Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college.

This is a discussion on Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; She looked amazing with near perfect contours and felt even better than she looked. Properly tuned up she would run like a Ferrari on the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Why the 1911 is like that hot girl I dated in college.

She looked amazing with near perfect contours and felt even better than she looked. Properly tuned up she would run like a Ferrari on the Pacific coast highway and always left you wanting more.

I was mesmerized and totally in her spell. I ignored all others in my singular focus on "the one".

People tried to tell me not forget about others "You're becoming obsessive" they said. Your spending all your money and time with just that one and forgetting about the others who gave you their time and energy over the years.

Sure, she required a little more care and maintenance than the others but, she was worth it, right? I mean perfection takes a little dedication is all. I mean God didn't make this creation just to look at, it was meant to be cherished and admired and to make others jealous and envious. Only the finest coverings would do and money was spent on the accouterments that were proper for such a precious prize as she.

After a time I started to notice "little things" that started creeping in to my consciousness. Were there "flaws"? How could this be? She would get snippy at times and I seemed to lose my ability to keep her happy and content. Sure, it was probably mostly my fault (all my friends agreed that it was)but, I didn't have these tense times with others I had been with. Days would pass where she sat in complete silence and when we did get together it was short and less satisfying then I remembered. Doubt started to creep in if we were really meant to be together. I am certain she would make someone very happy but, was that someone me?

Alas,it eventually ended in a breakup. Not an angry or contentious breakup just a realization that we both were meant to be with someone else. Not someone better just someone different that more closely matched our personalities and likes. Do I have regrets? If you had ever driven a Ferrari down the coast highway you would not even be asking that question.
    Nothing but fond memories that bring a smile to my face when I think of the high times.

Sometimes with friends one will say "remember that one you were with?" and we all kind of chuckle and nod in that wistful remembering way. "Yeah, I remember", "those were good times". I was with the hottest one on campus for a time and boy what a time it was.

And your post immediately reminded me of this song... Of course, in that case, we would all be carrying Glocks...

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Well written!

But a 1911 when properly done (usually a sign that we cannot easily afford it) are not finicky but they WILL require more maintenance and its understandable once you start digging into it.

If I was told Id have to fight someone with deadly intent in five minutes I think Id want my 1911. If I were told I would have to live 10 years with just one pistol and no spares I WOULD grab a Glock 17 Gen5 or 19X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven, OldChap, G-man* and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The 1911 is like that 42 year old woman I dated when I was 28.

VIP Member
    Sooner than later you will realize she was the one that got away.
    Over forty years together and she is still as sexy and sweet running as the day we met.
    And when she is not getting hot and smoking rounds, she still makes my heart pound just looking at her.
    Try to stare longingly at your polymer gun for a while.
    See there is nothing there, soulless they are the street waking prostitutes of the gun world

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    The 1911 is like that 42 year old woman I dated when I was 28.
    Learned a lot from her, I bet...
    m5215, G-man*, MMinSC and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I view handguns simplistically as tools, nothing more or less.
    forester58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    The big question is do you view women any differently?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Gee....I bet youre fun to be around.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy. - Joe Lewis

Im not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a little dirty.....

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

VIP Member
    Blasphemy! Pure Blasphemy I say!
    Polymer guns are just tools but the 1911 or a handcrafted flintlock pistol or that 19th century Colt single action are definitely not just tools

Distinguished Member
    Wow. Social Distancing is beginning to take its toll.
    This place sounds like a fly-fishermen's forum in the dead of winter as cabin fever reaches peak shack nasties.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

My G41 is my Glock 1911 :) I will get around to picking one up eventually, but with a very nice CZ75B SA in .40, I'm in no hurry. I would like to find a sig 1911 when the time comes though, not the traditional profile either.
    forester58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Sooner than later you will realize she was the one that got away.
    Over forty years together and she is still as sexy and sweet running as the day we met.
    And when she is not getting hot and smoking rounds, she still makes my heart pound just looking at her.
    Try to stare longingly at your polymer gun for a while.
    See there is nothing there, soulless they are the street waking prostitutes of the gun world
    Well said, Im with you 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    WC145 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Wow. Social Distancing is beginning to take its toll.
    This place sounds like a fly-fishermen's forum in the dead of winter as cabin fever reaches peak shack nasties.
    Every forum I'm on has been jumping with new members and Necro thread resurrections galore. Seems like a boon to the gun owners/rights proponents.

I have a harem of twelve and want more! I take turns with them.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links