What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop - Page 4

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

This is a discussion on What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BTW, does anybody know what gun/caliber Wilson used ???...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 132
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,146
    BTW, does anybody know what gun/caliber Wilson used ???
    G-man* and airslot like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

    ― Heraclitus

  2. #47
    Senior Member Array Psycho41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    980
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

  3. #48
    Member Array demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    US
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
    Are you sure that you don't mean gigawatt?

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    OldVet likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #49
    Senior Member Array bill35738's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    western Pa.
    Posts
    565
    Beware of the OLD MAN in the corner, he just might have a REVOLVER and know HOW TO USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #50
    Senior Member Array Grizzly2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    851
    The round was a .357Sig from a Sig 229. Jack Wilson, "The only clear shot I had was his head because I still had people in the pews that were not all the way down … that was my one shot. When I teach people, I teach them not to shoot the head unless that's all you have," Wilson said, explaining that it's easier to hit a person in their body because it's a larger target than the head. "If that's the only shot you've got, then that's the shot you take."https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/churchs-head-of-security-says-he-killed-an-evil-not-a-human-in-taking-down-gunman/2283824/

    One reason I like the bowling pin shoots our club ran and popularized in our area was because the target was small and I knew I was hot when the gun came up from the low ready and went off the instant it was horizontal to the target and moved on to the next and next. That is where I learned my double action on a revolver and never took the first shot single action as some liked to. That meant once you were committed to the shot, the trigger was being pressed as the gun was coming on target. Unless of course you had a light short trigger, and you trained that way. Either way, I can see how switching between guns with entirely different triggers could cost you valuable time in a critical moment. Yet, at one time in my life, it seemed like I was able to do that. Now? It might be better to limit the varieties and stick to one or two.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

  7. #51
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    18,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    The round was a .357Sig from a Sig 229. Jack Wilson, "The only clear shot I had was his head because I still had people in the pews that were not all the way down … that was my one shot. When I teach people, I teach them not to shoot the head unless that's all you have," Wilson said, explaining that it's easier to hit a person in their body because it's a larger target than the head. "If that's the only shot you've got, then that's the shot you take."https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/churchs-head-of-security-says-he-killed-an-evil-not-a-human-in-taking-down-gunman/2283824/

    One reason I like the bowling pin shoots our club ran and popularized in our area was because the target was small and I knew I was hot when the gun came up from the low ready and went off the instant it was horizontal to the target and moved on to the next and next. That is where I learned my double action on a revolver and never took the first shot single action as some liked to. That meant once you were committed to the shot, the trigger was being pressed as the gun was coming on target. Unless of course you had a light short trigger, and you trained that way. Either way, I can see how switching between guns with entirely different triggers could cost you valuable time in a critical moment. Yet, at one time in my life, it seemed like I was able to do that. Now? It might be better to limit the varieties and stick to one or two.
    Have you practiced timed drills from the draw? Shooting on the move from the draw?
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  8. #52
    Senior Member Array rlggray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,158
    My 3" SP101 357 magnum stoked with Barnes 125 grain TAC-XPD would be my choice, out of my small arsenal of handguns.

    That combination has been real accurate at 15 yards for me, and I have total faith in that particular round for a one stop shot, if I do my part.
    1gunsnowbird and demanic like this.

  9. #53
    Member Array gqllc007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Albany
    Posts
    383
    Glock 32, Glock 33, Sig 229 in .357 Sig...It is an interesting cartridge. I do a lot of ballistic gel testing and every time I would test the .357 Sig it would literally rock the block...I think of it like getting punched by Mike Tyson..
    Wolf357 and Chaplain Scott like this.

  10. #54
    Senior Member Array Grizzly2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Have you practiced timed drills from the draw? Shooting on the move from the draw?
    I habitually practice drawing from concealment. Even at work before I retired, I would point my small portable drill and engage the trigger as I walked around with it. I've always worked on coming on target quickly. There may be a timer still down the basement from years ago but I haven't worked with one in years. Shooting on the move from the draw has got to be my one big weakness along with moving after a shot. It's been pointed out the few times I had a chance to shoot those projection screen programs. We're told to move but old target shooting habits resist movement. Luckily the outdoor range I like usually allows me to set up multiple targets and when no one else is present, I can work on that.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

  11. #55
    Senior Member Array Psycho41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by demanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41
    Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
    Are you sure that you don't mean gigawatt?
    No. That would be too much power for the plasma rifles. A Flux Capacitor (<==click that ) on the other hand needs at least 1.21 Gigawatt/

  12. #56
    Member Array suds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    33
    Springfield TRP in 45 acp.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The BAD lands
    Posts
    12,661
    I can make that shot with any gun I carry. If you cannot on a good day, on a square range place your shots into a playing at the distance you plane to shoot, you are never gonna do it under stress.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

  14. #58
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    18,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I can make that shot with any gun I carry. If you cannot on a good day, on a square range place your shots into a playing at the distance you plane to shoot, you are never gonna do it under stress.
    The inconvenient truth....
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  15. #59
    Member Array sparkyfender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    317
    Honestly, I would have a hard time making that shot, no matter the hardware in my hand. Especially if the criminal is in motion. Shooting a paper target successfully isn't a portent of things to come.

    Probably my Hi Power or CZ 75B if pressed.

    My GLOCK 21 is also very much in the running, big as it is.
    Wavygravy likes this.

  16. #60
    VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I can make that shot with any gun I carry. If you cannot on a good day, on a square range place your shots into a playing at the distance you plane to shoot, you are never gonna do it under stress.
    Not just "The inconvenient truth" but also the expensive one to get there and stay there.......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •