Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns - Page 3

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

This is a discussion on Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. S&W Model 66 4” : First gun I ever bought for myself. Carried for several years as a young deputy. Went through Louisiana POST ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

1. S&W Model 66 4” : First gun I ever bought for myself. Carried for several years as a young deputy. Went through Louisiana POST law enforcement basic training academy with it (1984). Still carried at times.

2. 1911 .45 : First semi auto. Covers a lot of basics. Still carried at times.

3. S&W J Frame : Instilled my comfort with very small defensive handguns. My first was a 36 now days it’s a 642.

4. GLOCK 19 : Innovative design for it’s time. Stellar performance. Just about perfect size and weight for any defensive need.

5. Ruger S/A’s : I have ‘em in .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .22 LR/Mag ..... they make me feel like my childhood hero, Hoss Cartwright, and they’re just fun !
    Last edited by Bigsteve113; March 24th, 2020 at 03:50 PM.
    hrfunk and 5lima30ret like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

What's on your list?
    Howard
    For what period?
    LimaCharlie likes this.

Five Most Influential Handguns in My Life

1. Colt Diamondback .22LR – I *think* this was the first handgun I ever shot. I later became a big fan of its smooth action and its (quite literally) tack-driving accuracy.

2. Colt Python .357 Magnum – Where do I start. Dad used this gun to shoot a .38 cal blank at a coffee can, thus indoctrinating me into the world of gun safety. This was his Duty weapon (for a time). This was the first magnum handgun I ever shot. This was the first gun I ever reloaded for (Dad taught me to reload for this gun, and we put the gun through its paces with some pretty hot loads from the Speer Reloading Manual.

3. Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum – This is probably my favorite big-bore handgun. I’m at a loss for words to describe it, though. The classical, Old West styling, deep blued finish, silky-smooth hammer and light, crisp trigger are all factors. Using this one and the Python, Dad taught me to not flinch.

4. Colt Government Model of 1911 has the perfect combination of aesthetic beauty and functional utility. Dad’s was made in 1918 and became his duty weapon about the time angel dust became a thing, largely for its knockdown power. He defied many who criticized its lack of accuracy by being able to shoot accurately out to 100 yards with it. Perhaps that is why he was a firearms instructor at the county police academy.

5. Glock. While my first polymer, striker-fired pistol was a Taurus PT-145, I really learned to appreciate polymer pistols after shooting a Glock 21. The way it so easily came back on target after firing allowed me to look past its butt-ugly appearance and appreciate it for what it was, a rugged, reliable, well-made tool for self-defense in a caliber I liked (.45 ACP). Likewise, the Glock 19x expanded my world to include 9mm as a carry option. With its 17-round magazine in a concealable, easy-to-shoot-accurately package, I looked past the FDE. (Full disclosure - I have retired the 19x to the safe and use its 'civilian dressed' counterpart the G45.)
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock
    Merits elaboration:
    I like the consistent trigger pull.
    I carried a personally owned Glock as a cop in the early 1990's, won department shooting competition with it twice.
    Glock picked up the 10mm caliber long ago, low bore axis and thick slide of the Glock 20 help mitigate recoil. The Glock 20 surely assisted 10mm longevity.
    Glock introduced the 26/27 in response to the stupid 1994 AWB - 10 round limit; Glock 26 was (is) a easily concealed pistol that held the full arbitrary limit.
    Glock has a reputation for "out of the box" reliability, people can reasonably expect a Glock to work and feed nearly any HP without needing extensive "break-in".
    10thmtn likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Now THAT'S inaccurate!

Howard
    It would drive a tack only if you dropped one down the bore.
    Tstone and hrfunk like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ruger Single Six - First handgun I ever handled
    Beretta 96 - First handgun I ever bought - was the only real lefty-friendly pistol available at the time but ultimately not a good fit for me
    Glock G26 - First carry pistol I ever bought and it still gets plenty of carry time
    Ruger SP101 .357 - First revolver I ever bought
    S&W 1911 - First foray into 1911

Ruger Super Single Six- first single action I owned
    S&W Model 15 snub-nose- first CCW I ever carried while aircrew on helicopters
    1911-first .45 acp I owned while in USAF
    Ruger Security Six- went through Police Academy with
    Glock 17- First striker fired gun I carried as a cop
    Shield 9mm- been a primary carry gun since retiring
    Sig P-365 is quickly replacing the Shield which I still really like

* I couldn't decide which (2) to delete to equal (5) choices
    hrfunk, Bigsteve113 and URIT like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    For what period?
    Any period you like.

