Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?

This is a discussion on Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having trouble coming up with a concise way of asking this, but do you have any carry guns that, while you justify having them ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?

I'm having trouble coming up with a concise way of asking this, but do you have any carry guns that, while you justify having them on some level, deep down you know you should probably do without?

Maybe the money would be better spent on something else (unrelated to firearms), or perhaps you justify it to yourself but you might be a little concerned if you had to seriously explain it to your wife.

If you do please share. It can be funny, pathetic, or maybe you feel these redundant firearms are completely justified but you wouldn't necessarily want to have to explain them to your better half in much detail.

I promise, your wife won't find out, but if she does, just bring up her boots or purses and settle into some kind of detente. Pictures are always welcome.
    "Never, no never, did Nature say one thing, and wisdom say another." Edmund Burke

VIP Member
    I never need to justify any firearm purchase I make.
    As for the wife, we have a rule. If it costs more than 200.00 we discuss the purchase. Not if it is a wise purchase, just if it is a good idea to spend the money now or wait a bit.
    My wife is not a shooter, but she appreciates my "hobby". Many of her friends husbands still go out to the gentleman's clubs. I spend my money more wisely.
    My advice to the young, unmarried guys here is choose your mate carefully, it will save you a lot of explaining in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    As for the wife, we have a rule. If it costs more than 200.00 we discuss the purchase. Not if it is a wise purchase, just if it is a good idea to spend the money now or wait a bit.

My wife is not a shooter, but she appreciates my "hobby".

My advice to the young, unmarried guys here is choose your mate carefully, it will save you a lot of explaining in the future.
    Same here on buying a gun and we discuss every purchase over $200 even if it is something else needed she let's me know and I let her know before we spend. I handle the finances in the house and she knows that we have the extra if I'm eyeballing another gun, if we don't have the extra money she also knows that I will wheel n deal to get so it doesn't come out of savings or our budget.

And that second bit of advice is truly priceless. My wife knew I was a gun nut before we got married (8 years ago) and she brought 6 guns of her own to our house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My wife of 30 years has been supportive of firearm purchases, I chose wisely.
    Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?-shooting.jpg
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Moderator
    Why are we feeling required to justify them? Do we necessarily know deep down that we should do without? Who decrees that we have a need to feel this way?

Where does this this need for justification end? There are too many guns in the safe. There are too many shoes and purses in the closet. There are too many socks in the drawer. There is too much food on the dinner table. There are too many vehicles in the driveway. There is even too much money in the bank!

Think about it.

We are adults who appreciate that we are blessed and we gratefully enjoy our blessings.

Sounds like someone is married to a overbearing yet childish spouse to me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Why are we feeling required to justify them? Do we necessarily know deep down that we should do without? Who decrees that we have a need to feel this way?

Where does this this need for justification end? There are too many guns in the safe. There are too many shoes and purses in the closet. There are too many socks in the drawer. There is too much food on the dinner table. There are too many vehicles in the driveway. There is even too much money in the bank!

Think about it.

We are adults who appreciate that we are blessed and we gratefully enjoy our blessings.

Sounds like someone is married to a overbearing yet childish spouse to me.
    'Merica. The land of abundance. Work hard, play hard.

My wife is not a shooter, but she appreciates my "hobby". Many of her friends husbands still go out to the gentleman's clubs. I spend my money more wisely.
    Very similar to what my wife and I do. We discuss any single purchase over $250. Not that either of us is asking the other for permission, it is just something we agreed on years ago and has worked well over the years.

Boy you can't beat any of that, brother.

Besides, I have to justify the socks I wear every day to Mrs OldChap. I figure having to explain a new gun purchase is better than having to explain a new girlfriend!!!

@bmcgilvray
    ...There is too much food on the dinner table....
    Well my, my, my...I thought I was the only one who questioned why we need enough food for 50 on the table at Thanksgiving when we only have 15 to feed.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by liberty1 View Post
    but do you have any carry guns that, while you justify having them on some level, deep down you know you should probably do without?
    No, I've bought and sold/traded lots of guns over the last 35 years and this has never been a problem. But then, during the 90s, my wife was actually buying and selling more guns than I was.

I can say the same for ammo expenditure and training expenses over the years. Life is too short to not buy what you really want. (With some exceptions of course, or are there really any exceptions )
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

My wife questioned why I was buying this or that gun till we were injured in a car accident and had no income for a couple months. That's when she realized that guns were untapped cash reserves!

Now as long as I'm not taking money out of the household budget, She's OK with it! DR

My wife has her Oregon Concealed Handgun License. She carries and is a shooter. When she sees gun grabbers on television, she turns to me and says, "Go buy more guns and ammo." She is currently upset that I haven't bought the James Arness - Gunsmoke commemorative six-shooter at the LGS.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

For the LOVE OF GUNSMOKE go get that dang 6 shooter LC!!!!!!!!

Senior Moderator
    I have two or three of some gun. Exact duplicates.

My DW always ask's "Shouldn't we have two?" and "Don't I need one too?"
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by bill35738 View Post
    For the LOVE OF GUNSMOKE go get that dang 6 shooter LC!!!!!!!!

We have a house rule that we have one large gun safe for our guns. A second safe would lead to a third, fourth, and fifth and then I would have to park the Corvette outside. If I buy something, I have to sell something to make room for it. That Gunsmoke commemorative with display box takes up a lot of room.

We have the Audie Murphy Colt 1911 tribute, the Nez Perce Chief Joseph Colt SAA tribute, and the Elvis Presley gold plated Uberti tribute.

Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?-audie-murphy-case.jpg
    Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?-chief-joseph-colt-saa.jpg
    Gunshow- No spouses allowed: Quirky gun needs or justifications?-uberti.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I guess I'm just a little more fluid in my approach to gun ownership.

I don't feel a need to justify any. I do have some that I don't carry and shoot infrequently, but I have them because I see my collection as exactly that - a collection. I don't feel like it's a hobby, I have guns that I carry for protection and others that are staged or marshaled in the event they're needed. And some that I own are used for neither of those purposes. I don't have a large collection by any means but the ones I have are ones that I bought or otherwise acquired are ones that I have because I want them.

So ..... I just don't feel a need to "justify" anything. I just have the guns I have and don't have ones that I don't want.
    Retired USAF
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links