deserve.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is something that you don't hear very often. Without the option of using a grip sleeve, I'm not sure of things to try. What specific part of your hand is affected?

On a separate note, I would encourage you to shoot it with the flat flush fitting magazines and your pinky curled under the grip if needed. It felt awkward to me for 1 or 2 magazines but it quickly became second nature and I'm able to shoot the G27 and even the G29 with stout loads that way. To me personally, the grip height of the G26 makes it extremely concealable and it handles recoil well.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    I am seriously thinking about buying a Glock 26 Gen 5. Today I rented a Gen 4 for the first time at my range (they did not have a Gen 5 rental). It had the Pierce PG-26 grip extender that helped keep my pinky on the gun.

I was really surprised that the grip texture felt so sharp and rough when I griped the gun - I am a left handed shooter. I shot 50 rounds and the sharp grip texture hurt my hand and was very uncomfortable. I have a G17 and G30 Gen 4 with several thousand rounds shot and it appears their grip texture is much smoother. I wonder if through all of the shooting my skin and skin oil has smoothed out the texture a little.

The range didn't have a new 26 Gen 5 for me to look at the grip texture but they had a 19 Gen 5. The 19 grip texture appeared as sharp and rough at the 26 Gen 4 I rented which told me the Gen 5 grip is just as rough as the Gen 4.

I really want to like and buy the 26 Gen 5 which they would have to order for me. I will rent the 26 Gen 4 several more times to ensure I want to buy it but I am concerned about the uncomfortable aggressive grip texture.

I want to leave the 26 stock - I don't want to add grip covers, tape or send the gun to have the grip texture smoothed out.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks, Bill
    Honestly, Talon rubber finish grip wrap would take care of the problem nicely.

https://talongungrips.com/gun-grips/...6-27-28-33-39/

VIP Member
    I agree with the Talon grips as an option but the G26 is not a gun
    I would shoot hundreds of rounds through at the range,its a self defense
    carry gun I shoot occasionally myself just to stay sharp
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

I'd recommend using a wood rasp. The sharpest one you can find.
    Tape it around a piece of 1x2 trim board and practice squeezing the heck out of it until you toughen up your hands

I haven't handled a Gen5. You have me curious now.
    I did run a file across a new Shield backwards to tame the side of the grip that touched my skin while wearing it. You can't tell the difference from looking, but it feels better against the spare tire.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

I switched to the Gen 5 G26 last year as I preferred the lack of the finger grooves. At that time the Gen 5 texture felt less sharp to me but now I'm not so sure. I just compared it to my Gen 4 G21 that I carry daily. The texture on both feel very similar to me. I agree with the previous poster that stated to curl your pinky finger underneath the grip when shooting. It may feel odd at first but you might be surprised at how well these little pistols can shoot when you do that.

I have a G27 Gen2 that has the smooth finger grooves. I don't particularly enjoy shooting it, but I do practice with it, as it is my main defensive carry gun. Try an older version of the G26 to see if it is more comfortable to shoot.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

Just do pull ups everyday. The grip texture will not hurt your hands then and the increased grip strength makes you a better shooter.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

From the OP, thanks everyone for your comments and your thoughts. I will rent the 26 at my range a few more times before I make any final decisions on the grip texture.
    Last edited by BillG174; February 22nd, 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^^ Go Chiefs!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Thanks Rock and Glock!! KC is mighty proud of Patrick and the Chiefs!

Sponsored Links