UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY) - Page 6

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)

This is a discussion on UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TJ....and exactly why wouldnt a t-shirt work for you? I'm an over 40 type that bends, twist, runs (rarely) and even wrestles folks, and all ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    TJ....and exactly why wouldnt a t-shirt work for you? I'm an over 40 type that bends, twist, runs (rarely) and even wrestles folks, and all the while stuffing all my toys under a shirt. Heck when I go do runs on a box (to keep my NREMT cert current) I still wear the t-shirt holster and it stands up better as when you kneel beside someone your pants dont ride up and wala theres your ankle rig. If it comes to strenious work, other than a full tactical vest and theigh rig, I havent found anything thats as secure (even holds up to pulling a few G's in a fighter plane ((Now that was fun)).

St8...cant say that its is a great idea under a t-shirt or Polo shirt. Neither of those allow ease of access to the rig. (Ohh by the way, was up in Tulsa area this past week for the Patriot Guard Riders motorcycle gathering and I wore one under a sleveless red'neck shirt for the 300+ mile ride up, 500 miles rides around and 300 mile ride back)
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Ohhh just received another UC ChiroHolsters. Dangit they only have an XL and Small and neither fit me. Couple luck guys at work are already in love and not real good at "sharing" them and the results of the test so far is positive. Will let you know more (with pics) as the test goes along.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    TJ....and exactly why wouldnt a t-shirt work for you? I'm an over 40 type that bends, twist, runs (rarely) and even wrestles folks, and all the while stuffing all my toys under a shirt. Heck when I go do runs on a box (to keep my NREMT cert current) I still wear the t-shirt holster and it stands up better as when you kneel beside someone your pants dont ride up and wala theres your ankle rig. If it comes to strenious work, other than a full tactical vest and theigh rig, I havent found anything thats as secure (even holds up to pulling a few G's in a fighter plane ((Now that was fun))
    Cuz my work shirts fit just right to a smidigen tight and don't have any extra space in em to wear something like a pistol under em.

I can't just purchase new shirts, the company provides em and has to order em for me. I've got to figure out how to destroy a couple before they will order new ones & even then it normaly takes 1-2 months to get em in

Oh and the company has this policy that if ya have a weapon at work or in your POV on company policy you are fired, plain and simple, no questions asked.

Good thing I never carry a weapon at work!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

After reading about this shirt, as well as the other shirt type holsters, I decided to try the UCComfort shirt holster.

Based on what I read, I guessed I'd wear a medium. When I first tried it on, my first reaction was that I ordered a size too tight. While I could still breath, it was very tight. I decided to try it anyways for a few days and order a large as well to compare. One thing I can say, is the medium held my firearm in place like it was in a vice! :-)

After trying them both, I decided to go with the large. Normally, the firearm doesn't move at all, but you do get a little bit of movement when going up and down stairs quickly. That said, it seems very secure.

My thinking now is that I should have just ordered both sizes up front. I would have had a better fitting shirt sooner, and saved on shipping.

The shirt has a number of various pocket configurations. As Steve has suggested, there are two pockets that can carry a firearm on each side -- a front and a rear.

As with Steve, the front one causes the butt of the firearm to stick out too far. In contrast, the rear pocket caused my Sig P239 to fit directly under my armpit, with the backstrack tucked in there almost like a crutch. In this configuration, it is basically impossible to tell there is a firearm there with relaxed body postures (arms more or less at your sides). It simply is hidden beneath your arm.

It seems very well made, and as Steve has observed, the special fabric they use makes a big difference. I can see why the result wouldn't be very good with a lesser fabric. The design seems well considered. They obviously put a lot of thought into this product.

In moving around, I can see that the most revealing position is reaching forward, across your body (imagine hugging yourself). This can cause a bulge to be revealed.

This position also has some potential to print the top slide of the firearm. It occurs to me that it might be possible to rig up some sort of print shield by sewing some of the stretchy fabric more or less vertically which the firearm would tuck under. Maybe with a thin bit of neoprene to suppress bumps from the sights. Sorry, this is easier pictured than described. Either way, this only happens when you reach and when you are only covered by a single layer (shirt).

I've worn with both just a shirt and a shirt + jacket. I tend to wear a canvas jacket (great for CC BTW) which makes printing almost impossible, and also obscures the bulge with this particular arm maneuver. The nice thing is I can take the jacket off. This is great for me at work where I wear a tucked button down shirt and the jacket is appropriate, but if you wore the jacket 100% of the time it might appear odd.

I should say that work is business casual and I've taken to wearing dark, printed shirts, a size larger than I would normally. These are really print resistant. I'm not sure how well this method would work with a fitted, light color shirt for example.

When wearing the shirt prior to washing, it was a bit scratchy. I washed mine with some fabric softener and let air dry. After this, it didn't seem scratchy to me.

I carry a backpack every day. I was a bit concerned how compatible this method of carry would be, but I've found that since the firearm doesn't protrude in the front, or in the rear, that there is no impact on comfort with the backpack and no impact on concealability.

