CA Mag Restrictions & Choice of Daily Carry

This is a discussion on CA Mag Restrictions & Choice of Daily Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently moved from Virginia to California, and have a question on selecting a new daily carry firearm. [Yes, it's difficult to attain a ccw, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: CA Mag Restrictions & Choice of Daily Carry

I recently moved from Virginia to California, and have a question on selecting a new daily carry firearm. [Yes, it's difficult to attain a ccw, but not impossible. :) ]

In VA, my daily carry was a G19 for all the reasons you've heard a million times: reliability, size, capacity, etc, etc...

However, CA's new magazine restriction has compelled me to rethink what I carry. I'm NOT a lawyer, so while I'm sure there are exceptions to the rules re: 10 round magazines, I don't wish to press my luck if in discussion with an LEO. So, with capacity no longer a major factor when selecting a daily driver, what do you suggest?

Elements of consideration:
    - Concealability. I'm 6'5, 250, and the G19 conceals just fine. However, since capacity is not really an issue in this exercise, perhaps something smaller is equally as good?
    - Environment. I live in a very safe city. Crime stats are near the lowest in the state. I know, things are good until they're not...
    - Clothing. I'm in dress casual most days, suits some days, and jeans others. This is also a factor in firearm size.
    - Familiarity. I'm very familiar with the Glock platform. Like many other veterans, I'm also comfortable with the M9 Beretta (not being considered right now). That said, I'm not familiar with the 1911 platform.
    - I will train with this new firearm to become proficient, but I don't expect to enter 3-gun competitions or be at the range 2x's a week putting thousands of rounds through it.

Here are my thoughts to date:
    1. G26. Have owned and carried before.
    2. G36. If I'm limited to 10, why not a .45 and carry a second magazine?
    3. Walther PPK. Aside from the cliche factor, the size and capacity are great for a dressier lifestyle. However, I've read some negative comments about reliability. Many said that it takes time to break in...so malfunctions decrease after 200+ rounds? I have no in-person experience, so interested in your thoughts.
    4. G43. Size is on the money, and 9mm means I can buy one caliber for everything I own.

Two questions: (1) What am I missing re: decision making process? (2) What other options do you think are great choices?

Any inputs to my decision making process is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Under a 10 round limit, I'd only carry a pistol originally designed to hold 10 rounds or less. Principle.
    Glock 26, 27, 29, 30, 38 or a 1911 are examples. Glock 30 and 26 take full advantage of the arbitrary, ineffective, and stupid 10 round limit.
    Pass on the Glock 36 (I've had a couple and never warmed to them) and it only has 6 rounds, the 30SF and 30S offer 10 rounds.
    10 round capacity and a spare mag for the win.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

VIP Member
    We have no mag limits where I live. That said, I carry a 6+1 Shield .45 with a couple seven round spare mags. I have a bunch of double stackers locked in the safe.
    APX-9M, Nmuskier and airslot like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If the G19 works for you then just carry a spare 10 round mag.

If you want smaller then the G26 is the obvious choice for mag compatibility.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

I would leave Commiefornia at your earliest opportunity!
    Chief1297, simonp67 and Melvin like this.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    We have no mag limits where I live. That said, I carry a 6+1 Shield .45 with a couple seven round spare mags. I have a bunch of double stackers locked in the safe.
    The Shield 45 is the only Shield I really like. We have the same setup. I also carry mine with the 6 round flush mag (owb pancake holster) with two 7 round reloads (leather double mag pouch). I'm thinking about replacing mine with the 4" version though...
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APX-9M View Post
    The Shield 45 is the only Shield I really like. We have the same setup. I also carry mine with the 6 round flush mag (owb pancake holster) with two 7 round reloads (leather double mag pouch). I'm thinking about replacing mine with the 4" version though...
    The 4" Performance Center model is the one I carry most of the time.
    APX-9M likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If the G19 works for you then just carry a spare 10 round mag.

If you want smaller then the G26 is the obvious choice for mag compatibility.
    This, the vast majority of people are not as proficient with a small concealment gun. Stick with what is going to work best under duress. Carry extra mags.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Are you allowed to carry a revolver? Your size seems like that would work, and the caliber is effective.

You could pocket carry a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot or S&W 442 38 +P.

Other options include a S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum. For reloads I carry a spare gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by OD*; March 25th, 2020 at 10:53 PM.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    This, the vast majority of people are not as proficient with a small concealment gun. Stick with what is going to work best under duress. Carry extra mags.
    This^^^. You are already familiar with the platform and can conceal it, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Buy Calif. compliant magazines and you will be good to go. Unless, of course, you just feel the need to buy something new.
    dangerranger and matthew03 like this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself – "hands behind the back" – toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

If you are already familiar with the Glock platform, just get a G26 or 27 and call it good.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

As I am sure you know https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search are the only handguns that can be sold in CA ..Anything elese will be pricy and not fun to get esp hot new stuff

Me if I were in CA

1. Glock 48 (again not on list so ...) 10 rounds only silm and easy to carry ..
    2. Wheel guns like a model 10 classic easy to use and with speed loaders handy
    3. A pp or ppk in 32acp only of course classic and a very easy to carry and shoot gun
    4. Sig 239 again single stack and easy to carry and use and has 10 round mags for
    3. The whole old school sig ling 230 /220/225/p6 etc all single stack and easy to carry I would go for 220 as it is 45acp so bit more bang for your 8 or 10

Of what you listed

Glock 36 ..No way I hate that thing just not fun to carry or shoot the mag bottom snages me when I shoot it ..Glock 30sf over it no question 9 Flush for carry 10 as back up .
    Glock 26 good choice but in CA would go 19 as it is a little easier to control or if you can find one a 48
    PPK good choice but good ones are not cheep ( ie 32acp pre s&w etc ) ..PPK/L model is amazing for carry if one can be found
    Glock 43 ..No get a 43x or 48 due to mags
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also to add if you can for god sakes dont buy a CA legal model of a gun esp esp esp Sigs and Ruger they add so much extra crap to them it is not fun at all ie LCI etc that make them not usably with normal gun model stuff like slides

Also note for glock the 42/43/48/43x all are not on list and no past gen 3 guns are on list ..SF and RFT yes nothing past gen 4 or 5 ..You can still get them but in state no easy and gets hardrer by the date and esp for populare guns exp very very very high prices seen them as much as 50% over what they are in a free state

Oh and no walter made PPK are legal to sale in ca again see above ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If it were me I'd just buy a couple of "Glock" 10 round mags to fit your gun! It's something you are already comfortable with. And won't come with any other CA compatable safety equipment! I personally carry a J frame revolver, but its half the ammo of your 19.

By the way as you were driving into CA did it feel like you were swimming upstream? Or against the current?
    What brought you here? The Beach, Movie Stars, or maybe a Court order? Enquiring Minds need to know. DR
    Hoganbeg likes this.

No rush, if you turned in your application today you have a year to decide. Why not just stick wit the 19?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links