Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up?

This is a discussion on Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tell the story of your defensive Long Rifle here, make and model, what parts do you prefer,(optics, bases, lights, mounts, stock/grips), how do you have ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree503Likes

Thread: Defensive Long Gun: How are the DC members setting them up?

Tell the story of your defensive Long Rifle here, make and model, what parts do you prefer,(optics, bases, lights, mounts, stock/grips), how do you have your gun customized for your preferences; also list your experience level, (government/mil/Leo, private training, family/friend mentorship, self taught from available resourse), etc.

I think it would be interesting to see what everyone prefers and how often they shoot/train/plink/compete with their tool.

Most importantly, as amazing as our forum and membership are, we should be a resource to newer shooters to reach out; let's give them a really good showing.

Please, don't down anyone else's set up, even if it's pink, hello kitty, with off yellow furniture; they should explain per the directions here, what their mindset in the rig is. ( if you see someone who posts without reading this, please by all means chide them). You are family, if you think of a great direction to take here, or something I should have included, please post it.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I confirmed zero on my long gun Tuesday evening, (steady downpour for the past 3 days here in Virginia), for a class Saturday in West Virginia. We shot from a trip-pod, standing; shooting mats would have become pool rafts instantly, it's soup outside. I'm going up to attend a Carbine Proficiency course from Justified Defensive Concepts at ShadowHawk, from the description it sounds like a level 2 Carbine.

Gun: Just a rack BCM 14.5" medium weight, fluted Bbl. w/ Battle Comp 1.5 break, MCMR 13" M-Loc rail, BCM furniture, BCM forward stubby grip, PNT trigger (for $65, I highly recommend it).

Accoutrement: Optimized Weapon Light (OWL), Forward BUIS Troy HK, Trijicon MRO/Scalarworks LEAP Mount, Absolute co-witness, BCM ambi-charging handle, BCM mloc qd sling stud run forward on the right side of the rail, V-Tack padded sling.

I'm taking a back up gun, I list that one a bit later in the thread.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I have multiple options in lever-action, bolt-action, and semi-auto rifles depending on the scenario. My first choice for a home defense AR-15 would be my stock Colt LE-6920 with carry handle and iron sights only. A Colt M-16 much like it with the addition of the selector switch got me through a year as an advisor in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I prefer simple options without batteries. I have seen people play Barbie and modify their AR-15 rifles until they were not reliable and too heavy to use effectively.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I have multiple options in lever-action, bolt-action, and semi-auto rifles depending on the scenario. My first choice for a home defense AR-15 would be my stock Colt LE-6920 with carry handle and iron sights only. A Colt M-16 much like it with the addition of the selector switch got me through a year as an advisor in Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I prefer simple options without batteries. I have seen people play Barbie and modify their AR-15 rifles until they were not reliable and too heavy to use effectively.
    Agreed. You can put on a lot of slop, but if you do it correctly you can really make them cover many bases.
    Appalachian Concealment

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Agreed. You can put on a lot of slop, but if you do it correctly you can really make them cover many bases.

I just use it as an excuse to have more rifles for different scenarios.

Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-black-rifles.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-winchesters.jpg  

Defensive Long Gun:  How are the DC members setting them up?-m-77.jpg  

I don’t have anything dedicated but in a pinch for short range I have AR-15s in 5.56 and 300 BO, if I need to reach out farther there are the Garands and an M-1A and for extreme accuracy I have a Parker-Hale 1200 in 30/06 that with my handloads will shoot 3/8-1/2 inch groups at 100 yards if I do my part. The Parker-Hale wears a 3x9 scope and two AR-15s have reflex sights but all the others are open sights, simple and reliable. Other than qualifying with the M-16 in the USAF and shooting High Power Match I have no formal training.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I'm a self taught owner of a bone stock M&P 15 Sport ll. It does everything I need it to do.

I keep it in the closet loaded with 55 grain Gold Dots. when I take it to the range (once a month), I use 55 grain fmj American Eagle.

We use the Colt AR-15 at work (corrections) and have to qualify with it every year, so the main reason I have my AR is to stay proficient with the platform. I'm mostly a handgun kinda guy, revolvers specifically, which we also have to qualify with yearly.

Really depends on the scenario. For inside the home, I use a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 pump shotgun, loaded with #1 buckshot. I recently picked up some Heavy Shot #4 frangible buckshot, and may switch to that if I can get to a range that will let me pattern buckshot. I have a fiber optic front sight, a side saddle and a butt cuff (for extra shells) and a flashlight mounted to it. No sling, as I feel they can get too easily caught on things indoors.

