Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up? - Page 3

Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up?

This is a discussion on Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My “ Black” rifles are pretty mundane. They are Colts and Bushmasters, they have iron sights, and are fairly uninteresting. I fired them a round ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree503Likes

Thread: Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up?

My “ Black” rifles are pretty mundane. They are Colts and Bushmasters, they have iron sights, and are fairly uninteresting. I fired them a round or two this year just to check the zero, and back to the darker recesses of the safe.

My real rifles, a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, and 94 Winchester 30-30 lead much happier lives around here, and eat much better.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I have several. My intent has been to have enough long guns, should things go sour, for family members to use. 200+ yard shots locally? Not likely. I've stocked up on Colt 6920s, each with a quality scope. I do wish my eye sight was better to use iron sights.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Sam Adams

My AR has a 16 BBL with a Mid length gas system and a blast forwarder. A light full length rail and a 30mm Primary Arms LPV scope. Anvil Arms BCG. Polished MILSPC trigger with extra power hammer spring. I have the SOPMOD stock on, while heavier it can be used to smash stuff. A two pint quick adjust Magpul sling and a Magpul mod 2 grip.

Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-img_20180124_114900011.jpg

My AR 40 pistol has a Shockwave blade, 8'5" BBL Magpul mod 2 grip and a VTAC sling. I am running a 2.5 X Weaver with the post reticle.

Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-img_20190507_202144796.jpg

Experience? US Army, Federal LE, where I carried, used and trained with an M-16 and M-4. I shoot my rifles competitively.

EDIT: Old pics
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    My “ Black” rifles are pretty mundane. They are Colts and Bushmasters, they have iron sights, and are fairly uninteresting. I fired them a round or two this year just to check the zero, and back to the darker recesses of the safe.

My real rifles, a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, and 94 Winchester 30-30 lead much happier lives around here, and eat much better.
    I remember when I was in your parts your AR used to roll into your protection/security job at night.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I remember when I was in your parts your AR used to roll into your protection/security job at night.
    Yep. It was a comfort to have on board. Now that I’m out that line of work, they are still a comfort to have around in case things in this country go way south. Both Belinda and I can arm up appropriately in that scenario.

My trunk gun is an old sporterized O3A3 Smith-Corona in 30-06. I figure that will leave a mark:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    My go-to defensive long gun is identical to the the one I carried on duty at the PD. It is an early model Bushmaster (made in Windham, ME) with carry handle sight 14.5" bbl w/ pinned "Izzy" muzzle brake that was purchased on Department letterhead. I like the KISS principle! I also have a factory Stag Arms AR-9 w/ Diamond head sights that would work just as well although it is a bit heavier and longer.
    Attachment 327244
    Windham Weaponry now builds at the same facilities! Just down the road. 👍🏻👍🏻

Windhamweaponry

Edited to Add:

When the people who bought Bushmaster in 2006 decided to move it “lock, stock and barrel” out of Maine to New York in 2011, the original Bushmaster owner, Mr. Richard Dyke was left with both a dilemma and an opportunity. Almost to the day of the 2011 move, Mr. Dyke’s non-compete clause expired. He still owned the property where Bushmaster had been built, and knew all the workers – now laid off – who had helped him build it. He made a decision to “get back in the game” and promptly put an email out to many of his former employees and friends asking if there was interest in joining him for a new project.

With a resounding “yes” of support, he gathered the financing in two days, and started bringing people back into their long-time Windham manufacturing home. Phoenix-like, Windham Weaponry was on the rise. Within three months, the first productions models of the new Windham Weaponry line had been perfected and delivered. Quality, fit, finish, durability, accuracy and value were all superb – giving credence to Windham Weaponry’s motto “The Quality Goes In, Before The Rifle Goes Out”.
    I believe it is a great American story. Dyke is a legend up here, and is super supportive of the 2A. He has donated and given to the Gun Owners of Maine with regularity.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 22nd, 2020 at 12:09 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I like to have options.
    12 GA Winchester 97 loaded with #4 buck
    Beyond that, I'd probably consider the Mini-14 as the go to long gun, outfitted with a 3-9x32 scout scope.
    If I need to go longer, I'd probably pick either the Winchester Model 70 (Leupold 3x9) or the Noreen (semiauto w/ vortex Viper 6.5-20x50) in .30-06

There are other options if stuff gets real, assorted lever guns, bolt guns, and a few more semi-autos and smoothbores. Some would consider us 'moderately well prepared', but I'd consider myself in the rookie/starter category.
    matthew03, OD*, Rexster and 3 others like this.

308 Remington Bushmaster with a Weaver K4 and a green laser, single point sling.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My go-to defensive long guns are shotguns, and have been, for some time. The current ones are a Benelli M2 Field, on which I installed an 18.5” Tactical barrel, with the nicely bold, black rifle sights that my aging eyes appreciate, and a Benelli Tactical, with the ghost ring sight set-up, which may soon start wearing a red-dot optic, as it is D&T’ed for a rail. The former was my duty shotgun, in the twilight of my LE career, and the latter acquired after I retired.

