Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns - Page 4

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

This is a discussion on Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CDW4ME Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    For me?
    Blackpowder revolvers changed the world.
    The peacemaker or variation thereof
    1911 and the Hipower
    the Glock for starting the revolution
    ..and ...you guys are gonna laugh, but The grendel P-10...which became the Kel tec P3AT which became the Ruger LCP etc. etc etc....That weird little grendel p-10 and p-12 were something new ( we sold em) and they started ALL the small stuff , and EVERYONE owns at least one tiny pocket pistol of some type.
    5lima30ret and hrfunk like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Colt 1911
    Browning Hi Power
    Colt Peacemaker
    Beretta 92
    Glock 17
    5lima30ret and Wavygravy like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    S&W M65
    Colt 1911
    Glock 19
    Glock 36
    S&W M60

In no particular order.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

VIP Member
    Great thread, Howard! A little tough to prune the list down to five, but here goes, with the approximate year I was first "influenced")...

Llama Model IIIA .380 (1975) - My very first pistol, and "influential" in several ways. "Influential" does not necessarily have to be a good thing! Taught me that a single-action semi-auto is a very poor choice for a first handgun for a newbie. (Those who push Sig 238's and 938's on newbies, take heed!) Taught me that I don't want to depend upon a cheap semi-auto if my life depends on it. Taught me that Llama's are crap. Taught me that hearing protection is important!

Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP (1977) - My first 1911, and my first Colt (I think. I might have bought the Detective Special first, but don't remember for sure). Planted the seed for a lifelong appreciation of Colts, and 1911's (though I didn't actually get my second 1911 for many years).

Dan Wesson M44 (1981) - My first Dan Wesson, and my first .44 Magnum. Ultimately created a DW fanatic, for both their revolvers and their 1911's, and a hardcore .44 Mag enthusiast!

S&W M&P's (2010) - Since you saw fit to generalize about the older S&W semi-auto's, I'll do the same with the M&P's! The Shield, and the M&P 9C convinced me that the plastic fantastics had actually surpassed old-school 'walnut & steel' as the optimum CCW's.

Dan Wesson ECO (2017) - The compact 1911 that's got me rethinking the plastic fantastics for a CCW. I am in awe of the ECO. Maybe my favorite pistol of all time!

YMMV!
    Henry9008 and hrfunk like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I really can't say as it varies, sometimes from day to day.
    But among them are.
    Uberti Cattleman 1873 in 45 Colt
    Beretta Tomcat in 32acp
    Ruger Vaquero in 44 mag
    Sig P938
    S&W 686 in 357 mag
    hrfunk and msgt/ret like this.

Walther PPK
    HK P7
    Beretta 92FS
    Ed Brown 1911
    Glock 17
    hrfunk likes this.

Senior Moderator
    For me, I had an ex who thought handguns were murder weapons, but a Beeman P1 .177 cal air pistol in the basement for about 3 years got me started on the fundamentals of sight alignment and trigger pull and was deemed tolerable by the ex. I put over 20,000 rounds through that gun, and with only one shot before needing to reload it drove home the need to make that one shot count - as I suspect Howard's black powder pistol did for him.

Rimfire and centerfire handguns trickled in over the years, but by far the most influential was a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in .45 ACP. This was my 40th birthday gift to myself, and my first centerfire handgun. In the vein of "beware the man with one gun," I got to be fairly proficient with it as it was my only defensive sidearm for a few years and was used for training, recreation, competition and of course carried for defense. Others have joined it in the safe with more fancy stuff, but this piece loaded with 230 gr ball as Saint John intended is a reliable piece I'd trust my life to, so it gets the nod as the most influential handgun in my life.
    Tundra5.7, OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Wow! This has all been a joy to read, and it's probably the best antidote for "social-distancing" I can think of. The firearms and stories related to them have been wonderful. Keep them coming!

