New found respect for guns I love to hate

This is a discussion on New found respect for guns I love to hate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 1911? No, that is a gun I really like. Like the feel, like the looks and like the history. Nothing looks better dressed in ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: New found respect for guns I love to hate

The 1911? No, that is a gun I really like. Like the feel, like the looks and like the history. Nothing looks better dressed in leather. Carries nicely and shoots even better.

I just replaced it with a Glock 21sf.

Yep, I did that. Ugly,blocky and PLASTIC!!! Weird spongy trigger, 2x4 slide, what am I forgetting here?
    Damned near deserve a Maggie for admitting that in public I know.

Here's the thing or more correctly MY thing. I prefer metal and wood but, not for self defense. For self defense I want simple,reliable and practical. I want a gun that grips easy and cushions recoil. By simple I mean point and pull trigger...nothing else. No safeties, no decockers. Not because those things are bad but, I am an old revolver dog and point and pull is what I want when my brain fog gets thick and heavy.
    If I grew up with those lever things I would probably feel differently.

I can detail clean the Glock in 10 minutes or less. Much faster than the 1911 or even my beloved wheel guns. I can buy brand new OEM mags for under 20 bucks vs the 38 dollar Wilsons. Every single aftermarket thing you could ever want is plentiful and inexpensive.
    I can run the gun with one hand and I could not on the 1911 because it took two hands to release the slide.

I envy you folks who defend you and yours with fine pieces of design and history but, a man needs to know his limitations.
    I have always disliked plastic guns for their feel and looks and I have always preferred hammers over strikers in trigger feel.
    Its just not about what I like or prefer any longer its about what works best for me as a self defense tool, simple as that. Nobody is going to say "Yeah, he got killed because he forgot his safety but, he looked good doing it. Did you see his hand tooled leather and ivory grips?".

So, both my semi autos are now striker fired plastic. They are easy to carry, easy to shoot and drop dead reliable. They are not photogenic and they do not inspire desire.
    Besides I still have a stable of wheelguns that get used a lot although all wear rubber stocks for positive draws and positive grip when wet or sweaty.

Can't remember the last time I washed my truck but, it gets its oil changed and tires rotated like clockwork. Windows are always clean as are all the lights. Safety and function are my concerns.
    I take care of what needs taking care of so it can do its job and not much else. I love classic vehicles but, not enough to worry about dents and dings and paint chips on some restored beauty. I can still appreciate the classics from afar but, I wouldn't trade my F150 for one.
    I guess I am getting that way with my guns as well.

Thank God some of you feel differently or we would not have all those pictures of those beautiful preserved firearms so, thank you for that.

For most of my carry duties, I’m an all metal guy. Just can’t get that ‘connection’ with the plastic strikers that ultimately leads to trust after lots of practice.

That being said, a Glock has a prominent role in my carry stable. It goes to environments that I can’t subject my metal framed guns to. And it does so very well.

Like them or not, they’re great guns and very serviceable. The only difference is personal taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pete63, Militant, Tstone and 6 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

For some strange reason, I just love that picture.
    380ACP and OldChap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Glock = The rough looking brunette that cooks. And cleans. And does a half dozen other things extremely well.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I am really looking forward to next week, and learning that weeks favorite.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    The 1911? No, that is a gun I really like. Like the feel, like the looks and like the history. Nothing looks better dressed in leather. Carries nicely and shoots even better.

I just replaced it with a Glock 21sf.

Yep, I did that. Ugly,blocky and PLASTIC!!! Weird spongy trigger, 2x4 slide, what am I forgetting here?
    Damned near deserve a Maggie for admitting that in public I know.

Here's the thing or more correctly MY thing. I prefer metal and wood but, not for self defense. For self defense I want simple,reliable and practical. I want a gun that grips easy and cushions recoil. By simple I mean point and pull trigger...nothing else. No safeties, no decockers. Not because those things are bad but, I am an old revolver dog and point and pull is what I want when my brain fog gets thick and heavy.
    If I grew up with those lever things I would probably feel differently.

