DB9 as a ankle gun

DB9 as a ankle gun

This is a discussion on DB9 as a ankle gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a first gen DB9 as my ankle gun for 3 years now. It was a tough little thing to get to fire ...

Like Tree25Likes
  • 1 Post By APX-9M
  • 7 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 3 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By APX-9M
  • 3 Post By Haywood
  • 2 Post By Wavygravy
  • 5 Post By franco45
  • 2 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: DB9 as a ankle gun

Distinguished Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Smile DB9 as a ankle gun

I've been carrying a first gen DB9 as my ankle gun for 3 years now. It was a tough little thing to get to fire more than three rounds at first but I put in the improvement that the folks on pocket guns and gear gave. After that It will pop off 6 rounds of HST regular like a snapping turtle. The problem with Gen 1 is that it has to be taken apart to clean. Now they have a Gen 2 that has a Slide Stop. Have any of you folks fired the Gen 2. I was looking to replace it with one of the other little guns but I sort of like this thing. I picked up the new Shield EZ but it seems a bit large to be an ankle pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I've been carrying a first gen DB9 as my ankle gun for 3 years now. It was a tough little thing to get to fire more than three rounds at first but I put in the improvement that the folks on pocket guns and gear gave. After that It will pop off 6 rounds of HST regular like a snapping turtle. The problem with Gen 1 is that it has to be taken apart to clean. Now they have a Gen 2 that has a Slide Stop. Have any of you folks fired the Gen 2. I was looking to replace it with one of the other little guns but I sort of like this thing. I picked up the new Shield EZ but it seems a bit large to be an ankle pistol.
    It's on the gen 3 now if I'm not mistaken, and it'it's the Gen3s that have a slide stop. I had a gen2 and it was failure after failure. That and it hurt to shoot. The reviews on the G3 weren't any better than my gen2. I seen the G3's on sale a few months ago, but I was turned off by the multiple unaffiliated problematic reviews. A Kahr CM9 is more reliable, has a better trigger, and is about the same size...
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member
    I will not buy a gun that I have to buy improvement kits to make run.
    I can see doing things to a gun to make them more accurate, but just to make them run normally, no way.
    I will stick to my little .38 snubby revolver. It fits perfectly on my ankle. It is just for a backup

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Iím confused. Donít you have to take any semi auto apart to clean it?
    Wavygravy, franco45 and APX-9M like this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I can see doing things to a gun to make them more accurate, but just to make them run normally, no way.
    I will stick to my little .38 snubby revolver. It fits perfectly on my ankle. It is just for a backup
    What makes it worse is that the DB9 is like over a decade old, is on it's 3rd gen, but still has the same issue with reliability. I can be understanding with problems on a new introduction, but I won't carry a gun from a manufacturer who even after over a decade still can get it right....

It's ba neat little pistols, and would be an ultimate backup gun if it worked reliably.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Canít beat a Snub Revolver. One for the pocket, One for the waist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB9 as a ankle gun-9361f680-bd05-4f3b-89bf-e7493b7d11cb.jpeg  

Last edited by Haywood; March 13th, 2020 at 06:26 PM.
    Texas Red, 10thmtn and Bad Bob like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APX-9M View Post
    What makes it worse is that the DB9 is like over a decade old, is on it's 3rd gen, but still has the same issue with reliability. I can be understanding with problems on a new introduction, but I won't carry a gun from a manufacturer who even after over a decade still can get it right....

It's ba neat little pistols, and would be an ultimate backup gun if it worked reliably.
    There's the problem. Too many cases where it doesn't.
    APX-9M and Bad Bob like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Actually they are on gen 4 and yes they still suck. Ask me how I know?

Diamondback AR's......they are ok.

Diamondback handguns......they just cannot get them to function reliably. They are next door to Orlando over in Cocoa Beach I believe. That being said, they should stick to rifles and give up the handgun business entirely. After more than ten years they are still producing paperweights.
    Wavygravy and franco45 like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

The fact that you hardly ever even hear this pistol talked about, speaks volumes. A shame really, as this gun has so much potential.
    APX-9M likes this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The fact that you hardly ever even hear this pistol talked about, speaks volumes. A shame really, as this gun has so much potential.
    I agree. I really did want this gun to work.

The husband of one of the wife's friends has one of these and is darn proud of it. Not sure how many rounds he's put through it. I doubt it's very many. He doesn't seem like the type to put many rounds through a gun before carry.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

I carry a DB but it is the full size model. DB9FS but it's been discontinued.
    Carry it everyday. Love it. Been totally reliable. I haven't seen another one in person though.

I know there have been issues with the DB9. I went with a Ruger LC9s and EC9s for a small compact 9mm's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB9 as a ankle gun-69260521.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Agreed... Even though I sold mine years ago, I still kept the holster and other gear with hopes that they'll eventually would get their act together...

I'm hoping that their patent runs out on the DB9, and Ruger does the same thing to it that they did with the Kel Tec P3at..

I bought one last year & so far itís been reliable. It took a little bit of breaking in and it is ammo sensitive. I found that if I stick to whatís recommended in the ownerís manual it works fine. Itís a little painful to shoot. For what it is Iíve found itís OK. Itís not the kind of gun you want to shoot 100 rounds through at 1 range session.

Sponsored Links