Revolver appendix holster that's narrow at the barrel end

This is a discussion on Revolver appendix holster that's narrow at the barrel end within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to find a comfortable appendix holster for my new Ruger LCR revolver. The only holster I have so far is an off-the-shelf Galco ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Revolver appendix holster that's narrow at the barrel end

I'm trying to find a comfortable appendix holster for my new Ruger LCR revolver. The only holster I have so far is an off-the-shelf Galco Stow-n-Go.

The biggest issue with the Stow-n-Go is that when I sit down, the "extra" piece of leather that's next to the barrel hits my thigh. (Relative to the gun, the piece of leather I'm talking about is below the barrel; when I'm wearing the holster, it's below the trigger guard and to the right of the barrel.)

If I stick the naked (unloaded) revolver in my pants, it's super comfortable. The barrel ends up right on the inside of my thigh. But of course I want something that covers the trigger and keeps the gun in place.

Should I be looking for holsters that leave the barrel exposed (with the understand that I'll have to clean underwear lint and pubic hair out of it … yuck!)? Seems like the front sight would get stuck.

Should I look for holsters that have a narrow sheath for the barrel? (Is that even possible with leather? Perhaps I could remove the unwanted material from a Blade-Tech Klipt kydex holster?)

Or will a good leather holster become flexible over time and bend up on my thigh comfortably? Some great-looking custom holsters like the Side Guard Minimal Snap have "extra" leather that definitely looks like it's there on purpose, so maybe that's the answer?
    mjadams61 likes this.

Safe2Fire's kydex holster looks somewhat promising.

I have two Side Guard Minimal Snap holsters for some of my j-frames. The leather is quite thin and does not really extend beyond the end of the barrel. I mainly pocket carry my revolvers, https://mikaspocketholsters.com but I sometimes will carry AIWB. I got the Minimal Snap because I was looking for something thin and easy to get on and off and, as I am rather short and a bit stout, I wanted something small. The "extra" leather you seem to be referring to is not too bothersome. I do sometimes move the holster slightly forward if I'm sitting a great deal, but once you find the right position, it's not that noticeable. The snap on the holster also does offer a bit of flexibility for canting the holster a bit when you sit, something a clip can not do. You could perhaps ask Erik at Sideguard to make the holster ride a bit higher so you don't feel the "extra" leather as much. If you do decide to get a Sideguard holster, consider having a Speed Pouch made to match. I really like the workmanship and functionality of mine.
    Vuva3rae and Nmuskier like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You might look into the Clipdraw. I have been contemplating getting one for the j-frame. Could solve your issue.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Quote Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
    You might look into the Clipdraw. I have been contemplating getting one for the j-frame. Could solve your issue.
    Thanks, the Clipdraw is indeed an option. The little clip looks like it would fall off my belt with some movement, but people on the Internet don't seem to have that problem, so I think I'll try it. Maybe it won't be good enough to hold it in place while using the urinal/toilet, but I can live with that.

I ordered a Mic trigger-guard holster. I wonder if I'll be able to glue something to the Mic (on the pants side) so that it rotates the grip of the gun into my belly.
    Last edited by Vuva3rae; August 6th, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

I just bought one of these because my wife wants me to dress a little nicer :) instead of the bib overalls all the time. I use it when wearing khakis. In fact you can rotate the clip for what ever way you carry it. I have a Taurus 605 I carry.

http://www.desantisholster.com/SOF-TUCK
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum!" -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus ​(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I made this for my full-size Beretta PX4 9mm.

It's comfortable wearing all day. Smooth, rounded leather against my thigh.
    I'm going to make one for my 2.25" SP101.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
    I just bought one of these because my wife wants me to dress a little nicer :) instead of the bib overalls all the time. I use it when wearing khakis. In fact you can rotate the clip for what ever way you carry it. I have a Taurus 605 I carry.

