Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried) - Page 2

Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=Col.TED;4613466] Originally Posted by patkelly4370 I 5'8", 265. I've found a little farther back, 2-2:30, with about 30° cant, is very comfortable for me. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Col.TED;4613466]
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I 5'8", 265.
    I've found a little farther back, 2-2:30, with about 30° cant, is very comfortable for me.
    I make my own holsters. Here is an OWB to show how the gun (full-size Beretta PX4 9mm) rides and the corresponding IWB holster.

(it actually sits father forward in use)

Here it is in a Remora holster. The grip tuck into/under the "roll".

Even when I was skinny (pre-marriage) I didn't like carrying behind me (4:00 on). I actually carried cross-draw for many years. Now it is uncomfortable.
    hmmn.....interesting!!!....you're just an inch & 25 lbs more than me.....how does that setup works on you while driving?
    Works perfectly, comfortable all day long (truck driver).
    The slide runs along the crease between thigh and torso. The IWB holster has no front seam to dig in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Col.TED likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    If Husky is a code word for Fat then weight reduction would resolve most issues in regards to position of carry. I speak from experience and I am not ridiculing others in regards to weight.

Quote Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
    Given the standing photo and the slide already digging in, I can not see that working for me as my build would be much like yours. How is it not digging even deeper with sitting?
    Good questions. It looks like it is digging in, but the slide really isn't, just some fat squishing around the sides and not uncomfortable. When sitting, in just let the gun barrel move toward my left side a bit, and it is fine. I do pull the gun up slightly and it works great. The benefit of this style of holster is it allows me to move the gun enough in any direction to get it "just right".

I've been sitting in a booth at a Jack's restaurant (like a McDonald's for all you non southerners) for almost an hour working on my laptop and all is well. In fact, when I got busy on a call, I completely forgot about it. Still learning, still fidgeting, but this method works ok. The only major issue is bending over while sitting on the floor like when I tried to put my shoes on. I had to get in a chair.

So far, so good. Day two is promising.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    If Husky is a code word for Fat then weight reduction would resolve most issues in regards to position of carry. I speak from experience and I am not ridiculing others in regards to weight.
    Husky is indeed a nice way to say fat. I think most of us realize that weight reduction would help. In fact, I mention it at length in my original post. But some folks don't want to or can't lose weight. So working "around it" is worth sharing IMO.

Congrats on your weight loss.
    CPLYank and BamaT like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    On the weight issue.
    At 13 years old I was 5'8" (like now) and 145 lbs.
    I weighed 145 until I was 26 years old.
    During those years I ran marathons, road raced motorcycles, and was practiced martial arts.
    At 26 I started road racing bicycles and bumped to 155 lbs (thigh muscles).
    At 31 years old I got married, had kids, no longer lived for myself. The weight started sticking.
    Getting older, testosterone levels decreased. More hours working to pay more bills.
    Now 57 years old and a truck driver. I'm on the road 5.5 days each week driving from CA to NE (or KS) and back. I get home I really just want to rest up (that testosterone thing).
    I don't like being fat but I'm also tired of busting my butt.
    I've earned my rest.
    As far as the grip of the gun digging in, the holster has a full sweat shield. Otherwise I wear an undershirt. It's still comfortable wearing all day.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    smolck, BamaT and Lefty_Red like this.

I've been trying appendix with my Advanced Holster GL-1. The price is right, and if I don't like appendix I just move it back to the 4 0'clock position. I have the Utilclip which facilitates easy adjustment. My belly is bigger than I want, and like "patkelly4370" said I'm tired. Health issues(cancer twice, but thankfully it was removable both times) and age cause me to sit more than walk.

Brent at Advanced Holster says more people like the gun to be covered and he recommends the Full Cover. He has another holster option(half/full cover??), but I didn't see it on the website. I'll have to ask him for a picture. I want to get one for my Glock 29.
    smolck likes this.
    --Jason--

After I started carrying a few years ago, through trial and error, I became a 3:00, zero cant, OWB man. I didn’t even really try appendix carry because of the usual excuses: my gun is too big; my belly is certainly too big; it can’t be comfortable; you can shoot your “boys” off. As a result, my attire in late spring, summer, and early fall down here in Georgia was almost always a T-shirt with an open covering shirt on top. Even carrying IWB was usually too noticeable under just an untucked polo, T-shirt, or buttoned-up collared shirt at 3:00.

