My personal 90 day challenge.

This is a discussion on My personal 90 day challenge. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a break from all the discussion and decided to get serious about training, guns and most importantly physical fitness. I used to be very ...

Like Tree38Likes
  • 15 Post By forester58
  • 5 Post By rlggray
  • 3 Post By Grizzly2
  • 3 Post By Dannyi
  • 2 Post By buckwheatpaul
  • 3 Post By G-man*
  • 5 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By G-man*
  • 1 Post By Skidboot

Thread: My personal 90 day challenge.

Took a break from all the discussion and decided to get serious about training, guns and most importantly physical fitness.

I used to be very good with a snub nosed revolver and the reason was its all I owned and all I trained with. There was no decision in the morning on what to carry or where on my person to carry it. It was the same day after day. I didn't buy expensive self defense ammo just an affordable 158 grain hollow point. I would stop at a little wooded piece of state land on the way home from work 3 to 4 days a week and just shoot a cylinder or two doing some drill or another with the ammo I carried.

I did this for most of 16 years before I got sucked into the gun buying addiction. Then my training lapsed because I shot multiple guns every time I went shooting. My skill with the snub dropped off to the point I questioned whether I should carry it at all, convenient or not.

My personal comfort level with any carry gun is at least the 5x5 drill, wizard drill or some type of timed from concealment drill being easily repeatable and have the ability to make COM hits out to 25 yards.

The skill of mastering a snub nosed revolver transfers nicely to shooting anything else but, the reverse is not true. Being good with a 1911 and switching back to a DA revolver, especially an airweight snub is a reality check at best. I carry a revolver for Grizzly defense so my DA skills are not something I can shrug off as unnecessary.
    I have really loved shooting my 1911. Its an amazing handgun and its not going anywhere but, it bothers me I have lost my small revolver skills.

I just read this article yesterday that is where I am to a T.
    https://revolverguy.com/small-revolv...hard-to-shoot/

Why bother? Many of you are saying this right now I bet. Just commit to something easier to shoot right? The thing is I have done a lot of drawing to a timer and an appendix carry snub is fast, very fast but, fast is no good if your shooting skills are sub par. The other attribute at least of AIWB is the possibility of a much more discrete draw vs hip carry. Like it or not the covered hammer snub is still the premier close quarter fighting gun. Yes, I said "fighting gun" to describe a 5 shot 38. If I am wrestling on the ground trying not to be bludgeoned or stabbed my choice of carry gun is a shrouded 5 shot snub carried AIWB. In that instance you can have your 3:30 carried Glock 19.

That scenario brings me back to physical fitness. Not only overall fitness but, hand and arm strength will greatly improve your shooting as well as increase your odds to survive an attack not to mention you just may live a longer and more enjoyable life.

So, I am doing a 90 day challenge for myself. Back to situps, pushups and weight training for me. Not an extreme program just back to something everyday. No machines or gyms just home training. My first step every trip to the badlands to shoot is the wizard drill using my 642 with my carry ammo which is going back to LSWHC in standard pressure. I am going back to carrying and training with the same ammo for that particular gun. If you carry something similar your fooling yourself if you carry something hot and train with something mild which is why those timed drills tell you to use carry ammo. Larger, heavier guns its not much of an issue but, small lightweight guns it is in my opinion. If you practice 38's and carry 357 your really just hoping for success and not training for success.
    I know"Your adrenaline will cancel out the issue of different ammo" No, it will not. Being scared to death is not going to make up for substantially increased recoil. Physics doesn't care about our opinions.

I practice shooting my GP100 with 200 grain hardcast. Boars will be out in the next few weeks so I am back to serious training with that revolver and my 870 slug gun. Expensive carry ammo but, with bears you don't get much of a chance to begin with so you better make that one shot count. I don't see any reason to treat an attack by a human any differently.

That is my personal challenge to myself. Quit trying to buy skill and get serious about doing the hard work to have skill. Simple as that. I will let you know how its going from time to time. 90 days should give me enough time to see substantial improvement. I hope.
    URIT, wmhawth, Wavygravy and 12 others like this.

