Ear protection - Page 2

Ear protection

This is a discussion on Ear protection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I suggest looking at industrial supply dealers, either locally on on-line. You will find any number of choices, all OSHA-approved with proven sound-reduction capabilities for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ear protection

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    I suggest looking at industrial supply dealers, either locally on on-line. You will find any number of choices, all OSHA-approved with proven sound-reduction capabilities for use by workers in noisy environments. You will also recognize some of them as being identical to products marketed by big-name firearms outfits, the only differences being embedded marketing logos, packaging, and a big difference in cost.

At one time I seriously considered purchasing in volume from a manufacturer and reselling on my holster business website. The price differences are truly astronomical! I never went that far, but I did order several hundred excellent quality OSHA-approved ear plugs for less than $2 per set, identical to the ones offered by a big-name firearms company for ~$15 retail, and gave them away as a business promotional item. There are similar price differences between brand-name ear muff-style and identical products sold to business and industrial users ($12 to $20 vs. $60 to $100). There are also single-use disposables that are sold by shooting supply companies for ~$5, but can be purchased by the box for less than $1 per set (I carry a box of those in my range bag and frequently give them away to others).

Shooting supply catalogs and websites for shooting supplies, industrial supply houses for hearing protection (and eye protection; couple of bucks for OSHA-approved gear instead of ~$10 or more for the same thing at a sporting goods dealer).

You're welcome!
    10thmtn and Gunwale like this.

I bought an electronic headset from Harbor Freight for about $15 on sale. It works very well by itself but can be a bit bulky for rifle. I augment it with foam ear plugs and can still hear the range officer speak.

https://www.harborfreight.com/noise-...ffs-92851.html
    Oklahoma1911 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Howard Leight Impact Pro. Great for handguns indoors, double up with foam plugs if desired.
    That's what I use, but with SureFire EP3 inside them.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    PSA: If you use the battery operated muffs, such as, Howard Leight, etc; and if you use them on an infrequent basis, i.e. once/month or less, remove the batteries and store them within the muffs while not in use. This will preserve the batteries just in case the ON/OFF switch is left in the ON position. Also, batteries tend to "leak" if they're not used for an extended period of time.
    OldChap, sdprof and Rockymonster like this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life Member

Ear plugs for rifle (better cheek weld on the stock), over the ear muffs for pistol. I just go by the noise reduction rating.

One thing to bear in mind is that I’ve seen some shooting glasses interfere with the proper fit of the over the ear muffs. Just something to be aware of...best to actually try them out if possible, while wearing your glasses.

Only time I’ve ever wanted to double up and use both is when the yahoos turn up at the range with their short barrel AR “pistols” to make a lot of noise while not hitting anything...
    kmckinnon likes this.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Nope. I double up in my hearing protection at an indie range. You can’t get your hearing back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Normally when a couple dozen members have already written the same thing, I don't add another post. But truly it can not be stressed enough: WEAR DOUBLE HEARING PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING INDOORS!

And if you already have some hearing loss (as I do) it is even more important to wear the best protection you can get, to save what little hearing you have left. I repeat: Indoors: foam ear plugs in the ears and electronic muffs over the ears/head!
    Rockymonster and dawei like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is that I’ve seen some shooting glasses interfere with the proper fit of the over the ear muffs. Just something to be aware of...best to actually try them out if possible, while wearing your glasses.
    There's an outfit that sells gel pads especially to handle that problem, they're designed for the HL Impact Sport, but have adapters for other brands.
    https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I worked 30 years in a steel mill meltshop and the yellow plugs worked great and no major loss in hearing (don't let the wife know). I prefer those over the muffs. the DB range is better than advertised.
    PEF and ShooterGranny like this.
    “Let your soul shine. It's better than sunshine, It's better than moonshine
    and it’s Damn sure better than rain” …… Warren Haynes

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    I don't recall the last time I used an indoor range.

I agree with the advice being given about doubling up with hearing protection when using an indoor range. The last time I used an range I was using my standard pair of muffs when someone came in and RO announced that someone was shooting a magnum. I did not understand at that point, but learned quickly, as the why of the announcement. A magnum round going off indoors can be very loud. Depending on how the range is built, basically how well it absorbs sound, determines how much sound dampening occurs. With the physics of sound, being indoors will always amplify the sound more than being outdoors.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mck1975 View Post
    I worked 30 years in a steel mill meltshop and the yellow plugs worked great and no major loss in hearing (don't let the wife know). I prefer those over the muffs. the DB range is better than advertised.
    Ha! That was a good one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    At the rifle range MCRD Parris Island 1964 qualification hearing protection (Cotton-Balls) inserted in ones ears. Not exactly state of the art even then. Today MSA as opposed to hearing protection from other suppliers there is reason why MSA is $$$ because they are better than $$ units.

The few times I have gone to an indoor range I use an electronic muff over foam plugs. when standing next to a cement wall, the echo can confuse the electronics and sometimes not compress the sound! In that case the foam plugs will protect you. I turn the volume up on the electronics so I can hear what is going on behind me but still have that protection. Good luck. DR

Quote Originally Posted by kilted cowboy View Post
    yes do not go cheap.
    The '70s and ,80s and bartending at bars with live entertainment did me in with a wicked case of tinnitus.
    I use noise cancelling headgear and sometimes double up with foam plugs.
    i don't have any tinnitus, just the occasional ringing.

I have several pairs of cheapo generic muffs that work fine outdoors but indoors, yes definitely double up. Indoor shooting will melt your bones, especially your ear bones.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Normally when a couple dozen members have already written the same thing, I don't add another post. But truly it can not be stressed enough: WEAR DOUBLE HEARING PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING INDOORS!

And if you already have some hearing loss (as I do) it is even more important to wear the best protection you can get, to save what little hearing you have left. I repeat: Indoors: foam ear plugs in the ears and electronic muffs over the ears/head!
    Worth repeating. I did EMS for years. Sat under sirens for years. Decades later when I was in my early 50’s the hearing loss showed up. You may think you’re fine because the affects don’t show up for a very long time. You’ll want to hear later in life.
    ShooterGranny and Tundra5.7 like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links