Revolver or semi auto - Page 2

Revolver or semi auto

This is a discussion on Revolver or semi auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a Marlin 45/70 Lever, 12ga Shotgun, 9mm Hellcat, 357 Blackhawk, 45 1911, Taurus 85, 2 Cimmeron 4 3/4 38 spl. I carry ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Revolver or semi auto

I currently have a Marlin 45/70 Lever, 12ga Shotgun, 9mm Hellcat, 357 Blackhawk, 45 1911, Taurus 85, 2 Cimmeron 4 3/4 38 spl. I carry the Marlin on the horse when working cattle. I was concidering Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. The gun is for me no one else will be using them.
    Rock and Glock and rock185 like this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    I currently have a Marlin 45/70 Lever, 12ga Shotgun, 9mm Hellcat, 357 Blackhawk, 45 1911, Taurus 85, 2 Cimmeron 4 3/4 38 spl. I carry the Marlin on the horse when working cattle. I was concidering Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. The gun is for me no one else will be using them.
    For minimums, I'd say that you're already there. If you just have to thin out thin out something, look at the Taurus.IMHO
    Semper Paratus
    LimaCharlie, BamaT and Workaholic like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Ive always wanted a lever gun and a six shooter in the same caliber.
    demanic, Arejay, Struckat and 6 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

How altruistic would you be on the Hellcat and/or Taurus 85 cost? (just so you know, I don't have very many if any redeeming qualities)

Well the 45/70 isnt exactly a long range cartridge, so you might say it and the shotgun are redundant. The shotgun can do things the rifle cannot (bird shot) while the shotgun (with slugs) can mimic the lever gun. So, if you really want to rid yourself of guns, might start with the lever. Much as I hate to say it.

Next would be the two .38 since you have a .357.

Next would be the 1911, since you have a .357.

Next would be the Hellcat, as I would keep the Taurus 85 as a back up to the .357.

But really you have a modest collection so unless you really had to, Id say keep them all.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I prefer revolvers for carry and higher capacity autos for home defense.

The Hellcat will be useful if you get to the point where a heavy gun becomes too uncomfortable to carry.
    Also, a consideration is whether any of them have a particular sentimental value to you.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

If I could only keep one gun - it would be a rifle I could reload for. Probably a .308.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    You have what I call a "working collection." The only two that don't quite fit are the Cimmeron 38's. Sweet shooters, but not as versatile as the Blackhawk. If I were looking to rotate something out to pick up something new, these would be the ones I'd let go.
    You mention the Redhawk. It would make a great saddle gun in either 44 mag or 45 Colt/45acp carried in some quality leather to handle the weight. Add another lever gun in a matching caliber to compliment it when you don't feel the need for the heavier hitting 45/70. If you handload, the 44 mag and 45 Colt can be loaded to the lower end of 45/70 with 300grn pills.
    dangerranger and bigmacque like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I was concidering Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag.

That would be a great choice.

I had a blue Redhawk .44 in 7" years ago. Then one day at a bowling pin match I tried a friends 5 1/2" .44 using 900 - 1000 fps loads. I really liked the shorter one much more than my 7 or 7 1/2" Redhawk. I guess they have even more versions today.

If it were only one, I'd also go for the versatility of loads and bullets of a revolver especially if it were set up and tuned by someone who really knew what they were doing.
    BamaT likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

If you are looking for advise on thinning the herd, I would get rid of the Hellcat, the Taurus, and the two Cimarrons. The Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44 magnum would be a nice addition.

Note: I don't follow my own advise.
    forester58 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I have a blue 44 Redhawk. I've always thought the Redhawk is a better looking gun than the Super Redhawk. I guess the Super Redhawk is a bit stronger though.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

The Super Redhawk soaks up a little more recoil. I have the Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Some of us gather at the gun club for theme days. When we shoot our .454 Casull revolvers, everyone agrees my 7 1/2" Super Redhawk is the most pleasant to shoot.

Revolver or semi auto-super-redhawk.jpg
    CavemanBob and wmhawth like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Of coarse a case could be made for a TC Contender and an assortment of barrels. I'd often wished I'd come across one of those for deer hunting in Illinois rather than my Ruger Hunter in .44

I had one for the Masters years ago in 7mmTCU (556 brass) that would group 1 5/8" at 200 yards while fire-forming new old brass and shoot many a cloverleaf at 100 yards. It was way more accurate than the 30-30 I used the year before.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links