My newest .380

My newest .380

This is a discussion on My newest .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the SIG P290RS is not a particularly popular gun, especially in .380, but I've always been interested in it because I like DAO ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By Talldog
  • 1 Post By Grizzly2
  • 1 Post By Talldog
  • 1 Post By Talldog
  • 1 Post By Nipperdog

Thread: My newest .380

My newest .380

I know the SIG P290RS is not a particularly popular gun, especially in .380, but I've always been interested in it because I like DAO pistols. However, since it was discontinued a few years ago and I've never bought used guns, I figured that was the end of that. Or it was until about two weeks ago when I was checking out AmmoSeek's new gun search engine and ran across a new old stock black nitride model at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. After gnawing on it for about a week (and making sure the wife was good ), I decided to pull the trigger. However, the two-tone was always the one I wanted, so I figured it would hurt to do one last Google search. And, lo and behold, on the 7th or 8th results page, I found a new old stock two-tone at Guns.com. Turned out to be the only one they had. It was the enhanced pink model that came with pink grip panels, but what the heck, I knew they could be replaced, so I pulled the trigger.

I just picked it up today from my LGS/range/FFL. I cleaned it and threw on a set of black and red grip panels from CDNN Sports. Assuming the governor doesn't shut the state down before then, I plan to go shoot it on Monday morning. Here's a pic:

My newest .380-20200321_163856.jpg

Looks good. I like that. How's the trigger compared to say a S&W Bodyguard?

Are there extended mags available or is that grip enough?

I'm happy with my LCR Custom but would really like a true dao.
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2
    How's the trigger compared to say a S&W Bodyguard?
    I've never handled a Bodyguard, so I can't say. It's feels like a P250 that I shot a while back. Long, not too heavy, long reset. I'd say the DAO trigger on my SCCY CPX-3 might be a hair smoother. The SIG is more comfortable in my hand, though.

The gun comes with an extended 8 round mag that allows me a full grip. The little pinky thing on the 6 round mag allows for a comfortable 2 finger grip.
    Grizzly2 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Here's a pic with the 8 round mag:

My newest .380-20200321_212747.jpg
    Grizzly2 likes this.

I always liked that particular variety of SiG. nice find!!!
    Velocity is temporary, mass is forever...

I had the 9mm version and it was a very accurate gun for such a short barrel. Didn't fit my hand particularly well is why I moved on but, it was a reliable shooter and I like the trigger. I think you will like it.

At this particular time, I only own one .380 Pistol it's a NAA Guardian Hammer Fired DAO. It's probably less Popular than your Sig 290rs, but I like the gun. It probably weighs twice what some of the popular Polymer guns of similar size but the weight of the full stainless construction helps with the snappy recoil of the 380.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My newest .380-guardian-2_li.jpg  

Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Patience pays off. This is a nice looking SIG, now we need a range report.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I know the SIG P290RS is not a particularly popular gun, especially in .380, but I've always been interested in it because I like DAO pistols. However, since it was discontinued a few years ago and I've never bought used guns, I figured that was the end of that. Or it was until about two weeks ago when I was checking out AmmoSeek's new gun search engine and ran across a new old stock black nitride model at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. After gnawing on it for about a week (and making sure the wife was good ), I decided to pull the trigger. However, the two-tone was always the one I wanted, so I figured it would hurt to do one last Google search. And, lo and behold, on the 7th or 8th results page, I found a new old stock two-tone at Guns.com. Turned out to be the only one they had. It was the enhanced pink model that came with pink grip panels, but what the heck, I knew they could be replaced, so I pulled the trigger.

I just picked it up today from my LGS/range/FFL. I cleaned it and threw on a set of black and red grip panels from CDNN Sports. Assuming the governor doesn't shut the state down before then, I plan to go shoot it on Monday morning. Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200321_163856.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	318558
    I never knew the P290 came in 380... Congrats on your purchase!

Wow, those ain't cheap. I was looking on line. Over twice a LCP and even alot more than I gave for my Sig P250.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2
    Wow, those ain't cheap. I was looking on line. Over twice a LCP and even alot more than I gave for my Sig P250.
    These are not low quality guns. When they were being made, the MSRP was around $500. Now, however, the black nitride model can be had for $300. However, I'm not sure if this one comes with one or two mags.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer...l#.XnjvM4hKijg

New Member Array Gottasmilealot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    These are not low quality guns. When they were being made, the MSRP was around $500. Now, however, the black nitride model can be had for $300. However, I'm not sure if this one comes with one or two mags.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer...l#.XnjvM4hKijg
    They give you the grip panels, but not the extra magazine or night sights.

Congrats on the new Sig.380,nice looking little gun!

I miss my P290rs. I was foolish and sold mine (9mm) a few years ago. Wish SIG hadn't discontinued it. It was a fine little DAO pistol.

Well, I took the SIG for its first range visit yesterday. Mostly good, some bad.

The bad first. I shot a total of 250 rounds. It was flawless for the first approx. 130 rounds, but during the rest of the session I had 5 failures to feed, all exactly the same, with the cartridge sticking on the feed ramp. Tapping the slide would chamber the round without issue. Also a couple of times, when loading a new mag, I would release the slide, and the same thing with the cartridge sticking on the ramp. I expect that the feed ramp getting dirty or a weak recoil spring (or both) was causing the problem. When I got home, I cleaned the gun and the ramp was filthy. I think the natural polishing that occurs during the first few hundred rounds will make a big difference, but I'm also wondering if the gun sitting in a stockroom for 5 years could have weakened the recoil spring. I ordered a couple of springs online, but the vendor is shut down because of the Kung Flu and the order won't be processed until they're allowed to reopen. I couldn't find springs anywhere else. I also didn't realize that this gun has a 2-piece feed ramp, with half on the locking block and half on the barrel. When I initially cleaned the gun, I know I didn't pay enough attention to the locking block.

In any event, I don't condemn guns based on the initial range visit, unless they're complete jam-o-matics. If I did, I would have tossed my LCP II, which has turned out to be a great gun. Break-in periods are a real thing for a lot of pistols.

So now the good. First, the gun is an incredibly soft shooter, even softer than the Glock 42. It was a joy to shoot. It felt great in my hand with both the 6 and 8 round mags.

I didn't shoot this nearly as well as I do my Glock 26, but considering that this was my first time with a new, long DAO trigger, I'll take it. I have every expectation of shooting it better with more practice, although 66 year old eyes, astigmatism and progressive lenses do set an upper limit. Anyway, feel free to laugh.

This is my first mag. Offhand at 7 yards. I seemed to be shooting a bit high all day:

My newest .380-p290rs_range_1.jpg

Here's a 6 round mag at 10 yards:

My newest .380-p290rs_range_5.jpg

And the rest of the box at 10 yards:

My newest .380-p290rs_range_6.jpg

Here's an interesting picture of the ejection pattern. Everything was going 45 degrees over my right shoulder, with no brass to face, unlike most pistols I've owned.

My newest .380-p290rs_range_2.jpg

This was 7 yards one-handed. I think I was losing my concentration:

My newest .380-p290rs_range_4.jpg

Obviously, a lot is going to depend on my text range visit. After cleaning it yesterday, the feed ramp is definitely looking more polished, but I'm really wondering about that recoil spring. I definitely want to resolve that, because I love everything else about this gun.

Sponsored Links