What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop - Page 6

What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

This is a discussion on What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sir, I tend to agree with you. And the classes I've attended....and my normal training focus on just what you said. Shoot till the threat ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree436Likes

Thread: What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop

Sir,
    I tend to agree with you. And the classes I've attended....and my normal training focus on just what you said. Shoot till the threat is stopped. And no, I';m sure if he hadn't achieved the head shot he wouldn't have stopped shooting. I just was struck by his ability to stop this episode, with one shot. And I, unlike some on here, do not think it was an easy shot. But, the bad guy produced a weapon and in six seconds, he was stopped. I just recognize this as a possible scenario and I wanted to test myself on a cold first shot. And I was somewhat disappointed. I know, training and practice makes the day, but for each of us, there will be a handgun that we are most accurate with. And if possible, that's the one I wish to have on me when/if the need arises.
    matthew03 and Chaplain Scott like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    BTW, does anybody know what gun/caliber Wilson used ???
    I believe he used a Sig P229 in .357 sig.
    Bigsteve113, MYMOMSSON and MMinSC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Not quite the single playing card grouping, but getting there....20 yards.

Attachment 315818
    Good demonstration of why we should all practice single strong and off hand gun manipulation.

In a gun fight rounds to the hands and arms are very common.
    LimaCharlie and Old Man like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Gar-O-Teed one shot from this might be concidered a man stopper handgun -

Ithica Auto & Burgular -

post #66 if you are law enforcement and know who is the bad guy/girl then that is great shooting.

if not and you just got there ,, what if the guy just got the gun away from the girl and told her to put her hands up.

generally if its not you being shot at, think before you go in action.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    How did ya know which one was the bad guy? :)
    Easy...he was the one wearing the mask.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Gar-O-Teed one shot from this might be concidered a man stopper handgun -

Ithica Auto & Burgular -
    I think you have the right idea.
    As a hunter with over 40 years experience, that prefers to hunt with handguns, I have to say that all handgun calibers are weak, and your shot placement has to be perfect. That said, the best handgun, for a one shot stop is the S&W .460.
    LimaCharlie likes this.

And people wondered if the .500 S&W was enough.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array DHart's Avatar
    For drop dead accuracy and quick return to target... my full-size forties are superb at this, though they aren't exactly "pocket guns".

P320 Full Size .40S&W and STI Edge .40S&W. For me, these shoot like lasers.

That said, these guns CAN be carried under a t-shirt, if you do it right and have a quality-weight t-shirt. (I HIGHLY recommend Duluth Long-tail T's). There may be a little printing, if you squat or bend over, but that's never bothered me any. Not as a law-abiding civilian, here in Arizona.

M&P40 Full-size pretty much does the same thing, for me, as well.

Do your part well, and these platforms will meet the need! Full-size pistols with fully capable fodder - tough to do better than that!
    Chaplain Scott and Gunwale like this.
    “Inequality" is a law of nature, not something government can "re-distribute”. The fit, well-educated, hard-working will prosper. And the unfit will not. It is not the responsibility of those who work hard and prosper to make the lives of those who do not, more “equal."

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    For drop dead accuracy and quick return to target... my full-size forties are superb at this, though they aren't exactly "pocket guns".

P320 Full Size .40S&W and STI Edge .40S&W. For me, these shoot like lasers.

That said, these guns CAN be carried under a t-shirt, if you do it right and have a quality-weight t-shirt. (I HIGHLY recommend Duluth Long-tail T's). There may be a little printing, if you squat or bend over, but that's never bothered me any. Not as a law-abiding civilian, here in Arizona.

M&P40 Full-size pretty much does the same thing, for me, as well.

Do your part well, and these platforms will meet the need! Full-size pistols with fully capable fodder - tough to do better than that!
    Very nice!
    I would be doing the same with my G20.
    Hides nice under a suit coat.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

At that distance, I’m most accurate with with my Kimber Ultracarry or my G19. Id prefer the UltraCarry.

Reading through this discussion of experts I decided to chime in. I'm not an expert, so at early point I relized that it will only be this much of time I will be able to devote to weapons and training. Hence, I did realize that at least for some time I should be using one particular pistol cartridge exclusively. Now, after initial training (which I got long before my decision time), which concluds mostly in mastering sight picture, and slowly squzing the shot so it cones as a surprize for you, after that initial stage is over all improvement you can do needs practice with specific weapon and the same ammunition you will use for real. The same at least in the weight of bullet and power of load. There was no much point - in my non-expert opinion - to practice with something that gives you different recoil. This all boiled down for me to choosing the caliber that will let me have enough of practice ($$ wise), and be viable real life cartridge for me at the same time. Which is 9mm.

Only later I added to that 380ACP just so I can also have a weapon which I can hide on myself even if I have nithing on but jus a bikini swimsute (I mean seecap here). I have only two cartridges then: 9mm and 380ACP.

That said, I do the best with my compact HK P30, I do fairly well with my EDC Boberg XR9-S. It is not obvious where I will succeed having a single shot from 15 yards iin real life situation.

Most accurate (for me) and one stop shot - 1911, what I train with consistently and what I shoot the best. As far as one shot stop - if you hit where you are aiming and aiming at the ocular cavity then it will be a one shot stop with a decent caliber.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

SSSHHH!!
    I'm out here listening..
    Old man, in the corner, with a revolver, and can use it!

I think that my S&W 69 44 magnum L frame snubbie would qualify.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Pistol....for that One Shot Stop-m69b.jpg  

Buckeye63 and bmcgilvray like this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links