Howard

VIP Member
    Most influential:

Colt Peacemaker (SAA)
    Colt 1911
    Browning Hi-Power
    Beretta 92
    Sadly - Glock
    Wavygravy, hrfunk and OD* like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Daisy Red Rider BB gun is by far the most influential but its a rifle
    so you have to go with the cowboy style 45 SA revolver
    hrfunk likes this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Most influential:

Colt Peacemaker (SAA)
    Colt 1911
    Browning Hi-Power
    Beretta 92
    Sadly - Glock
    For "most influential pistols of all time," not necessarily the ones I've grown up on, I'll go with @high pockets list, except I'd replace the Browning Hi-Power with the flintlock pistol and add the German Luger 9mm.
    So my list would be:

Flintlock pistol
    Colt Peacemaker (SAA)
    Colt 1911
    Luger 9mm
    Beretta 92
    Sadly - Glock
    hrfunk and OD* like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I figure if I'm going to reply, there should be a bit of a story with each gun.

Colt Police Positive Special: My father bought this revolver for almost nothing back in the 80s. Since my parents were divorced, he gave it to me in my early teens to protect the family if necessary.

This revolver almost deserves two positions on the list, because 30 years later, after carrying an auto for many years, I broke out the Colt only to realize I shoot it better than the semis I have been practicing on for many years, which restarted my relationship with revolvers in general and led to me buying a bunch of S&W revolvers.

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-colt-pps.jpg

Browning's 1911: Some of my earliest recollections of firearms in movies are of the 1911. Fro some reason my most prominent 1911 memory is from the 1951 version of "The Thing". When he was about to open the door to confront this alien creature, he pulls out his 1911 and cocks it, which stuck with me for some strange reason. Not long after, I found a all-metal 1911 mock-up at a garage sale, and it became my favorite toy for the rest of my childhood. Fortunately, I never got shot while playing with it, because it looks quite real from a distance!

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-toy-1911-2.jpg

SIG P380: This one is what truly got me carrying a gun. I had long toted my (real) 1911 on road trips, but even after I got my CCL I didn't carry a gun on my person. Then about 10 years ago I stumbled onto the P238, and it lived in my pocket most of the time for the next 5 years. It was displaced by a S&W 637 after my rediscovery of revolvers, and lately my pocket gun is a Kimber K6S.

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-sig-p238.jpg

S&W Model 29-10: I got this a few years back, and it has since become my favorite gun. It was used and the owner had run about 10000 rounds of 44 SPL thru it, so the trigger is like glass. I have since shot another ~2000 rounds of light magnums thru it. I go thru phases where I carry it or the 3" M629 I got later. This is the gun that started me reloading, and I now reload the vast majority of the rounds I shoot in many different calibers. I recently got a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, and I will never shoot a factory loaded round thru it, which is only possible because I bought that M29.

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-m29-3.jpg

Browning's Hi Power: Since I started carrying full time, I have almost always carried a revolver. But after the attacks on US servicemen a few years back and some of mass shootings, I felt like more capacity might be a good idea. I bought a well-used Hi Power literally a couple of days before Browning/FN ceased production and prices skyrocketed. This gun has proven to be flawless and I shoot it better than any auto I own. I carried it almost exclusively for a couple of years. These days this is the gun I carry when I'm feeling more paranoid than usual or going to the movies, but lately I'm back to carrying my M629 most of the time.

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-20190103_001339.jpg
    hrfunk, demanic, OD* and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    ...Browning's 1911: Some of my earliest recollections of firearms in movies are of the 1911. Fro some reason my most prominent 1911 memory is from the 1951 version of "The Thing". When he was about to open the door to confront this alien creature, he pulls out his 1911 and cocks it, which stuck with me for some strange reason. Not long after, I found a all-metal 1911 mock-up at a garage sale, and it became my favorite toy for the rest of my childhood. Fortunately, I never got shot while playing with it, because it looks quite real from a distance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toy 1911 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	319088...
    Hey, I had one of those, too!
    Solid cast aluminum, if my memory still works. Painted "gunmetal" color.
    They were available via mail-order, even in New York City.
    Mine got lots of play-time.

There was a .32 revolver replica, too.
    It was just like the real one that our beat-cop carried.
    drmordo, OD* and Tstone like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

OD*
    Senior Moderator

That is an absolutely excellent copy of an M1911

I've never seen one done that well before! That's better than Colt did their Repros back in 2003.

Your Top 5 Most Influential Handguns-cast-toy-m1911.jpg
    Tstone and drmordo like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links