Has your mode of carrying and choice of weapon changed? (Read poll carefully, please)

Has your mode of carrying and choice of weapon changed? (Read poll carefully, please)

This is a discussion on Has your mode of carrying and choice of weapon changed? (Read poll carefully, please) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my wife and I first started training with firearms, a short 11 years ago, we were both newcomers to modern weapons. I had no ...

View Poll Results: Has what and how you carry changed over time?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, my method of carry has not changed, but my firearm has.

30 20.98%
  • No, my firearm selection has not changed, but how I carry has changed.

5 3.50%
  • Neither my method of carry nor my firearm of choice has changed.

38 26.57%
  • Yes, my method of carry has changed AND my firearm has changed.

58 40.56%
  • Other?

12 8.39%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Has your mode of carrying and choice of weapon changed? (Read poll carefully, please)

When my wife and I first started training with firearms, a short 11 years ago, we were both newcomers to modern weapons. I had no experience with semi-autos, holsters, etc. My wife had a lot more experience with weapons than I as she had taken a full semester course of police firearms 40 years prior.

Our instructor trained us on Glocks and we both started shooting with G17s. I can still recall being intimidated by holstering a loaded Glock the first few times I did so.

Over the years, I sought out the opportunity to try a variety of weapons and holsters, gradually going through a selection of holsters, different Glocks, as well as a Colt and a Kahr. I switched from outside the waistband carry, to inside the waistband carry, to appendix carry. Along the way, I also tried a holster shirt, ankle carry, and have had three different pocket guns.

Today, my main weapon of choice is a Sig P229 (DA/SA) with an appendix carry holster. I do pocket carry and ankle carry a couple of times a week, most weeks. I still have most of the Glocks I have purchased and most of the holsters I have purchased, too. They're all good solid pieces of gear.

Today, I prefer to carry a Sig for several reasons. Among them are I like the extra bit of security the DA/SA action provides, I like how the weight of the pistol helps soak up some of the recoil, I like the feel of the Sig, and I like the aesthetics of the pistol. I also at this point prefer to carry AIWB for comfort, security, and the ability to see what I am doing while reholstering. That's just what works for me and why I have made the decisions I have made. Certainly, that could all change as I continue to age...

But what about YOU? Has what you carry changed over time? If so, was there a particular reason?
    DZUS, bmcgilvray and Redbert31 like this.
    "The end of your muzzle and a penis have something in common. If you don't know where they're at all the time, you're going to get in trouble, regardless of your gender." Clint Smith

I did not see a poll. I have been shooting for over 50 years and I carried as a plainclothes security guard starting about 45 years ago. I used to carry a J frame in an AIWB holster. When I got my first CC permit about 15 years ago, I had the same J frame and the same holster, but I didn't EDC. I kept it in my glove box. I got on this site several years ago and got inspired to EDC. I have tried other guns and carry modes, but I have settled on an LCR in a pocket holster. I like the concealability, the convenience and the weapon security. Not very tacticool, I know, but there it is.

If I want to amp it up, I will go to an IWB or OWB 1911 or .357 revolver.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

No, my method of carry has not changed. While some of my equipment has changed over the years, holsters and guns, I still carry OWB at 3:00 'o clock. I have four guns in my primary carry stable and a few in my secondary stable. I also have two brands and styles of holsters for these guns. I have found that my current setup(s) work best for me and have used these for the past thirteen years. Don't suppose I'll be changing things anytime soon.

Oh, and I do have two .380ACP pocket guns just for those times when such carry is in my preferred interest, which are few.
    G26Raven and Recon1342 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I did not see a poll. I have been shooting for over 50 years and I carried as a plainclothes security guard starting about 45 years ago. I used to carry a J frame in an AIWB holster. When I got my first CC permit about 15 years ago, I had the same J frame and the same holster, but I didn't EDC. I kept it in my glove box. I got on this site several years ago and got inspired to EDC. I have tried other guns and carry modes, but I have settled on an LCR in a pocket holster. I like the concealability, the convenience and the weapon security. Not very tacticool, I know, but there it is.