SOF-TUCK, IWB Holster, Holsters For Springfield XD, DesantisHolster.com
    I don't think that would work for me for appendix carry because a straight drop would put the clip right over the cylinder. My Galco Stow-n-Go has the clip right over the cylinder, and it makes a big and somewhat uncomfortable bulge. I'm hoping one of the holsters that has the clip located in the trigger guard area will suit me better. The Side Guard and Safe2Fire holsters are examples of that arrangement.
    forester58 and mjadams61 like this.

https://www.dmeholsters.com/product/featherlight-aiwb/#prettyPhoto[product-gallery]/1/

I recommend the DME with the belt loop which can be canted both directions. Get the one with the loop offset over the trigger guard. When I carry a 2" revolver AIWB it is much more comfortable and concealable with a 1" thick foam block glued under the barrel on the body side. That pushes the grip tight and makes it very easy to bend over,etc. Dale Fricke's Archangel is another very good AIWB holster.
    If this is to end in fire then we should all burn together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    Thanks, the Clipdraw is indeed an option. The little clip looks like it would fall off my belt with some movement, but people on the Internet don't seem to have that problem, so I think I'll try it. Maybe it won't be good enough to hold it in place while using the urinal/toilet, but I can live with that.

I ordered a Mic trigger-guard holster. I wonder if I'll be able to glue something to the Mic (on the pants side) so that it rotates the grip of the gun into my belly.
    Aaagh. No. Get a real holster.

It sounds like you are trying to appendix carry a 4" revolver. Unless you are incredibly short, I can't see the grip in your belly and the barrel next to your thigh. Sitting down does take a slight adjustment, but the gun should sit well above your thigh in an appendix holster. Maybe the Galco just lets the gun sit too low. Ivan mentioned this holster in the snap version. Here is the clip model:
    Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters - Minimal Clip

I have an IWB and OWB from them. They are high quality leather.
    Ivan likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Aaagh. No. Get a real holster.

It sounds like you are trying to appendix carry a 4" revolver. Unless you are incredibly short, I can't see the grip in your belly and the barrel next to your thigh. Sitting down does take a slight adjustment, but the gun should sit well above your thigh in an appendix holster. Maybe the Galco just lets the gun sit too low. Ivan mentioned this holster in the snap version. Here is the clip model:
    Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters - Minimal Clip

I have an IWB and OWB from them. They are high quality leather.
    I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs. When I sit up straight, I measure 5.5" from the top of my thigh to my ribs. That's a tight squeeze even for my LCR.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of the Mic+Clipdraw solution. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make if I have to, but I hope to find a real holster that will work.

I have ordered the Safe2Fire kydex holster. it shouldn't take too long to get. I have also written to Erik at Side Guard Holsters (his work looks great, and I hope one of them will suit me), but haven't heard back yet. It hasn't been a week yet, so maybe he's on vacation or otherwise tied up. His last post here was three years ago and the website was last updated last year—I hope he still makes holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuva3rae View Post
    I have also written to Erik at Side Guard Holsters (his work looks great, and I hope one of them will suit me), but haven't heard back yet. It hasn't been a week yet, so maybe he's on vacation or otherwise tied up. His last post here was three years ago and the website was last updated last year—I hope he still makes holsters.
    He responded now, so he's still in business. Phew.

I just looked at my DeSantis Sof-Tuck 'cuz I regularly wear it IWBA with my J-frame. While it isn't clear the photo, the lower, trailing leather edge has gently rolled upward from apparently your same issue. It's inexpensive, (now) very comfortable and doesn't clunk to the floor when I relieve myself.

Revolver appendix holster that's narrow at the barrel end-image.jpg
    Nmuskier and Vuva3rae like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Another interesting holster: Betty from Flashbang, marketed to women for some reason. It appears to not have any extra material in the area than conflicts with my thigh at 2 o'clock. It also appears that the clip, which is over the cylinder, is offset a little toward the top of the gun. I haven't seen that on other holsters. It's possible that it helps rotate the grip so it conceals better. Here is a picture of the Betty with an LCR. The Betty holster is $32 on Amazon with free shipping.

If you buy/wear a "Betty" holster. Please, PLEASE don't ever...mention it to hairy-ankled acquaintances.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links