Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog - Page 4

Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog

This is a discussion on Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Big BIG difference in a 1970's or 80's Charter Arms...Bulldog, and the current 2 1/2" stainless model it is IMO a saturdayNite special...oldie but goodies ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog

Big BIG difference in a 1970's or 80's Charter Arms...Bulldog, and the current 2 1/2" stainless model it is IMO a saturdayNite special...oldie but goodies on gunbroker all the time,
    Side Gard holsters make all kinds of gun leather for Dogs, Iv got two, good quality stuff, mine gets carried lots more than it gets shot...my favorite

2008 called they want their thread back !!!

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com...og-44-special/

The only drawback I've read about is ammo sensitivity, prefers light loads. Too big for pocket carry. I need to look at one up close and shoot it before judging..

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Big BIG difference in a 1970's or 80's Charter Arms...Bulldog, and the current 2 1/2" stainless model it is IMO a saturdayNite special...oldie but goodies on gunbroker all the time,
    Side Gard holsters make all kinds of gun leather for Dogs, Iv got two, good quality stuff, mine gets carried lots more than it gets shot...my favorite

2008 called they want their thread back !!!
    1982 charter arms 3"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog-walkabout-002.jpg  

Opinions on Charter Arms Bulldog-walkabout-002.jpg  

Haywood likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    I have an old gen 1 3" 'Dog. If I needed to carry a revolver this would be it. I have a D frame Colt sized holster that fits the 'Dog perfectly. The prob has always been in carrying spare ammo. Years ago I carried an ammo wallet. Now I would carry Tuff strips.
    I have a 70's vintage 3" Bulldog, never a single problem. Very accurate at around 15 yards, with a 215 grain Lyman SWC loaded to around 750 fps. Not a screamer load, but that size bullet and flat meplat at 750 fps will do some damage. Sometimes I load it up a bit, but accuracy isn't quite as good. I also sometimes carry the 200 GDHP or 165 grain Hornady FTX, or 200 grain Hornady XTP, handloaded or factory.

Holsters for the Ruger SP101 should work with the bulldog. I carry mine frequently around the garage or yard. For out and about I have a couple of 2" Smith K frames, Ruger LCR, and Glock 19 that see the most duty.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array oldranger53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    shame that ammo for it is scarce and pricey.
    True.
    And that is the main reason the Bulldog in this family remains in the safe nowadays.

The round itself is great.
    Ammo is very hard to find.
    Sigh.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Any holster for a J-frame will work.
    Not i n plastic or composite holsters it won't. Just tried it today. The Bulldog and Pitbulls will not fit in Fobus or similar molded plastic holsters for the SW J Frame models. Have to use Ruger SP101 or K Frame style.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Todays production Charter Bulldogs are on the spot ...and they make a fine defensive revolver .. 21oz .. Slightly larger than a J frame ... And they're more SD 44spl ammo options than ever..
    Ive had at least one Charter Bulldog in my safe since 1984 ..

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    For several years I had a Charter Arms snubnose .38 that I ended up giving to my grandfather about 15 years ago. I'd guess it was made in the 90s.

Never had a single problem with it, but I only ran probly 200 rounds thru it. I didn't shoot a lot back then. I'd love a Pitbull in 45 acp, though. It's actually one of the few revolvers I could see myself buying.
    0119 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I'd love a Pitbull in 45 acp, though. It's actually one of the few revolvers I could see myself buying.
    Same here. I've always respected the .44spl. round and have wanted a Bulldog for decades. But the .45acp Pit Bull makes 100% more sense today and I plan on it to be my next handgun.

Charter Arms has been through several owners over the brand's history, including holding companies, etc. With each of those changes came a change in management priorities. As a result, materials, fit/finish & quality control are (IMHO) comPLETELY inconsistent. I've owned several with no "catastrophic" failures. I really LIKE the .44 spl Bulldog (brass is easy, just trim .44 mag shorter). Simply be careful buying a used one. The current production offerings seem as good as they've ever been, which is...just fine.
    Kilowatt3 and Doghandler like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Charter Arms has been through several owners over the brand's history, including holding companies, etc. With each of those changes came a change in management priorities. As a result, materials, fit/finish & quality control are (IMHO) comPLETELY inconsistent. I've owned several with no "catastrophic" failures. I really LIKE the .44 spl Bulldog (brass is easy, just trim .44 mag shorter). Simply be careful buying a used one. The current production offerings seem as good as they've ever been, which is...just fine.
    My first Charter Arms was a .38 Undercover I bought maybe 35 years ago. Absolutely no issues with it, and it still does "snake duty" and an occasional coat pocket trip.

We got my Mom a .38 Off-Duty about ten years ago, and it has served well, too. Mom is not able to handle a firearm safely anymore, but the Off-Duty has become my sister's backpacking gun. She takes it out regularly to check function, and her own shooting skills. No problems to date.

I got a stainless .44 Bulldog a couple years ago, and have been very pleased with it. No problems, and it's a lot of 'horsepower' in a small package. I don't have a huge round count through it yet, but I like it so far. Great snake gun, and definitely a formidable CC revolver.

Maybe we've just been lucky, and missed the 'bad years', but every CA revolver I've had experience with has been a great value. Might not want to put thousands of rounds a year through one, but for our purposes, they've been 100%. If I walk out the door with it in my pocket, I have as much faith that it will perform when needed as I would with any other gun.

I reload, and would not invest the time in cutting down .44 Mag brass. Just bite the bullet, buy a few boxes of quality .44 Special ammo and you're set for brass for a while!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Just got back from my favorite LGS and they happened to have a blued Bulldog behind the glass. Handled it and liked it. It certainly won't break my bank, even for a college student. Saw one in a different store months ago but it didn't cross my mind to see what it was all about. Heard more about the Bulldogs on this forum and came across Hickok45's Bulldog video and that's why I didn't pass up this chance to handle one. The idea of a .44 Spl CCW appeals to me quite a bit. It isn't the next gun on my list, but it is definitely on the list of guns I realistically will own.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Not i n plastic or composite holsters it won't. Just tried it today. The Bulldog and Pitbulls will not fit in Fobus or similar molded plastic holsters for the SW J Frame models. Have to use Ruger SP101 or K Frame style.
    Sorry I was talking about leather and not plastic since I rarely use that for concealed carry.

I should have been specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Sorry I was talking about leather and not plastic since I rarely use that for concealed carry.

I should have been specific.
    Understood. Was just making it clear for other folks who, like me, were looking for a correct fit holster.
    Rigrat likes this.
    "Engage your brain before you engage your weapon" - James "Mad Dawg" Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I noticed a discussion on the holster page about this gun. I like the idea of that much gun for the price, but my favorite gun store guy absolutely SLAMMED Charter Arms quality. I understand that you get what you pay for, and I don't expect the fit and finish of a higher priced weapon, but is this gun a safe, reliable weapon? Love that price....
    Cartman, save your money don't buy it!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links