Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers, - Page 6

Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,

This is a discussion on Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers, within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been Concealed carrying quite a while. When I started, I carried a S&W 19 Snubbie. I Traded the 19 for a Colt Combat ...

View Poll Results: Since we're talking about snub nose revolvers, please tell us why you chose to carry

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • All steel

53 45.69%
  • Ultra light

58 50.00%
  • Exposed hammer

40 34.48%
  • Concealed hammer

58 50.00%
  • Bobbed hammer

19 16.38%
  • Back up gun

29 25.00%
  • Primary gun

43 37.07%
  • 5 shot

82 70.69%
  • 6 shot

25 21.55%
  • 7 or more shots

3 2.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,

I have been Concealed carrying quite a while. When I started, I carried a S&W 19 Snubbie. I Traded the 19 for a Colt Combat Commander which I carried for a Few Years, and then made the Move to a Glock 26, which I consider a Great pistol to carry. I have always been Partial to the Revolver, and own several older 38 snubbies my favorite oldie being a S&W 66-3. Every thing was fine until Kimber released the K6S in 2016. I waited until all of the Reviews came in and then Purchased mine. I quickly fell in love with K6S DAO which was great for a Carry Revolver, but wished that I could have one in Double/Single action which came true last year. I sold off some Hunting guns that I no Longer needed and replaced them with 2 more K6S DASA guns in 2", and 3". So I have come full circle, from a Humble Revolver through the Auto Phase, and back to a revolver "But what a Revolver"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-kimbas.jpg  

Grizzly2, drmordo, G-man* and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Fun discussion in this thread here.

There are .38 revolvers and then there are .38 revolvers, just as there are .38 Special loads and there are .38 Special loads. Various combinations thereof can render wildly different recoil results, both actual and perceived. It's simple physics.

Couple an all-steel target grade .38 Special revolver having a 6-inch barrel and weighing from 36 to 39 ounces, depending on which brand it is, with .38 Special mid-range target ammunition, which consists of a 148 grain hollow base wadcutter over a powder puff charge weight of powder, and recoil from shooting the combination will be like shooting a .22.

On the other hand, an Smith & Wesson J-Frame Airweight snub stoked with +P 158 grain semi-wadcutter loads will deliver fearsome recoil, less pleasant to endure and less controllable than a heavy magnum revolver loaded with full-power cartridges. Yeah, I can do the Airweight, but if I can have a revolver possessing the same exact dimensions, but manufactured out of heavier steel, I'll take the all-steel rendition every time.

That's why handgun weight is my hobby horse. The paltry 8 oz weight difference in my Model 642 and Model 649 is of complete unconcern to me in carrying, whether holstered or pocketed. I just don't care about the comfort and convenience of light weight, especially when we're talking about such an insignificant weight difference. But, for shooting use, whether at the range in practice or in the event of employing the revolver defensively during an assault, I'll take the heavier one. I've proved it to my own satisfaction. That's why it blows my little pea-brained mind when people get on firearms forums complaining that a puny little all-steel J-Frame Smith & Wesson is so unacceptably heavy for them. To me the benefits far outweigh the minor inconvenience of greater weight. I privately wonder if we've reared a generation of "princesses" rather than men. It's almost a variation on the theme of the Hans Christian Andersen's "Princess and the Pea" tale.

I'm amused at how out of step I am with current thought. Left up to me there wouldn't be any demand for light weight snub revolvers except for specialized secondary back-up use and yet they remain wildly popular as primary guns for a great many these days.

With the .380 ACP cartridge, I have this contradictory notion that the very lightweight polymer .380 runt guns have less perceived recoil to me than do the larger traditional steel-framed blow-back .380 pistols. Perhaps it's the fact that both the Kel Tec P3AT kept on hand here and the very similar Ruger LCP fire from a locked breech. Perhaps it's a certain cushioning effect provided by the polymer frame. The type isn't the most pleasant to fire, but they are more so than say a Walther PP, Mauser HSc or other blowback, .380 I've fired. An exception would be the Beretta Model 81 which is of ample weight and a size that provides good ergonomics. i've shot an example and it was a nice .380. Another very pleasant .380 pistol to shoot is the now century old Remington Model 51 which is also a locked-breech design of good weight and ergonomics.
    My concern about the weight of a snub has to do with how much the elastic in a pair of sweat pants can hold up. My LCP doesn't make them droop down on one side. When I carry my CA Bulldog, I have to really tighten the drawstring. It's weight is still in the high teens and doesn't bother me at all at home. But for comfort around the house, and in those kind of clothes, I like light weight. That's why I'd prefer a snub in the mid to high teens. They probably handle better for me shooting them than one of the really lightweights would. Another consideration is carrying a snub is a light jacket or sweatshirt pocket. There, an all steel revolver feels and looks like a lead weight where as an LCP or LCR doesn't weight the pocket down and sag so much. I suppose if I had my druthers, I'd have one of each weight range but that's not very likely to happen. Actually, all I've ever shot so far has been steel framed, the 85 and a 3" 36 and a 2" model 60. I never did get to shoot the two 642s i ordered before returning them for clocked barrels and a very sluggish trigger return. The CA uses some aluminum. I really have to wonder why they wanted to shave those ounces from a .44 special anyway.

