Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college. - Page 3

Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college.

This is a discussion on Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nipperdog Ah yes: the 1911 Automatic. It is an expression of Weapoligical Purity Crafted by the Hands of John Moses Browning, who ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
    Ah yes: the 1911 Automatic. It is an expression of Weapoligical Purity Crafted by the Hands of John Moses Browning, who also created the M2 50 Cal MG, M35, the BAR, and an assortment of Colt Automatics. Most of the aforementioned weapons still exist and function to this day. I love the 1911 and always will.
    Well said. Browning was a genius
    I like your stable of fillies there.

VIP Member
    A Glock is the woman you have children with....A 1911 is the babe you have “fun” with....
    MMinSC, airslot and forester58 like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    A Glock is the woman you have children with....:
    If you live in the projects.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    I view handguns simplistically as tools, nothing more or less.
    Best hammer I’ve ever owned:

Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college.-dc78c177-fc1b-45ed-a85e-f994427b0a9d.jpeg
    “Beware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.”

Ah, Forester, you have the soul of a poet!
    bmcgilvray and airslot like this.
    ...You will understand everything immediately, when you yourself – "hands behind the back" – toddle into our Archipelago. ---Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    A Glock is the woman you have children with....A 1911 is the babe you have “fun” with....
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    If you live in the projects.
    MMinSC and airslot like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Your college girlfriend ran track & field?
    bmcgilvray and forester58 like this.

This opening posts is perhaps the very best post I’ve ever read.

Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Fun thread forester58!

But ... nope.

For me it's just ... nope.

I'm gonna dance with what "brung" me. I got my first 1911 in the same year I got my little bride of 42 years, come this November. I'm still stuck on both for there's never been either another self-loading pistol or woman more completely impressive or over time could possibly prove to be more dependable.

I will not be dissuaded in holding that opinion because I'm "livin' the dream" and I know it.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    I view handguns simplistically as tools, nothing more or less.
    And that is your right, but much like a hand-built sports car or an heirloom quality watch, a fine weapon has an almost magical character, because it contains within it a small piece of its maker’s soul...
    “We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school.”
    – Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Sooner than later you will realize she was the one that got away.
    Over forty years together and she is still as sexy and sweet running as the day we met.
    And when she is not getting hot and smoking rounds, she still makes my heart pound just looking at her.
    Try to stare longingly at your polymer gun for a while.
    See there is nothing there, soulless they are the street waking prostitutes of the gun world
    I agree my friend but (and its a controversial but) I don't stare longingly at my hammers or screw drivers in my tool chest either. Truth be told I don't have the bank account to collect tools that would deserve such admiration. I am just a chicken fried steak, old F150 type of guy. I maintain all the mechanicals of my vehicles but, I don't fix dents and scratches or spend money on fancy wheels or other doodads because I just don't care about how they look as long as they work well. All the wood grips on my revolvers are removed and replaced with Pachmayr or Uncle Mike's because they just work better for drawing and retaining the guns with sweaty or bloody hands. They look like crap though compared to the original wood stocks. I feel the same about stainless which IMO does not look as nice as bluing but, is easier to maintain and keep from rusting.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    The problem I have is, that over the years I have found flaws in every type of gun.

But the secret is, just like loving a woman, is to remain quiet and learn to love them for who/what they are, and realizing some of the flaws you see are actually shortcomings on your part.
    Yes Sir. That is a fact. All of the shortcomings are on me.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Ah, Forester, you have the soul of a poet!
    Hoganbeg is correct, Forester. Even though I don't agree with you, that opening was well-written and an enjoyable read. What fun!
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Fun thread forester58!

But ... nope.

For me it's just ... nope.

I'm gonna dance with what "brung" me. I got my first 1911 in the same year I got my little bride of 42 years, come this November. I'm still stuck on both for there's never been either another self-loading pistol or woman more completely impressive or over time could possibly prove to be more dependable.

I will not be dissuaded in holding that opinion because I'm "livin' the dream" and I know it.

I have to tell you that you and several others here are an inspiration to honor those classics and I love seeing pics of your wonderful firearms and I appreciate those of you who actively preserve such a glorious firearms era. I wish I could do the same. I cringe when I see a classic car turned into a "hot rod" even though I cannot afford either in my life. Thank you for posting pics with so many of your posts. It is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
    Ah yes: the 1911 Automatic. It is an expression of Weapoligical Purity Crafted by the Hands of John Moses Browning, who also created the M2 50 Cal MG, M35, the BAR, and an assortment of Colt Automatics. Most of the aforementioned weapons still exist and function to this day. I love the 1911 and always will. More than I can say about all of those HS Girl Friends
    Now that's a 21 gun salute ....
    Nipperdog likes this.
    Retired USAF
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links