What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop - Page 5

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

This is a discussion on What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After yesterday's IDPA match, my confidence in my Sig P365 has grown exponentially. I am convinced I could make a tight shot mechanically … it's ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    After yesterday's IDPA match, my confidence in my Sig P365 has grown exponentially. I am convinced I could make a tight shot mechanically … it's the emotional side of the equation that needs examination.

What would my mindset be in the Ft. Worth church scenario? Would I be scared at a primal level? Would my aim waver? Would I see the perp as another human and hesitate at the critical moment?

I would hope (and pray) that my mind, in its tunnel-vision mode, would go steely calm and my resolve would allow me to commit to the shot and eliminate all of the variables above. However, I can't say that would be true because I've never been there, never done that. And, I hope I never have to do that, but I compete and train with that thought always in the back of my mind because I take the responsibility of carrying a lethal weapon very seriously.

Carrying and training with ONE gun (two at the max), is giving me confidence in my mechanical capabilities with the Sig and my LCPII. The mental aspects are one of those imponderables that makes up life's journey for each of us as individuals.

OP - very intriguing thread. Thanks for launching it, and thanks to everyone for their responses … both serious and humorous. Love the phasers and capacitators, RPGs and LAWs comments. I can always one-up that line or reasoning with my Army experience guarding Nike Hercules air defense missiles. When all else fails, I'd pop 'em with a Nike-Herk … of course there MIGHT be a bit of collateral damage. :-)
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Not quite the single playing card grouping, but getting there....20 yards.

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop-img_20200225_130827649_hdr.jpg
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Not quite the single playing card grouping, but getting there....20 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200225_130827649_HDR.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	315818
    It's funny you put that target up during a discussion of head shots. I've been told that many defensive/responsive shootings are just like that target - to the gun - because that is the perceived threat. That's an even smaller, maybe harder target to hit then either cns or cm. Yet, and I've seen this many times with traditional archery and also done it. If you focus intently on a spot, even with a recurve or longbow with no sights, you can hit or come remarkably close if you are a pretty good shooter to begin with. I used to aim at arrow holes in a target. Some like to aim at anothers arrow, but I never liked to ruin good arrows and loved to slide in right alongside another arrow. I believe handguns and traditional archery share many of the same skills and mindsets to achieve similar results. It takes confidence and believing in what you are doing, along with a strong motivation - for whatever reason - to make the shot happen. I once called a shot with a group of friends from 18-20 yards to "right between the eyes" on a wolf target facing us and made it. I think we all gasped at the shot - but we can do it if we follow up on- and allow - that strong feeling of knowing you can do it - and wanting to do it at the same time.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    It's funny you put that target up during a discussion of head shots. I've been told that many defensive/responsive shootings are just like that target - to the gun - because that is the perceived threat. That's an even smaller, maybe harder target to hit then either cns or cm. Yet, and I've seen this many times with traditional archery and also done it. If you focus intently on a spot, even with a recurve or longbow with no sights, you can hit or come remarkably close if you are a pretty good shooter to begin with. I used to aim at arrow holes in a target. Some like to aim at anothers arrow, but I never liked to ruin good arrows and loved to slide in right alongside another arrow. I believe handguns and traditional archery share many of the same skills and mindsets to achieve similar results. It takes confidence and believing in what you are doing, along with a strong motivation - for whatever reason - to make the shot happen. I once called a shot with a group of friends from 18-20 yards to "right between the eyes" on a wolf target facing us and made it. I think we all gasped at the shot - but we can do it if we follow up on- and allow - that strong feeling of knowing you can do it - and wanting to do it at the same time.
    Try a FoF class with simulations...you'll get shot a lot, in the hand. It's kind of amazing really...Almost like one of those old westerns where the good guy shoots the gun out of the hands of the bad guy...except nobody's trying to do it.
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    Chaplain - Can't believe you'd shoot a man with a Glock! Obviously, if he's got a Glock, he's a good guy.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    This was from one of my latest range trips.....I actually didn't intend to aim at his pistol, but I've noticed that as I move to 20 yrds and beyond, my eyes are having a more difficult time picking up something specific to aim at......

This was my last hostage target, distance ranges from 15-25 yards (the three shots in the hanger were not mine)

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop-img_20190726_123518148_hdr.jpg
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I used to love setting up shoots for our club years ago. Did alot of hostage stuff back then. Didn't have gruesome targets like they have now and like Chaplain Scott just posted. One day I was test driving a Lincoln I'd done a wheel alignment on. I was going pretty fast, looking for any pulling and watching the grass for wind direction when a Sect of State car went by me. I watched and never saw him turn around or brake. I think I was up in the low 80's. I turned around and came back and we passed again and this time I saw brake lights come on. He pulled me over, stuck his head in the passenger window I'd lowered and said, Craig, is that you? I gulped when I recognized him because as the Vice President of our club, he quit when I didn't discipline someone hard enough. Anyway, after telling me how fast I was going both ways and how they were now patrolling this road and I'd better slow down - and giving me a warning ticket - he says, hey, thanks for putting on all those shoots and those hostage scenarios. I joined the SWAT team and they really helped me. Then he said he didn't stop on the first pass thinking I was probably a lawyer or something in that big Lincoln. Those were fun years.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

It would be my Smith & Wesson Model 4053 in the church situation and using a cold gun.

I would be happy just getting 3 out of 5 shots somewhere on a silhouette target at 20 yards.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

I would feel comfortable with my Glock 20 stoked with Underwood
    200gr XTP ..
    demanic likes this.

One shot stop, you say?

This would be my choice and luckily it only has one shot!

demanic, halem1, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

I do actually practice shots like the amazing church defensive shooting, but the stress of a "real" situation, innocents running around, and a target on the move would nullify most of my training.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states).

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    I do actually practice shots like the amazing church defensive shooting, but the stress of a "real" situation, innocents running around, and a target on the move would nullify most of my training.

How did ya know which one was the bad guy? :)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    How did ya know which one was the bad guy? :)
    The one with all the holes in it....
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

There's something to be said for training in a chaotic environment.
    I've never been able to, but then, I was a short order cook for many years, so that will have to do.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Chaplain Scott and Grizzly2 like this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links