My Model 10 made carry ready.

This is a discussion on My Model 10 made carry ready. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me that is. I did a little surgery on my old model 10 today. I bought a used hammer assembly on ebay for 18 ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: My Model 10 made carry ready.

For me that is.
    I did a little surgery on my old model 10 today. I bought a used hammer assembly on ebay for 18 bucks and took to my Dremel tool to bob a hammer. I wanted to keep the original hammer stock in case I want to return the gun to stock.
    I also replaced the Magna stocks with a set of Uncle Mike's combat grips.
    To top it all off I replaced my old leather holster with a G-code Kydex.
    My Model 10 made carry ready.-model-10-8.jpgMy Model 10 made carry ready.-model-10-new-grips.jpg
    Before After
    The "bob" job was the first time I ever dismantled a S&W revolver. I took it slow on both the Dremel and the disassembly and assembly of the action. I am pretty pleased with the results and I learned the inner working of the gun which is always a plus. As a side note the internals were really clean and very lightly oiled with no corrosion which was a nice surprise.
    My Model 10 made carry ready.-model-10-hammer-bob.jpg

The stocks are just awesome for my hands. They cover the backstrap which may help a tad with recoil (light as it is anyway) but, the real advantage is it increases the trigger reach just enough to fit my hand better. These also are the best grips for speedloader use I have found as they do not need altering to clear a speedloader well. I like the looks of wood but, I like these much better for shooting and drawing.

Next is the G- code holster. All I can say is "Wow!". Very nice thick Kydex with retention adjustment and height and cant adjustment too. Great trigger coverage and this is the only type of clip I would recommend on any holster. Notice how it curls under the belt and is slanted so when trying to jerk the holster off the belt it won't pull the clip open.
    Also the bend in the clip keeps the gun butt tucked in tight without the need for a foam wedge. Not a fast on and off holster though as it takes pinching the belt to close the clip which is a good thing for holster to belt retention.
    Overall, I like the "renewed"model 10 setup and look forward to running it against the clock.
    My Model 10 made carry ready.-new-n-cog-holster.jpgMy Model 10 made carry ready.-new-model-10-g-code-holster.jpg
    My Model 10 made carry ready.-model-10-aiwb.jpgMy Model 10 made carry ready.-model-10-g-code-holster.jpg
    Last edited by forester58; February 22nd, 2020 at 07:32 PM.

Great gun; great job with the bobing of the hammer; you should really enjoy it. I might suggest Winchester X38SPD ammo. It is a +P all lead h.p. and it is called the FBI load. Dallas P.D. used it back in the day and they never had a failure to stop with that round. It is pricey about $38.00 per box of 50.....not the new standard of 20 or 25 rounds.....
    forester58 and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Great gun; great job with the bobing of the hammer; you should really enjoy it. I might suggest Winchester X38SPD ammo. It is a +P all lead h.p. and it is called the FBI load. Dallas P.D. used it back in the day and they never had a failure to stop with that round. It is pricey about $38.00 per box of 50.....not the new standard of 20 or 25 rounds.....
    Thanks. I am currently using Underwood 158 grain +P SWC-HP but, that Winchester is about 15 to 20 cents per round less expensive so I will definitely try a box. Trying to practice more with the ammo I carry and this will help.
    OD*, bmcgilvray, airslot and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    S&W-10 is one of my favorites
    forester58 and Sister like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Great job! Where'd you find those Uncle Mikes grips? I remember seeing that style and haven't been able to find anything similar. I'm not fond of the Packmyers and Hogues for my 3" M60.
    forester58 and G-man* like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Great job! Where'd you find those Uncle Mikes grips? I remember seeing that style and haven't been able to find anything similar. I'm not fond of the Packmyers and Hogues for my 3" M60.
    Like a lot of good things they are no longer made. I got those on ebay and the seller had them labeled as Round butt grips. I could tell by the pictures he posted that they were square butt grips so I grabbed them. $40 bucks with shipping but, well worth it to me.

I like them so much I bought a pair for my 642. They really change the feel of the snub. Better draw speed from AIWB and a covered back strap for recoil help as well as increasing the trigger reach on such a small gun really make a difference in shooting experience.
    I actually carried this today in a front pants pocket just for grins as I don't pants pocket carry but, it works and is still easy to draw but, it does show a little of the grip end poking on the pants pocket. Only pocket carry I do is winter coat pocket carry and the Uncle Mike's work well for that role.
    Same as the model 10 pair they work really well with speedloaders.
    My Model 10 made carry ready.-dsc_0210.jpg
    5lima30ret, wmhawth, OD* and 3 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    With the hammer bob, did you retain the single action, or is this DA-only now?
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Looks like you did a real good job on that hammer Chris. Still I'm glad you kept the original hammer, (my preference), intact. The pictures have me thinking of carrying my 3" Model 10 again.
    Bill

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Very nice work, Chris.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    Looks like you navigated the project with success. The bobbed hammer looks workmanlike. Warms my heart that you saved the original hammer.

Love it! Big fan of model 10's. Have two myself.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With the hammer bob, did you retain the single action, or is this DA-only now?
    Its stock DA/SA. I didn't want to go that far in my garage gunsmithing and I can't imagine I would ever manually pull the hammer back anyway. Who would do that?
    Interesting side note but, my Ruger speed six with the bobbed hammer has a checkered spot on top of the hammer so a person can start the hammer back with the trigger and still use the single action if they wanted. I don't of course as I shoot all my revolvers in DA.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Looks like you navigated the project with success. The bobbed hammer looks workmanlike. Warms my heart that you saved the original hammer.
    I would not alter the old girl permanently. Just couldn't do it.

Senior Moderator
    That is really nice! I love the entire set up!
    forester58, OD* and airslot like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Forester58, good job! But isn't it sacrilegious to carry a revolver in a kydex holster??? (Hope the moderators don't consider this a religious post!)
    forester58, OD*, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links