For outside the home, say in the event of looting or such, I would probably still use the shotgun instead of a rifle. Any shots would be at relatively short range, and in this suburban housing development, there are simply no safe backstops in any direction. The frangible buckshot would be an asset in such a situation. It is designed to powder when hitting a hard surface...but of course, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

I know conventional wisdom is that 5.56 is great in urban/suburban situations, because the bullet is supposed to tumble and fragment. However, Paul Harrell did some excellent tests, and smaller buckshot actually had less over penetration risk than 5.56.

And I know this is going to cause some howls of protest, but in the event of needing to use a long gun outside, I am seriously looking at my Ruger 10/22 with the BX25 magazines. With the scope at low power, it is quick and accurate at middling ranges. My son and wife could easily use it, unlike my other options, due to the low recoil and relative quiet. And with homes in all directions, the .22LR may pose less risk. The Israelis use theirs for quelling violent riots and such...which is exactly the kind of situation that may cause a citizen here to reach for a long gun. The AR is not the answer to every scenario.

I have a PSA AR15A2...mostly for nostalgia. I was issued an M16A1 and A2 during my years in the service. I have a fixed 4x scope on the removeable carry handle, and that's it.

I also have a Mini 14, with a Tech Sights rear sight. No scope. I like it and prefer the Garand-style action.

Finally, I have a Marlin 336 lever action .30-30. I don't see the need for long range in my area, so this is what I selected for my .30-something rifle. Even during this panic, .30-30 "hunting" ammo has been available, so it's good to have options...good luck finding 5.56 or .223. I would feel completely comfortable using this for defensive purposes. It wears the scope it came with, and a butt cuff for an extra 10 cartridges.

None are tacticool, but I can do what needs doing with them.
    Stay calm and listen to SKA!

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I'm a owner of a bone stock M&P 15 Sport ll. I keep it in the closet

Oh wait, my bad, I forgot that I lost it last week in a boating accident. I ain't got no rifle no more.

We are simply utilizing a Winchester M94 30-30 with modifications to the sights (Lyman receiver sight and white dot front sight). We also have a Ruger Mini-14.

Mil guy here!

My primary rifle would be a Colt le6920 with an aimpoint and a streamlight gun light. Got a few other rifles that I could definitely put to work, but if I need a rifle for something, that’s what I anticipate being the most lost likely to employ.
    TSKnight and matthew03 like this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

My in-home defense is the government model 1911 on my hip or on my nightstand at night. A Mossberg 500 with #1 buckshot comes out of the safe and goes by the bed at night. My wife has the Stag Arms Mod1 AR-15 available in the safe. I have the Colt LE 6920 available in the safe.

There is the Alexander Arms AR-15 in .50 Beowulf for serious fun. There is the Armalite M15 with bull barrel and Burris AR 332 prism sight for 5.56X45mm longer range accuracy. There is the Armalite AR-10 with Burris 4X-12X XTR for 7.62X51mm longer range accuracy. There is the Springfield stainless loaded M1A 7.62X51mm for serious work. There are Winchester lever-actions in .30-30, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum for hunting or defense. There is the Ruger M77 in .338 Winchester magnum for big game hunting or very serious self defense.

My primary long arm is a Steyr AUG, 16” barrel, factory 1.5x Swarovski “Donut” optic, Surefire Scout weapon light, primary mag loaded with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, backups loaded with M193. Magpul MS3 2-point sling.
    TSKnight, matthew03 and OD* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My defense rifle is a Hi Point 995 with an ATI stock. If I need to reach out further than what that 9mm is capable of I'm in deep crap.

And it has been absolutely stone reliable with never a hickup in all the years I've had/used it.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

My first long gun was my Smith and Wesson M&P 15, which started out with an Eotech red dot, but now wears an Aimpoint red dot. I also have a Barret AR10 in .308 with a Nightforce 2.5x10x42 primarily set up for hunting. Both ARs have Blueforce Combat Application slings.

I have three bolt guns. A Remington 700 in 7mm-.08 which I bought used for hunting. It has been blueprinted and has a Timney trigger and match grade barrel. It also has a Nightforce 2.5x10x42. I have a Bergara Stalker in .308 which has a Nightforce 4x16x42 mounted on it. My practice rifle is my Remington 700 SPS tactical in .223 with a Nightforce 2.5x10x32 scope, Timney trigger, and HS Precision stock. All of my bolt guns have stock packs and slings.

Shotguns I have include a Benelli M2 Field for hunting and a Tavor TS12 for home defense. The Tavor has a Trijicon MRO and BUIS, with a VCAS sling.
    Last edited by G26Raven; May 21st, 2020 at 07:30 AM.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links