However, a week ago my oldest son got a Galco Stow-N-Go for his Glock 19. He came into the room in jeans and a T-shirt and said, "Well?" To which I replied, "Well what?" And then he says, "Can you see it?" Just as I started to realize what we were talking about, he raised his T-shirt to reveal his gun in the new holster at the 1:00 position. Now, he does not have a gut like me, but he’s not skinny either. I was really impressed with how well the gun was hidden.

So, after gaining further inspiration from reading this thread this afternoon, I started experimenting with my Sig P229 in my Galco Triton holster this evening. I’m really surprised how well it feels, and conceals, in dress pants, with a dress (NOT gun) belt, under a white dress shirt. I may have to get a leather AIWB holster, and give it a real try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)-20160628_193754_resized.jpg  

Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)-20160628_193809_resized.jpg  

"Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Check out jmck holsters. He makes aiwb that is about perfect. Add a little foam wedge to the back of the holster to keep it from canting away from your body and you'll have it!
    smolck likes this.

Well, all day I carried with the vanguard 2 at the 1 o'clock position. I drove some 50 miles and sat in two meetings and never was uncomfortable, BUT......

An issue arose that could get me killed. I removed my gun when I came home and realized the gun had started coming out of the holster. NO THANKS! My full kydex AIWB gets here Thursday. Maybe that'll work......

I've carried a gun for almost 7 years now, and this is the first time I've been "rattled" a little by carrying. Yikes.

Appendix Carry for "husky" guys (first holster tried)-image.jpg
    Morbidrealities likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Well, all day I carried with the vanguard 2 at the 1 o'clock position. I drove some 50 miles and sat in two meetings and never was uncomfortable, BUT......

An issue arose that could get me killed. I removed my gun when I came home and realized the gun had started coming out of the holster. NO THANKS! My full kydex AIWB gets here Thursday. Maybe that'll work......

I've carried a gun for almost 7 years now, and this is the first time I've been "rattled" a little by carrying. Yikes.
    Well, that isn't good. Did the holster come loose, or was it pushed loose throughout the day?
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    first, i can show you hairy.... the zoo has accidentally tranqilized me twice.
    As far as AIWB goes, good luck with that. As a middle heavy guy, I just cant do it .
    matthew03 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1436 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	143250
    Uggg...kydex AIWB. I just can't stand kydex. Glad you can handle it though!

You know what I hate the most about AIWB? It's the "tactikewl" broskis on YouTube that lament the dangers of appendix carry. They talk about flagging your man bits and femoral artery, but all I hear is them making excuses. It's all psychological, the reasons why they won't, but that's not what they go on and on about is it?

Honestly, I prefer the CC to OC debate over the AIWB debate. You can at least usually find some common ground. The anti-appendix carry Yahoo's though? There is no debate, as it's straight up "No, no, no no!" Whatever tactikewl guy, you just keep rocking your $3,000 gold and purple Glock with crazy optics. I'll just continue to take advice from undercover Air Marshall's, retired Delta and Seal operators, retired undercover Narco officers and my own experience. You do you and I'll do me. /rant
    325rto and mkh like this.

Distinguished Member Array blackhawkfann24's Avatar
    I can't help with the husky part, cause I'm only 5'8" and 160 wet. I have a full stealthgear holster that I use with a nano for appendix and I was plesently surprised on how more comfortable it was than the 4 o'clock position, along with how well it hides. I haven't got it yet but I ordered a AIWB from them for my px4 that I am going to start carrying soon once I get the holster. The only time I notice it is when I'm on my motorcycle driving. I like the 4 o'clock because it was there by my wallet so I can pull that instead of the wallet, but really like the AIWB more and will use that all the time now.

Like I said though I an very skinny so I'm probably not helping
    Morbidrealities likes this.

I switch to AIWB for deep concealment, comfort and better access, but have become particular about which action I'll put there. Just don't feel comfortable with "spring-loaded" anything behind a primer in that location, so no half-/fully-cocked strikers or hammers - and I don't care to rely on internal or manual mechanical safeties.

For me, verifiable hammer down and controllable hammers during reholstering are must haves for chambered rounds there, so I guess it's DA/SA semis and revolvers for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links