There is no denying the fact that the heavier - and the larger - the snub, the better you can control it. I wish this Bulldog had a few more ounces to it. One of these days I may find a steel grip frame to replace the aluminum one they use.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

Not gonna find better, smoother than Ruger LCR 357mag/38spl lightweight, No.See.Um pocket holster but only 5 shot = speed loaders or backup + nt.sights + CT green grip laser

S&W 442 was NOT acceptable but S&W Performance selections are head/shoulders better, so also acquired a Model 327 (357mag/38spl 8-shot) but of course this is heavier, night sights but no laser until CT offers a green grip one

BTW, PD ammo selections as per Lucky Gunner Labs

The pistols just didn't work out for pocket & at that light weight, e.g. Glock27/33

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have but dont usually carry a S&W Mdl. 60. Years ago I had and LOVED a S&W Mdl. 38 Bodyguard Airweight. I would GLADLY trade my 60 for a Mdl. 38 if I could find one in the same/comparable condition (Like New), but...no luck so far although I haunt the local shows. Ill keep in touch...
    Grizzly2 likes this.
    Former SFC E-7 11B4X

Life Member:
    NRA
    GOA
    CCRKBA

Been there done that on snubs, and I really want to like my SP101 best, but then I go grab a J frame with my fave Uncle Mike’s boot grips and fire off a cylinder of 5 cold as quick as the sights come back on target like this at 7 yards.... keeps bringing me back. Lighter weight doesn’t hurt the daily carry, that’s for sure. Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-5d673f15-20e3-447b-96f8-f0ad808fe0ba_1583884628780.jpeg
    Yep. I'm THAT guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wesnellans View Post
    Been there done that on snubs, and I really want to like my SP101 best, but then I go grab a J frame with my fave Uncle Mike’s boot grips and fire off a cylinder of 5 cold as quick as the sights come back on target like this at 7 yards.... keeps bringing me back. Lighter weight doesn’t hurt the daily carry, that’s for sure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D673F15-20E3-447B-96F8-F0AD808FE0BA_1583884628780.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	316974

Nice looking no lock, and poker card.

A Smith 638. The price was right. Also a 36-1, but it goes in a pancake holster. Three inch barrel a little long for pocket carry!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Grizzly2 likes this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    Since we're talking about snub nose revolvers, please tell us why you chose to carry what you do.
    I carry a S&W 642-2 and a 640 pro depending on mood and clothing. I prefer the 640, but its a little big bigger and heavier than the 642. One of the big reasons that I prefer the 640 pro is the 3 dot night sights.

I carry revolvers because I prefer their simplicity and reliability. I also find them easily concealed despite the width of the cylinder.

How many different models did you try before settling on what you now carry and why?

S&W BG38
    S&W 36
    S&W 60
    Ruger sp101 3

I picked the 642 and 640 because of the concealed hammer design. I also picked stainless because Im sweaty.

I definitely prefer shooting the 640 over the 642, but the difference is not as big as some seem to claim.

357 magnum from the 640 is loud. I usually load Winchester 130gr 38 sp +p JHP for carry.

I like all of my snubnose revolvers, but for carry, I dont want an exposed hammer.

The J frames are my primary carry. When the mood strikes, I sometimes carry two. I find that my personal threat level is pretty low, and I spend a significant amount of effort keeping it that way. My trips to the hardware store are not particularly tactical. That said, I still value being able to defend myself and my family from goblins.

I also find the small revolvers have a good combination of power and size. Data certainly suggests that if I do my part, 38sp +p or 357 mag will suffice.

I did find snubnose revolvers challenging to shoot, but with practice (starting with larger revolvers) I got used to the double action triggers.

The other gun on my carry permit is a Shield, but I rarely carry that. One of the big reasons is that I usually pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Its very convenient and increases the likelihood that I will carry a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grizzly2 likes this.

I can be fairly referred to as a snubbie “addict”. No matter what I try to do to leave snubs behind, I keep coming back. They just carry so well, and, quite frankly, I shoot them better than anything else, contrary to convention...

Just picked up my “Grail” 640 Pro, at this stage I’m ready to embrace and celebrate the addiction.

First shots out of the box, then rapid fire. Love the weight for recoil control and shot recovery. I figure any gun I can grab and fire off 5 as quick as I can while keeping all shots within the space of a closed fist from 7 yards ought to be my carry gun, capacity and other arguments notwithstanding. Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-986e0e10-4e17-4043-b773-45cb08739472_1590276462748.jpegSince we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-562e1f53-5fad-480f-8afe-3c446e7a50c9_1590276488574.jpeg
    Yep. I'm THAT guy.

My self .. I look at a snubbie is a revolver with a barrel length as less than 3 inches

I marked Ultra light ... but if your revolver brand is Charter ... all their revolvers are light... when compared to other companies metal framed revolvers

I have several snub nose revolvers
    Charter Bulldog 38spl 6 shot 2.2 inch barrel 20oz
    Charter Bulldog 44spl 5 shot 2.5 inch barrel 20oz
    Charter Boomer 44Spl 5 shot 2 inch barrel 16oz
    Charter Pitbull 45 ACP 5 Shot 2.5 inch barrel 22oz
    Charter Undercover UL 38spl 2 inch barrel 12oz
    Ruger LCR357 357 mag 2 inch barrel with compact grip 16oz

I carry the Undercover Lite most ,,, Boomer 2nd

If you include 3 inch. barrel revolvers

S&W Mod 36 38spl 5 shot 3 inch barrel 23oz
    Charter Arms Professional 357mag 6 shot 3inch barrel 22oz

12.5oz Airweight 637-2 with titanium cylinder converted to 9mm. Got three of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-2018-10-10-12_1590333454151.46.51.jpg  

Buckeye63 likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links