Howard

1911 (military sidearm)
    S&W Model 1917
    S&W Model 10
    S&W Model 13
    High Standard 22 semiauto
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

1) The flintlock (can be carried ready to fire)
    2)The Colt-Paterson Revolver (first true repeating firearm)
    3) Browning M1900 (the locked breech action pioneered by Browning is now the most common pistol action in the world)
    4) CZ 75 (perhaps the pinnacle of DA/SA designs)
    5) Glock (lightweight polymer on a successful scale)
    OD* likes this.
    Velocity is temporary, mass is forever...

I've only owned handguns since I started carrying in '16 and have just four.

Citadel 1911 OP
    Glock 20SF
    Dan Wesson Model 15-2 revolver
    H&K USP Tactical

I have tried others at the LGR's in Ohio and N.C. From those occasions I enjoyed shooting:
    Glock 19
    S&W Shield 2.0 9mm
    Sig P226 (I think that was the model).

Everything else I've tried was underwhelming.

Of all those, the most influential to me is still the 1911 platform, followed closely by K frame revolvers.
    hrfunk and OD* like this.
    "Learn to work the saxophone, and I play just what I feel,
    drink scotch whiskey all night long, and die behind the wheel ...
    "

Steely Dan / Deacon Blues

For myself, the first two informed me of what didn’t work for me:

1. Beretta M9 - first handgun I ever shot, in the Army. Did well with it, but hated the DA/SA transition...so I did what most do, and cocked the hammer. In the years since I noted that most who shoot a DA/SA pistol either cock the hammer, or never de-cock it when they insert a mag, so they hardly ever practice using the DA trigger...which contributes to poor accuracy on the first shot when used “for real.” This informed my preference for handguns with consistent triggers.

2. Kahr P9 - my first civilian handgun. Bought on the recommendation of the gun store owner, who had a relationship with Kahr. Mine was an early one, and jammed constantly. Finally got a refund when it jammed for one of the gun store owners too, who had of course blamed me for the issues. Sent back to Kahr, found out the polymer frame had too much flex. This taught me the importance of reliability.

The next three informed me of what did work for me:

3. Next was my first Ruger SP101 snub, which replaced the P9. Accurate, powerful, and utterly reliable. I ended up selling it when money was tight. Later replaced by my current DAO version.

4. Wanting more capacity, I got a Glock 19 gen 3, which I still have and will never part with. Accurate, powerful enough, almost as reliable as a revolver, inexpensive ammunition, etc. A Glock 26 and 30 followed. Still have all three.

5. Ruger LCP - easily my most carried pistols. I carry a pair most days, and my wife has one as well. After a rocky start (ours are all early gen 1s) they proved reliable, and Ruger service has been outstanding when needed. They allow me to be well armed when I otherwise wouldn’t be. They are also surprisingly accurate, as proven in a low light class I took with one. With two special needs kids, having my sidearms in my pockets rather than on my belt also has other advantages, like keeping them from banging their heads into the guns.
    hrfunk likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Ruger Super Single Six- first single action I owned
    S&W Model 15 snub-nose- first CCW I ever carried while aircrew on helicopters
    1911-first .45 acp I owned while in USAF
    Ruger Security Six- went through Police Academy with
    Glock 17- First striker fired gun I carried as a cop
    Shield 9mm- been a primary carry gun since retiring
    Sig P-365 is quickly replacing the Shield which I still really like

* I couldn't decide which (2) to delete to equal (5) choices
    IKR !!! I recently got a Springfield Hellcat. It’s better than my old Shield 9mm in so many ways. Smaller, lighter, more accurate, better sights, higher capacity........ but still, I can’t leave my beloved Shield for it just yet for some reason !!!!!
    5lima30ret and hrfunk like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

My Top 5 Most Influential Handguns...

Colt Junior .25ACP (1st auto and pocket carry gun. The reason I hate pocket carry 50 years later.)
    S&W Model 19-4 Nickel .357 combat magnum (My 2nd duty weapon which I carried the last 24 years of service.)
    Colt Detective Special .38 Special Nickel (My BUG and off-duty gun for a quarter-century.)
    Walther PPS40 (1st semiauto CCW)
    S&W Model 4054 (This gun turned me on to the S&W single stack, double action only handguns)
    5lima30ret and hrfunk like this.

( in no particular order )
    Berreta 70S in .380 This was my first handgun and was nice little sleek natural pointer. I got it from family and passed it down to family.
    S&W J frames in 38 flavor. My 1st was a nickeled 36-1 and I've had several other variants since then.
    Ruger Standard This was my first plinking/small game pistol and the last one I ever needed.
    Colt 1911 I wanted a piece of history and since getting one, I totally understood why so many have loved the platform.
    Glocks It took me a while to get over how butt ugly they are, but when I finally got one, it grew on me... a lot! They work well and are as dependable as a brick.
    Henry9008 and hrfunk like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links