I was using a Remington 870P, for police duty and defense, before I bought my first Benelli M2. It now has a Pachmayr Vindicator grip, as my pumping arm has not aged well, and I started losing my rhythm.

In the past, I used other Remington 870 pumps, a Benelli M1 Super 90, an S&W 3000, which is an 870 near-clone, and an Ithaca 37 DS Police Special.

I was never a big fan of the M16/AR15 platform, but did buy a Colt AR15 Govt Carbine, with PD letterhead, in 2002, when my employer decided to re-start patrol rifles, after prohibiting them in 1983. The Colt was reliable, but my eyes were starting to need optics, for best result. That front sight started growing fur, and optics were not allowed, at that time. Plus, the rules on when we could uncase our patrol rifles were quite limiting, so I doubted I would ever have it in-hand, when I wanted a long gun. I worked straight nights, when a shotgun made more sense, most of the time. I sold the Colt to a younger colleague.

One of my academy classmates persuaded me that I should re-join the patrol rifle program, so I acquired a BCM “Light Middy,” but never got around to attending an update class, or shooting an official qual, so I never used it on duty. I use it to stay familiar with the platform, but it usually stays inside the safe, so I cannot really say it has ever been one one of my “defensive” long weapons. Had I moved to day or evening shift, I might well have re-certified and qual’ed.

For a short time, in the Eighties, before Texas had a handgun carry licensing system enacted, and before I was a peace officer, I had an Uzi Carbine, the now-very-collectible “Type A.” I would have used it, defensively, if necessary, and often brought it along, on road trips. I sold it, to help finance duty weapons, in the mid-Eighties.

I am revisiting the idea of a defense-dedicated rifle, recently. It may or may not be my BCM Lightweight Middy. Another candidate is a Winchester 94AE Trapper, which I need to live-fire with some more .45 Colt, to settle upon a load that is accurate, and which it likes feeding. Some of my/our past lever rifles., chambered for handgun cartridges, have been finicky feeders. We got away from 1892 clones, and bought his-and-hers 94AE Trappers.

Edited to add: I reckon it would be a good idea to have both a defensive autoloading rifle, and a defensive lever rifle, as some of the places we want to travel are not AR-friendly.

Experience: Houston PD, 1984-2018, mostly night shift patrol.

Rexster, hard to agree against a lever gun, it was the AR of it’s time and is still formidable a well as more acceptable in a lot of places.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Senior Moderator
    Still rocking the M1 Carbine and Winchester Model 1907 here.

Same ol' photos.

M1 Carbine with hiking companion Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel.

Winchester Model 1907 .351 Winchester with factory 10-round magazine installed.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Been thinking about this. My idea of long gun for defense has changed over the years as I gained knowlege and experience.
    At one time I had to have the latest golly-gee-wiz-bang artillery to make me feel adequately armed.

There are different long guns available depending on location around the farm.
    House:
    AR pistol 10.5" BCM side charge upper with a basic Anderson lower, Holosun 515 red dot and generic BUIS, NC-star weapon light.
    Currently loaded with Hornady 55gr SP because it is what I have on hand. If/when they become available, I plan to stoke it with 77gr TMK's. At the moment I only have enough to load one magazine. Just not willing to trust them until I can run enough through to verify function.
    16" ATI AR with a 4x Leapers LER, loaded with Hornady 55gr SP
    12g 18.5" Mossberg 500 with Federal classic 00 buck.
    Rossi Puma in 45 Colt and a Marlin 336Y in 30-30

Shop
    12g Mossberg 500 24" vent rib with Modified choke and usually stoked with #4 shot. Other loads available.
    Mini-14 loaded with Hornady 55gr V-MAX.
    Both are more apt to be needed for varmints than two legged deffense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-img_20200515_202733019_1589592733966.jpg  

Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-dscn1272.jpg  

Tstone, OD*, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member
    Does this Krag count? It was my grandfather's in the Spanish-American war, but still shoots....

Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

And I know this is going to cause some howls of protest, but in the event of needing to use a long gun outside, I am seriously looking at my Ruger 10/22 with the BX25 magazines. With the scope at low power, it is quick and accurate at middling ranges. My son and wife could easily use it, unlike my other options, due to the low recoil and relative quiet. And with homes in all directions, the .22LR may pose less risk. The Israelis use theirs for quelling violent riots and such...which is exactly the kind of situation that may cause a citizen here to reach for a long gun. The AR is not the answer to every scenario.
    I just put together a braced 10/22 Charger with iron sights. I'm planning on using it mainly for plinking but I like the idea of having it on hand for home defense with the BX-25 loaded with CCI Velocitors or Stingers. I live in the city and can just about touch the houses on either side of mine so I don't have a lot of area to protect. I have a 9mm Kel-tec Sub2000 that would also work well in this situation. I don't foresee any long distance gun battles in my future although today's unusual circumstances have me considering a rifle caliber lever gun
    OD* and airslot like this.

Here in the FL burbs I don't need "long-range" defense, so while I have a scope for my AR, I use the basic carry handle iron sights to keep it simple. Bare-bone AR, no extra frills to screw up under pressure.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links