If I want to amp it up, I will go to an IWB or OWB 1911 or .357 revolver.
    There's always a lag between the time you post the text and the time you post the poll. The post is usually up for at least a minute before I can enter all the options for the poll. Sorry for the delay, but it's a technical issue with the way the forum works that is beyond my control.
    OD* and Redbert31 like this.
    "The end of your muzzle and a penis have something in common. If you don't know where they're at all the time, you're going to get in trouble, regardless of your gender." Clint Smith

I voted other, because my preferred tool and method have not really changed, I have just allowed that it is ok for me to exercise those options with no prejudice.
    G26Raven and SWIll like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member
    I've gone from a .45 Kimber and then a wide range of Glock and M&P 9mm's and .45's at 3:00 to a .45 Shield at 11:30.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Yes, I've been EDCing for the past 35 years. Yes the method and the firearm carried have changed over the years. In fact, it still does - in order to successfully carry/be armed 24/7/365 - the method and the gun selection changes from time to time.

That is why I have different holster/carry options - OWB, IWB, fanny pack, shoulder rig, ankle holster, pocket holster, off-body carry, etc... and why I have my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun - there are occasions when it becomes necessary to "go a different route".
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

sgb
    From high school to the USMC to LE to Private Security/Investigations/Courier work my carry guns and methods have varied greatly. My long time #1 choice for decades was the 1911 in .45acp carried at 3 to 3:30, due to age, spinal infirmities and advances in JHP ammunition design I currently carry a Sig P229R 9mm in a messenger style bag with a S&W 442 in my left front pocket.
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Growing up in the 1950s, I shot and open carried big bore revolvers. The Navy introduced me to a government model 1911 in the 1960s. My only owned handgun for many years was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

In 1992, the state we lived in changed from "may issue" to "shall issue". My wife and I got our first concealed carry permits. The state allowed two handguns by serial number listed on the back of the permit and you had to qualify with them at the range. My listed handguns were an S&W 640 .357 magnum and a Glock G20 10mm.

At one time, I was up to nine Glocks including two full size and one compact in .45 ACP, 10mm. and 9mm for carry. I went through about every known carry position and holster style. I always went back to a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 with reloads @ 9:00 on my belt covered by an untucked garment.

In 2011, I bought my first ever government model 1911. Now, I am up to twelve in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I carry a 1911 about 95% of the time as my primary handgun carried in a leather pancake style holster on my belt. I am down to one Glock G35 and one SA XD(M) in .40 S&W. I carry one of them with two double-stack spare magazines if I have to spend much time in Portland. I have revolvers in .357 magnum, .45 Colt, 10mm, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull for carry in rural areas or in the woods.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I carry at 3:00, IWB or OWB. That hasn't changed. My EDC has.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

I have pretty much always carried IWB around 4 o clock(other than the occasional pocket carry), however I have been through many types of guns and holsters. I’ve tried AIWB a few times but it never became a habit. So I said my method of carry has not changed but my firearm has.
    G26Raven likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Not much has changed.
    2 different firearms carried in the same manner.
    Now if I ever get a little 38, then it might change.
    G26Raven likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Tough question. I have "dabbled" in other forms of handguns, but I keep coming back to 1911's. So, I answered that I have stayed with the same pistol - a 1911. I have always gone back and forth with how I carry, but whenever possible, I use a shoulder holster (preferably a vertical shoulder holster), but a belt holster gets used when appropriate.

Other... My manner of carry has not changed, but I carry 2-3 different firearms, depending on my mood--not because I need the latest and greatest.
    G26Raven, G-man*, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

On active duty I carried a Model 10/15 revolver since that was what I was issued, a shoulder holster was the best option under a flight suit since I did not wear a belt. Since retiring I carry mainly 1911s with the only change is caliber and barrel length and IWB at 9 o’clock.
    OD* and sgb like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links