What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop - Page 4

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

This is a discussion on What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BTW, does anybody know what gun/caliber Wilson used ???...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

BTW, does anybody know what gun/caliber Wilson used ???
    G-man* and airslot like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    Are you sure that you don't mean gigawatt?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    OldVet likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Beware of the OLD MAN in the corner, he just might have a REVOLVER and know HOW TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The round was a .357Sig from a Sig 229. Jack Wilson, "The only clear shot I had was his head because I still had people in the pews that were not all the way down … that was my one shot. When I teach people, I teach them not to shoot the head unless that's all you have," Wilson said, explaining that it's easier to hit a person in their body because it's a larger target than the head. "If that's the only shot you've got, then that's the shot you take."https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/churchs-head-of-security-says-he-killed-an-evil-not-a-human-in-taking-down-gunman/2283824/

One reason I like the bowling pin shoots our club ran and popularized in our area was because the target was small and I knew I was hot when the gun came up from the low ready and went off the instant it was horizontal to the target and moved on to the next and next. That is where I learned my double action on a revolver and never took the first shot single action as some liked to. That meant once you were committed to the shot, the trigger was being pressed as the gun was coming on target. Unless of course you had a light short trigger, and you trained that way. Either way, I can see how switching between guns with entirely different triggers could cost you valuable time in a critical moment. Yet, at one time in my life, it seemed like I was able to do that. Now? It might be better to limit the varieties and stick to one or two.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    The round was a .357Sig from a Sig 229. Jack Wilson, "The only clear shot I had was his head because I still had people in the pews that were not all the way down … that was my one shot. When I teach people, I teach them not to shoot the head unless that's all you have," Wilson said, explaining that it's easier to hit a person in their body because it's a larger target than the head. "If that's the only shot you've got, then that's the shot you take."https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/churchs-head-of-security-says-he-killed-an-evil-not-a-human-in-taking-down-gunman/2283824/

One reason I like the bowling pin shoots our club ran and popularized in our area was because the target was small and I knew I was hot when the gun came up from the low ready and went off the instant it was horizontal to the target and moved on to the next and next. That is where I learned my double action on a revolver and never took the first shot single action as some liked to. That meant once you were committed to the shot, the trigger was being pressed as the gun was coming on target. Unless of course you had a light short trigger, and you trained that way. Either way, I can see how switching between guns with entirely different triggers could cost you valuable time in a critical moment. Yet, at one time in my life, it seemed like I was able to do that. Now? It might be better to limit the varieties and stick to one or two.
    Have you practiced timed drills from the draw? Shooting on the move from the draw?
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

My 3" SP101 357 magnum stoked with Barnes 125 grain TAC-XPD would be my choice, out of my small arsenal of handguns.

That combination has been real accurate at 15 yards for me, and I have total faith in that particular round for a one stop shot, if I do my part.
    1gunsnowbird and demanic like this.

Glock 32, Glock 33, Sig 229 in .357 Sig...It is an interesting cartridge. I do a lot of ballistic gel testing and every time I would test the .357 Sig it would literally rock the block...I think of it like getting punched by Mike Tyson..
    Wolf357 and Chaplain Scott like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Have you practiced timed drills from the draw? Shooting on the move from the draw?
    I habitually practice drawing from concealment. Even at work before I retired, I would point my small portable drill and engage the trigger as I walked around with it. I've always worked on coming on target quickly. There may be a timer still down the basement from years ago but I haven't worked with one in years. Shooting on the move from the draw has got to be my one big weakness along with moving after a shot. It's been pointed out the few times I had a chance to shoot those projection screen programs. We're told to move but old target shooting habits resist movement. Luckily the outdoor range I like usually allows me to set up multiple targets and when no one else is present, I can work on that.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by demanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41
    Are you sure that you don't mean gigawatt?
    No. That would be too much power for the plasma rifles. A Flux Capacitor (<==click that ) on the other hand needs at least 1.21 Gigawatt/

Springfield TRP in 45 acp.

I can make that shot with any gun I carry. If you cannot on a good day, on a square range place your shots into a playing at the distance you plane to shoot, you are never gonna do it under stress.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I can make that shot with any gun I carry. If you cannot on a good day, on a square range place your shots into a playing at the distance you plane to shoot, you are never gonna do it under stress.
    The inconvenient truth....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Honestly, I would have a hard time making that shot, no matter the hardware in my hand. Especially if the criminal is in motion. Shooting a paper target successfully isn't a portent of things to come.

Probably my Hi Power or CZ 75B if pressed.

My GLOCK 21 is also very much in the running, big as it is.
    Wavygravy likes this.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Not just "The inconvenient truth" but also the expensive one to get there and stay there.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links