What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop - Page 2

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

This is a discussion on What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The real issue is not what pistol to carry to be sure to have a one shot stopping with a hit between the headlights, but ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

Training to be proficient

The real issue is not what pistol to carry to be sure to have a one shot stopping with a hit between the headlights, but more, how much practice it is going to take before you can make that shot 100% of the time with the pistol you’re carrying.

Some citizens change out their carry sidearm, from week to week or day to day depending on what they are wearing. For them it is difficult, to get the training and practice they need to be proficient.

VIP Member
    My .45 long-slide Shield with the RMSc red dot.
    G26Raven, OD*, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Without context it means nothing

Which gun?

I think a better question would be, which gun can you get that shot off with the fastest.

I don’t think most people are realistic in their expectations. At 15 yards, damn near any gun can hit a pie plate at 15 yards if you have enough time to aim.

I mean let’s face it; a plate isn’t going anywhere, it’s not moving and it’s not doing anything to cause anxiety, or moving thru a group of other plates.

Try some drills like the Wizard Drill, or 5x5 Drill if you really want to see where you stand with your guns.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Of the pistols I own, Glock 35 would be 1st pick; but, I've done a lot of practice lately with the Glock 23 that I EDC and it would be about as good.
    matthew03 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

As others have stated. Most any pistol will kill. One shot kills require very precise shot placement.
    So the best pistol for one shot kills is the one you shoot most accurately.
    And range shooting and adrenaline pumping, soiling your tighty whities scenarios are not the same.
    You may not know how accurate you are in real life unless you are in that type of situation.
    Or as others have mentioned like @G26Raven , taken a good active shooter training class.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    The real issue is not what pistol to carry to be sure to have a one shot stopping with a hit between the headlights, but more, how much practice it is going to take before you can make that shot 100% of the time with the pistol you’re carrying.

Some citizens change out their carry sidearm, from week to week or day to day depending on what they are wearing. For them it is difficult, to get the training and practice they need to be proficient.
    That's a good point, but I am not sure it covers the whole issue. I am thinking of the Skokie shootout where the the cop was a master firearms instructor who said in an interview that he practiced a lot. He hit the perp 16 times with a .45, including two in the head and the guy kept returning fire until he got a third hit in the head. BTW, the perp was found to NOT be under the influence of any drugs.

So the proposition is that you have to get a pure, absolute center of head hit with a caliber that has high penetration, on a moving perp. Anything less might not get it. If someone with that cop's training couldn't do that, what chance do most of the rest of us have no matter how much we train? There has to be another solution.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    The 4" pie plate at 15 yards isn't moving and shooting back.
    Can I hit the pie plate at the shooting range with a pistol? Yep.
    Do I think that I could make a single pistol head shot at 15+ yards in a moving combat situation? Nope. That's what semi-auto rifles and machine guns are for. I'll most likely be under cover somewhere waiting for the threat to get closer.
    (Being realistic/honest here and still have nightmares.)
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Augustus84 If your a good enough shooter and fast on the draw at the same time and handle stress extremely well a 22lr could be enough . So practice , practice , practice !! Maybe a Taurus tx22 filled with 16 cci mini mags !! .

My Sig 229 SAO Legion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ETXhiker and Old Man like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I shoot best with what I practice the most with what I'm carrying
    molleur and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus84 View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who upon learning of the gentleman's successful takedown of the active shooter in the church in Fort Worth....asked myself...which of my handguns I would want if I had to take that shot. So I've been to the range several times in the last couple of weeks. I've shot my HK P2000, my M&P 2.0 compact...and a couple of my 1911 commanders. But surprisingly to me, the one that I could most regularly hit a 4 inch plate at 15 yards..cold...was my glock 34. Not impossible to carry...but not easy. I'm curious, what others think of the same question.
    I moved to the G34.5 for daily carry, in the appendix position.
    Old Man and CDW4ME like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

One shoot is not alway a thing pleny of people have take what should have been fatal shots and kept right on going ( think to the 86 Miami shootout where poor HP stoped right before vital mass in one of the robbers ) or the times people have taken 10-20 rounds and still keep going

It is more about what you can accuartly bring into action and keep in action till the threats is down ..Plenty of gun fights have been stopped by 22,32 even 25acp guns ..It its about the person shooting it and also the ammo in it

Sure a 50ae might be enough from sure bloody shock to stop a target one hit but wont mean squt if is so over power that you cant get a hit in
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    That's a good point, but I am not sure it covers the whole issue. I am thinking of the Skokie shootout where the the cop was a master firearms instructor who said in an interview that he practiced a lot. He hit the perp 16 times with a .45, including two in the head and the guy kept returning fire until he got a third hit in the head. BTW, the perp was found to NOT be under the influence of any drugs.

So the proposition is that you have to get a pure, absolute center of head hit with a caliber that has high penetration, on a moving perp. Anything less might not get it. If someone with that cop's training couldn't do that, what chance do most of the rest of us have no matter how much we train? There has to be another solution.
    This is why I answered the way I did.
    I've done force-on-force and both failed and succeeded doing it. I learned the most from the failures.
    I have no illusions of being a knight in shining armor coming to the rescue. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take rounds incoming if I'm ever in a real life encounter. BTDT wasn't fond of the experience and have no desire to repeat it.
    With that in mind? I'm not wired to stand by and watch if there is any chance of mitigating the damage through my actions.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Well since one shot stops are as much about luck (where did your round strike the perp?), power (is your chosen round capable of doing the job quickly), and the perp's resistance to being hit (is he high on something or is he able to drive through the hit?), your sidearm choice is wide open. Of the guns in my primary carry stable, I think the one that would be my best bet in a situation such as what took place in that church, I would l pick my gen3 Glock 23. Very accurate in my hands, powerful, reliable, and just an overall winner. In one well know gun writer's opinion, it is the best combat handgun one can carry.

Oh and it would be loaded with either Federal 165 grain HST or Speer Gold Dot 165 grain JHP "hot load #53970.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

The short answer is "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links