Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,

This is a discussion on Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers, within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since we're talking about snub nose revolvers, please tell us why you chose to carry what you do. How many different models did you try ...

View Poll Results: Since we're talking about snub nose revolvers, please tell us why you chose to carry

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • All steel

53 45.69%
  • Ultra light

58 50.00%
  • Exposed hammer

40 34.48%
  • Concealed hammer

58 50.00%
  • Bobbed hammer

19 16.38%
  • Back up gun

29 25.00%
  • Primary gun

43 37.07%
  • 5 shot

82 70.69%
  • 6 shot

25 21.55%
  • 7 or more shots

3 2.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,

Since we're talking about snub nose revolvers, please tell us why you chose to carry what you do. How many different models did you try before settling on what you now carry and why? If you once liked steel and now ultra light why? Which model do you prefer and why? Which brands have you tried and now dislike or like and why? Is this a back up or primary gun and why? Did you give up on snubs because they were too difficult to master or have they grown on you for various reasons? What calibers have you tried and settled on? Lots of questions to choose from, but you may have other thoughts I've not mentioned. Please share.
    dangerranger likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ in My Tho at the Seminary. 1967-1969

I prefer an all steel J-frame due to the weight helping to absorb some of the recoil. I have tried a couple of the air weight revolvers and even with the lightest loads for me they are uncomfortable to shoot and could lead to flinching.

Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-n_m36_r.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

My snub is a DAO SP101. When I carry it, it's the primary. It's heavy enough to tame even my heavy handloads(158 XTP).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-sp101.jpg  

Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-sp101-small-.jpg  

OD*, msgt/ret, Grizzly2 and 11 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Is it bad that I checked every box?
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Senior Moderator
    In retirement I most often carry the Smith & Wesson Model 649 as a back-up. It is a shrunken 5-shot revolver that shoots like it was picked before it was ripe and is not full grown. It is all-steel and offers choices of double-action or single-action trigger and has a shrouded hammer. Best choice of the J-Frame snubs in my opinion.

I would prefer to carry the Colt Detective Special as a back-up in a holster or in a pocket. All-steel, holds six rounds, compact yet shoots like a service revolver rather than a shrunken J-Frame snub. Better than all J-Frame snubs in my opinion. I carried this revolver daily for some years prior to retirement. I just don't want to put a lot more wear on my Detective Special.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; March 5th, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

I carry an LCR .38 with an XS Dot sight and a CT Laser grip. I like it because it has one of the best out of the box triggers of any gun of its kind, it comes pretty much "deburred," meaning there are really no sharp edges on it. It is light, but the felt recoil is manageable for me. With the high-viz sights and the laser, it gives me a quick sight picture and I find it accurate for a snub. I load it with Gold Dot +P short barrel loads.

I used to carry a Model 36 and I still have it. It was a bit too heavy for me for pocket carry and the sights point high and to the left. It's still a great gun, though.
    Grizzly2, OD*, BamaT and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I bought my wife a 3" 36 pinned barrel years ago. I loved the way it shot though it did loosen at the crane, created a little gap there. I doubt it had 50 +p rounds through it. Mostly light hand loads and wadcutters. I'd have never traded it if I ever thought Illinois would one day allow ccw. I was looking at a Decective Special and wish I'd bought it but the dealer told me that most in the local PD would use the 3" Smith if they had difficulty qualifying with their shorter snubs. Made sense to me and so that's what I bought her. Later, I discovered she shot my 6" model 14 much better.

Next I tried a recent production 2" Taurus 85. It was heavy in a pocket but was easy to shoot. Problem was the barrel was installed crooked - Not clocked. It shot left and so I got rid of it.

Now I have a 3" .44 special Bulldog. It has a steel frame and I wish it also had a steel grip frame instead of alum for a bit more weight. I enjoy carrying and shooting it. My problem is I love how it carries and wish it shot like a K frame with adj sights. Can't have both and so I enjoy what it is. With deep pockets I can carry it all year. With a jacket though, it's usually in a Mernickle holster loaded with 200gr Underwood full wadcutters.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a smaller, lighter snub in .38 special. I've had to return to Davidsons, 2 Performance Center 642's with clocked barrels. Not sure I will try again and not sure what I may wind up with. Thinking about trying to split the difference in weight between ultra light and steel. Maybe something in .357 to shoot 38s in. I'd like 6 shots and some more barrel length but want it to fit in jacket pockets.
    Last edited by Grizzly2; March 4th, 2020 at 02:38 AM.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I carry an LCR .38 with an XS Dot sight and a CT Laser grip. I like it because it has one of the best out of the box triggers of any gun of its kind, it comes pretty much "deburred," meaning there are really no sharp edges on it. It is light, but the felt recoil is manageable for me. With the high-viz sights and the laser, it gives me a quick sight picture and I find it accurate for a snub. I load it with Gold Dot +P short barrel loads.

