3 Gen S&W still getting it done. - Page 2

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.

This is a discussion on 3 Gen S&W still getting it done. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love my old 3913....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: 3 Gen S&W still getting it done.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Love my old 3913.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_1831.jpg  

"There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

The Gen 3 S&W's were indeed great shooting guns! Quite a few guys at my agency carried them back in the day when we had to purchase our own semi-autos if you didn't carry the issued .357 revolvers. The only problem I recall with them is they required a bit more lube and wipe downs to prevent corrosion in our hot humid and salty environment especially w/ leather duty gear. I liked the sights on them much better than the Glocks or revolvers!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Are they S&W's version of a 1911 Commander?.. I saw one at a LGS yesterday I think it was $ 379 or thereabouts.. Thought it was chambered in 9mm...
    Didn't handle it, but noticed it quickly.. It was an eye catcher for sure.. I like my Shield, but I like this S&W better. bob
    CLASS3NH and bmcgilvray like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Are they S&W's version of a 1911 Commander?.. I saw one at a LGS yesterday I think it was $ 379 or thereabouts.. Thought it was chambered in 9mm...
    Didn't handle it, but noticed it quickly.. It was an eye catcher for sure.. I like my Shield, but I like this S&W better. bob
    A version of a Commander? In size and weight only, but that's where it ends. I consider the 6906 as the 5906 compact, the 4566 likewise for the 4506.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-4006.jpg

My 4006 won't quit.

Huge amount of respect for any LEO that had to shlep this thing around all day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The bigger brother. A sweetheart to shoot.

Attachment 315288

A tad bigger than the G30 for carry but doable.
    You Devil you! I have one on Paid Hold at the Store...3 Xtra mags night sights and case.....435.00 ............4516-2
    OldVet, OD*, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

6906 round trigger guard, and Regular style hammer.. Not much larger than the Glock 27/26 series...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_0589.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_0587.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_0584.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_0582.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-img_0585.jpg  

TSKnight, OD*, 5lima30ret and 4 others like this.

They do fit the hand well although I could never come to like those slide mounted safeties on the DA/SA guns. I think the DAO operating as a hammer drop only would be quite nice however.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself "hands behind the back" toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    They do fit the hand well although I could never come to like those slide mounted safeties on the DA/SA guns. I think the DAO operating as a hammer drop only would be quite nice however.
    My 4566 is the "decock only" model. The safety is spring loaded to the Off position. Press down to decock and let it spring back to Off. I really like that setup and would like it on my 6906 as well.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My 4566 is the "decock only" model. The safety is spring loaded to the Off position. Press down to decock and let it spring back to Off. I really like that setup and would like it on my 6906 as well.
    The one I have on hold is de-cock only. I'm gonna look again. Might be a 4566....rather than a 4516-2
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    The one I have on hold is de-cock only. I'm gonna look again. Might be a 4566....rather than a 4516-2
    4566 is stainless, 8-rd mags. I "think" the 4516 is a smaller capacity, 7 rounds, and shorter barrel. Kind of the G26 version.
    CLASS3NH, OD* and bmcgilvray like this.

I had a real nice 3913 that I sold a few year ago - wish now that I hadn't.

I won't make that same mistake with my 908.

3rd Gen Smiths = very solid.
    OD*, ETXhiker, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

4566 is stainless, 8-rd mags. I "think" the 4516 is a smaller capacity.
    4516, 4513 TSW are single stacks...... 457 as well. Maybe the previous owner had a de-cocker installed, as it's de-cock only...I'll check on Saturday LOL
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member
    2 1/2+ pounds of steel on yer hip. Yessir.
    ETXhiker and bmcgilvray like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

My 6906

Here is my 6906 that I purchased brand new in 2001 and still have not fired.
    The more time goes on, the less I want to pop it's cherry.
    I thought I would conceal carry it one day, but I always carried something else or another.
    So, now I am at a cross roads knowing I will never carry it, and the decision is sell or keep stashed in the safe.
    Over the past couple years, I starting buying up magazines for it, and now have more than 5 people would use in a life time.
    Decisions-Decisions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-6906.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-6906a.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-6906b.jpg  

3 Gen S&W still getting it done.-6906c.jpg  

U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links