Normally I just wear the P239 and a spare mag. On the weekends we swim our dogs and wade in with them to facilitate ball retrieval and crowd avoidance. A few weekends ago, I realized I had extra pockets in the UC shirt and stuffed my wallet and iPod in the front shirt pocket to keep them dry. Having extra pockets in there is pretty handy, even if you weren't carrying the firearm. FWIW, the wallet in the front pocket did print somewhat, but I didn't really care since it was just a wallet. That said, I don't think anyone noticed.

While it hasn't been overly hot here lately (70-80F), I haven't been overly hot with the UC.

So what are the downsides?

The shirt has an elastic retention strap to secure the firearm. I find it very difficult to remove the firearm with this in place, but I found that if I bend over without the strap that the firearm isn't secure enough (the P239 might be small, but isn't light at 20oz dry).

I find that while very concealed, drawing is a bit difficult for me. You really have to reach around your body. It isn't undoable, and I'm willing to have this tradeoff for being able to carry in situations where I normally wouldn't/couldn't.

The snaps that allow the pockets to be reconfigured put marks on the slide of my firearm. You can tell that they are leaving metal *from* the snaps on the black finish of the firearm. While cosmetic, it is somewhat annoying. I was tempted to remove the offending snaps (since the pocket in question is always going to carry the firearm), but worry that it might cause the fabric to unravel.

I found that depending on the heat, I do sweat on the firearm somewhat. Interesting it isn't where I would have thought (the arm pit). It's on the slide, near the muzzle.

The v-neck is visible with a shirt that is unbuttoned at the top. While it looks like a normal tee-shirt, it would be nice if it was cut so you couldn't see it. People might wonder why you are wearing a tee if it is real hot out. I know they have a tank top product, which I'd like to try, but was not available when I ordered. I'd also prefer dark navy over white. I know they sometimes offer black, but I'd prefer dark navy. Either way, white was all that they had in stock.

My P239 is DA/SA. It has a decocker only, no external safety. While decocked, the hammer does not rest directly on the firing pin. In short, it isn't going to go off unless you pull the trigger. And a slightly heavy, DA trigger at that. When I wear in a normal holster that covers the trigger, I feel very secure that there is just no way it is going to accidentally go off. While I know intellectually that it safe to carry in the UC shirt (exactly how is something going to get caught in the trigger and pulled through your shirt and the UC shirt?!), I have to admit at times I felt emotionally uncomfortable with it.

I was very happy with the UC shirt, but it wasn't perfect. So I was reading the great post by luvmy40 about forming Kydex. It dawned on me I could solve all the problems.

So I purchased some Kydex from knifekits.com and made a "wrap" for the P239. Basically it folds around the slide like a taco, leaving the opening of the wrap on the bottom of the firearm, where the trigger is. At the muzzle, I folded the Kydex back upon itself so it forms a little tab to hold the taco holster into the shirt. That way it doesn't come out when you draw.

Bear in mind, that I had never done this before and I don't have all the correct tools like luvmy40 has. I just winged it. I threw a chunk of Kydex in the oven on an aluminum foil covered (probably not needed, but we probably don't need Kydex flavored cookies) cookie pan and then just placed the Kydex on a towel, then the P239, then another towel, then a phone book. I hacked it into shape with a coping saw which was difficult, but worked. Shaped it a bit further with file, belt sander and finally by hand with sandpaper.

It came out very well for a first time try, although I did order some heat resistant foam and some thinker Kydex from knifekits.com and plan to try again.

I'm really happy with how the little taco holster works with the UC shirt. It protects the firearm from the snaps, from sweat and provides retention so I don't need the elastic strap. And most importantly (for me), it gives me piece of mind that I have a hard barrier protecting the trigger.

So I've been using the shirt all day, every day for a couple of weeks now. Despite the P239 being fairly heavy, it is very comfortable in the UC. I find that, like Steve described, the firearm almost feels part of you.

I think this is a great product and now that I've added my little 'taco' holster, I consider it almost a perfect system for deep concealment.

Good job, UC, and thanks Steve for bringing this product to our attention!

-john

Hello Fed here is new video that I came across from UnderCoverComfort

http://uccomfort.net/user/UCcomfort.mov

Great review John....my only comment on the retention strap is take it off...its the first thing I do when my shirts arrive. Havent used them ever and frankly dont see a need for them. Am interested in what you do with the kydex and once your done, I'd suggest if it works, let Al know as he just might do the same thing.

Later ya'al.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Great review John....my only comment on the retention strap is take it off...its the first thing I do when my shirts arrive. Havent used them ever and frankly dont see a need for them. Am interested in what you do with the kydex and once your done, I'd suggest if it works, let Al know as he just might do the same thing.

Later ya'al.
    I've been carrying with my quick-and-dirty, first generation Kydex "taco" holster for a bit over a month now and have been very happy with it, but wanted to try again.

I finally got my heat resistant foam from knifekits.com and built my Kydex "V2 taco" holster for my UC shirt.