I used to carry a Model 36 and I still have it. It was a bit too heavy for me for pocket carry and the sights point high and to the left. It's still a great gun, though.
    Is poa and poi the same with your LCR 38? I've read they shoot high left iirr and that the 9mm LCRs shot to poa. I'd sure like to get "lucky" and buy something that shoots where I aim. I seem to remember the 3" 36 doing that.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    My main carry gun these days is a 3" S&W M629. Does that count?

Since we are talking about snub nose revolvers,-m629-classic-grips.jpg

That said, my Kimber K6S has been logging some pocket time lately around the house.

I carry a revolver because I shoot it better, it's more reliable, and since most civilian gunfights are over in a few shots, I opt for power over capacity. I prefer a steel frame because I don't mind carrying the weight and I don't enjoy shooting a alloy frame gun.

I have an all stainless 640 no dash .38 SPL and a 642 Pro cut for moon clips... depends if ankle carry/pocket or OWB/IWB.
    Tstone, Grizzly2 and OD* like this.

Distinguished Member
    I have carried steel and lightweight "J" frames in .38 Special and .357, the Ruger SP-101, a Kimber K6s, and a Charter Arms .44 Special. They have had exposed hammers, shrouded hammers, bobbed hammers, and some have been hammerless. My current most frequent carried small revolver is a S&W M442. I prefer the black/blue revolvers over the stainless as I have convinced myself they aren't as obvious if you're taking one out of your pocket or drawing it.

I found the lightweight .357s more than I like on recoil. The steel frame S&Ws, the Kimber and Ruger handle .357s fine, but they are heavier than I prefer pocket carrying. My only .44 Special snubbie was sort of a lemon, never shooting to POA. I might give another one a go sometime, as I like the .44 special cartridge.

The lightweight "J" frames are comfortable for me to carry in a pocket and I like being able to place my hand on the grip unobtrusively.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post

I carry a revolver because I shoot it better, it's more reliable, and since most civilian gunfights are over in a few shots, I opt for power over capacity.
    I agree but there are a lot of guys on here who wouldn't regarding civilian gunfights being over in a few shots since their quick trip to the grocery store has high rounds and multiple guns. I've never used a revolver as a backup either. It's primary.

Whether it's a lightweight revolver or heavier steel, there's no discrimination on my part regarding what gets carried. They're all good. Just so it doesn't hit 29-30 oz. for pocket carry and style of pants worn that day. Certain pants might bring it down to below 20 or 21 oz. which is were the ultra-lites have their place.
    Tstone, drmordo, Grizzly2 and 3 others like this.

A j-frame 442 is my pick. For the simple reason that it was a good price.

Itís an airweight; easy to carry but packs a wallop when shooting full FBI loads.

Usually have it loaded with some 125 grain JHP +P that I can shoot tolerably well.

Also have an SP101. That thing is so heavy you can shoot whatever load you want and itís a pleasure. I donít carry it often only because I donít have a suitable holster yet.

Would like to pick up an LCR to try someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    airslot, Grizzly2, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My Dan Wesson 15-2 used to be my EDC simply because I can shoot it the best out of all the pistols I have but it became a little bit of a burden after a surgery I had last summer. Since then my 360 Airweight has become my EDC and since swapping out the factory grips is quite accurate and controllable even with .357 ammo. I still love to shoot the DW but the lighter weight and smaller size of my J frame makes it easier to carry concealed everywhere.
    Sadly can't vote on the poll thru Tapatalk....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by duane_wade; March 4th, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

I picked "ultra lite" for the poll question...comfort is a big factor for me when it comes to hanging a piece of metal on my belt every day.

I carry a J frame 437 with 135gr +P Speer Gold Dots or 125gr +P Remington Ultimate Defense = I like both.

Reliability is also a factor for me...especially when considering a small gun.

Guns that didn't make it =

Glock 42 - don't like glocks and didn't want glock leg

Bersa BP9cc - printed like crazy on me - but nice to shoot - and didn't want glock leg

Ruger SP101 - lovely revolver but too heavy

Taurus G2 9mm - not a large pistol by any means - but too large for my liking

Citadel 1911 compact 9mm - way heavy but an awesome little 1911 to shoot

I still carry a Taurus 327 magnum snubby from time to time...6 rounds of .32 H&R magnums is no joke. I love the ammo versatility and just think its a cool little wheel gun.

Ultimately for me the round lines on a revolver blend in with the body nicely and the weight of the J frame is easily manageable.

Its easy to operate, easy to maintain, and always goes BANG.
    duane_wade, Grizzly2, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "All the armies of Europe and Asia could not by force take a drink from the Ohio River or make a track on the Blue Ridge in the trial of a thousand years...As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide.Ē ― Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links