I can detail clean the Glock in 10 minutes or less. Much faster than the 1911 or even my beloved wheel guns. I can buy brand new OEM mags for under 20 bucks vs the 38 dollar Wilsons. Every single aftermarket thing you could ever want is plentiful and inexpensive.
    I can run the gun with one hand and I could not on the 1911 because it took two hands to release the slide.

I envy you folks who defend you and yours with fine pieces of design and history but, a man needs to know his limitations.
    I have always disliked plastic guns for their feel and looks and I have always preferred hammers over strikers in trigger feel.
    Its just not about what I like or prefer any longer its about what works best for me as a self defense tool, simple as that. Nobody is going to say "Yeah, he got killed because he forgot his safety but, he looked good doing it. Did you see his hand tooled leather and ivory grips?".

So, both my semi autos are now striker fired plastic. They are easy to carry, easy to shoot and drop dead reliable. They are not photogenic and they do not inspire desire.
    Besides I still have a stable of wheelguns that get used a lot although all wear rubber stocks for positive draws and positive grip when wet or sweaty.

Can't remember the last time I washed my truck but, it gets its oil changed and tires rotated like clockwork. Windows are always clean as are all the lights. Safety and function are my concerns.
    I take care of what needs taking care of so it can do its job and not much else. I love classic vehicles but, not enough to worry about dents and dings and paint chips on some restored beauty. I can still appreciate the classics from afar but, I wouldn't trade my F150 for one.
    I guess I am getting that way with my guns as well.

Thank God some of you feel differently or we would not have all those pictures of those beautiful preserved firearms so, thank you for that.

I generally lay off the caffeine around 10:00 am. Otherwise, I tend to just go on and on.
    msgt/ret, OD*, G-man* and 11 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I am really looking forward to next week, and learning that weeks favorite.
    Thread winner right there lol.
    OD*, Bad Bob and bmcgilvray like this.

Bless you Chris; you are going to the top of my prayer list
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I have had 2 Glocks, that was years back and both of them failed but Glock did give me my money back and I appreciated that very much. Yes I like and shoot 1911s and I carry one in rotation but I am a wheel gun fan and the ones I would love to have back would be my 41mags with 3in barrel on both and I also carried one of them off duty. I was required to carry a model 19 while on duty in a Sam Brown rig which was excellent but my 41s were my pride and joy and I took a elk down in the 60s and yes I would trade my 1911 in as the OP said they clean easy, for me they were a comfortable carry and absolutely super accurate and they never failed to fire and while on dut one was in my brief case and one in my shoulder holster.
    Tstone, msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.

Sorry- For carry, I either want a full-stroke DA trigger or a SA trigger, not something stuck in intermediate never-never land.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    Glock = The rough looking brunette that cooks. And cleans. And does a half dozen other things extremely well.

It's not the cooking that hooked me :)
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post

Most of the polymer wonders from reputable manufacturers fit that bill. The only thing Glock really has on the competition nowadays is aftermarket support and it's easy to fully take apart... Even still, thevSig P320 and Beretta APX are just as simple to fully break down. It has it's pros and cons compared to the competition just like everything else.

I'm kind of right there with @380ACP . I love and prefer steal framed guns... They tend to hold their value longer, look nicer, and have character. I see the polymer wonders as being like a reliable beater car that you depend on during the long commute to work. You don't mind putting miles on it, getting chips in the paint from flying rocks on the highway, or it looking well used. I see 1911s, CZs, stainless or blued revolvers, etc as being the nice luxury car or sports car that you want to show off and you take pride in owning.

Forester, you are so right......when 1911's went to aluminum frames it took me 20 years to accept them. When Glock came out with their weapons I was totally disenchanted with them and called them "Tupperware" pistols. I have changed my mind precisely for all the reasons you have mentioned. Love the 21, 30, 36, and 44. They are not the prettiest guns on the market but they work, dependable, easy to use, and easy to maintain.

If for some strange reason I had a glock and needed it to defend myself I could take care of business with it but after that I would promptly sell it.

Forester58, you win today's DC Best Quote award!

Nobody is going to say "Yeah, he got killed because he forgot his safety but, he looked good doing it. Did you see his hand tooled leather and ivory grips?".
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links