I agree with everything you said forester58. I believe a snubby is the hardest gun to shoot proficiently, and you do have to stay on top of it. My 442 is, and has been my main carry gun. If I'm not carrying it, I'll be carrying a snubby in a different flavor, maybe my 640 pro, LCR 38, LCR 9, Sp101, GP100 44 special, or my pre Taurus Rossi. Admittedly, I do sometimes carry a second gun, either another revolver or a DA/SA semi auto, either iwb or owb. However, here lately I've only been carrying one gun.

I go to the outdoor range near my house (less than a mile) at least twice a week and spend about 30-45 minutes doing a variety of drills with Whichever snubby I happen to be carrying that day. I reload all my ammo and practice with what I carry, whether it be 38 special, 357 magnum, or 44 special, so cost is not a concern.

I dry fire practice every day for a minimum of 10 minutes, which always includes drawing from concealment, a timer, 3 home made (out of Dominos pizza boxes) IDPA targets, and either snap caps or a G-Sight laser training cartridge with their cellphone app.

I work out on my heavy bag 3 times a week and I have been doing 100 pushups every day for what seems like forever, and have recently, (about 2 months) been taking my GSD to the park for a spirited game of football/fetch/keep away and do 50-70 yard sprints intertwined with light jogging for about 30 -45 minutes. By then, we are both worn out. Lol.

I work in a prison, so it's important for me to stay in shape, never know when I'll be going toe to toe with one of these young gang banger punks.

Good luck with your 90 day challenge forester.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My personal 90 day challenge.-screenshot_20200222-102712_gallery_1582389011227.jpg  

My personal 90 day challenge.-screenshot_20200222-112124_gallery_1582392110345.jpg  

Last edited by rlggray; February 22nd, 2020 at 03:46 PM.

Keep it up and you'll both be in better shape when you reach your 70's.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Haha, 71 and work out each day to make a few more years. Still love to bow hunt 20’ up a tree so its a must!

I admire your stand ..... I have noticed the same thing and am working with my Chief and other short barrel revolvers. They are such a dream and always work....keep us posted.....
    forester58 and G-man* like this.

Your attitude is commendable, and I agree with your position.

The revolver is just as much a fighting gun , as any semi auto of the past or present.
    A brace of snub nose revolvers is as good as anything, and better than most, imo.

There is of course nothing wrong with having a variety, however there is a lot of truth in your opinion that diligence is due with what one decides to use.

I may very well unload some of this polymer and obtain a couple of good revolvers.

I haven’t fired a revolver in over a year, and I hate to think of how badly my skill level has degraded!
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Your attitude is commendable, and I agree with your position.

The revolver is just as much a fighting gun , as any semi auto of the past or present.
    A brace of snub nose revolvers is as good as anything, and better than most, imo.

There is of course nothing wrong with having a variety, however there is a lot of truth in your opinion that diligence is due with what one decides to use.

I may very well unload some of this polymer and obtain a couple of good revolvers.

I haven’t fired a revolver in over a year, and I hate to think of how badly my skill level has degraded!
    Knowing you, your revolver skills are probably better than you think they are. I will always have some variety in handguns. I can't see my commander ever going anywhere as its just such a capable firearm for lots of reasons. I am keeping my 9mm polymer as well. Life changes and some day those other options may just be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Knowing you, your revolver skills are probably better than you think they are. I will always have some variety in handguns. I can't see my commander ever going anywhere as its just such a capable firearm for lots of reasons. I am keeping my 9mm polymer as well. Life changes and some day those other options may just be the ticket.
    lol, I said some, not all polymer! Definitely going to keep the G26 and my old G22. The other stuff is redundant and takes up space.
    forester58 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I also take pride in my ability to shoot my S&W Airweight better than almost anyone I know. Granted, I don't know that many superb shooters, but it still feels good. When I don't need something really small like my LCP, I carry my light weight revolver. The best part is that it looks like what a gun is supposed to look like.
    forester58 likes this.

Sponsored Links