It isn't perfect (would be a lot easier with a bandsaw), but I'm quite happy.

V2 differences:

- Use the .093 thickness material instead of .060
    - Used the heat resistant foam for a better fit
    - Covered the entire slide instead of just covering the trigger.
    - Made the retention tab larger so the holster is more secure in the shirt.
    - Extended the material to cover the hammer in a sweeping curve to reduce potential of printing.

Mistakes:

- Trimmed about 1/8th of an inch too much on one part of the trigger guard. It's a bit hard to cut exactly w/o a bandsaw. Just an aesthetic issue.
    - Might have gone a bit overboard on the length of the tab.
    - Probably would have benefited from two layers of foam instead of one as well as maybe a bit more pressure (I just stacked some phone books on it).

Overall, I'm very happy. The combination of the heavier Kydex, the use of the foam, and the fuller coverage provides improved retention w/o impacting draw.

Perhaps part of it is the size shirt (I probably could use a medium & 3/4 instead of a large, but medium is pretty snug) and maybe part of it is the skinny single stack Sig P239, but w/o the "taco", bending over and touching my toes would cause the P239 to come loose.

It was improved with the V1 taco, but didn't feel as secure as I'd like. With the V2 I can touch my toes, bounce around and it stays nice and secure.

Although it wasn't really a problem, the V2 protects the entire slide from sweat.

The V2 rounds off the edges to help avoid printing and gouging (although I admit it was somewhat of a hypothetical problem).

I'll start wearing the V2 tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Oh, I also made some Kydex "J" clips for my mags. Those skinny single stackers kept sliding down in the pockets which made them hard to get, was pokey, and made me afraid to use the pockets that were not sewn shut on the bottom.

The clips are shaped like a "J" and the bottom of the mag sits in the bottom. At the top it is folded over to attach to the pocket. A bit hard to describe. But it keeps the mag from sliding down in the pocket and now I carry them in a pocket w/o no bottom w/o fear of losing them or having them difficult to access.

FWIW, a variant of the taco would probably be good w/Smartcarry as well.

If anyone is willing to host images, I'd be happy to mail some pictures. Just PM me with your email.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    The above URL now longer works.
    It has been changed to; http://www.undercovercomfort.com/Holsters.html
    The company has a .net domain as well that differs in layout but ultimately reflects the same information.

FWIW I submitted my order via-email 8 days ago after trying for a month and then giving up to reach a real life human there to talk with about the product. I left three VM over a 5 week period all indicating that I am calling as per product endorsement from 'Fed with a Sig' at DefensiveCarry.com. I never received a return call and I actually tried seven times to speak with a person calling at different hours of the work day. The phone number goes direct to a VM and by all appearances no calls are returned. Frankly this to me seemed suspect.

I let the idea sit for another two months and following seeing posts from others in this thread and at forums else wise to which people have submitted orders via the net and received product in current time I decided to give this a second try and submitted an order via the now updated and revised web interface.
    Note that I'd tried to do so before back in June but at that time the web store did not appear to be functioning correctly (again suspicious) thus my reason for attempting to call direct.

My order was submitted on 8/21 and I received from them an automated confirmation of order receipt followed by several hours later the same day an 'Order Update' indicating a status of "Processing".
    Upon receipt of product I will post an update indicating as much.

Honestly the only reason why I gave this a second try is because Fed Wig A Sig comes off to me to be real deal per checking backward into other posts of his that are not toward this topic, and that again other folks here and at other recent forum postings have received their product and report to be satisfied or greater in so far as the products marketed claims.
    Know that I do remain somewhat skeptical due to how the company presents/markets itself (which is my profession) but at the same time I'm very much hoping this product arrives and works as it would be of real use to me in my own adventures as a civilian who carries across a number of varying environments concealed day to day.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Personally I think his mall ninja badge was showing.

I was thinking the same thing

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully they are still in business and hopefully they will make it right for you and address the issues so they don't happen again.

FWIW, here is my recent order history (as best I can piece it together). I agree the order stuff is pretty goofy and I had a couple of days where I couldn't order any product either because their web purchasing was off-line.

- Order sleeveless shirt 7/8 via web site.
    - Email from info --a-t-- underCoverComfort.com 7/22 indicating they didn't have sleevless in stock but they had sleeved. I responded same day saying OK to ship sleeved.
    - Email reponse same day saying will go out 7/23. They also emailed a notice saying it was shipped.
    - IIRC, I got it almost immediately after that.
    - Another order 7/26, this time it went via Paypal ( sales --a-t-- undercovercomfort.com ). I think this was due to the dualing web site thingy.
    - I can't remember the details, but this one came without problems or comment. I don't remember exactly how long, but probably a week or less.
    - IIRC all web orders were down for a little while in here and my next order was a s soon as I noticed it was back up.
    - Another order 8/2, also via Paypal, also came without issues or comment. Also probably less than a week.

Summary: First order wasn't in stock, took a long time for them to contact me, but then it came quickly. Order sites got changed around in there, but I was able to get stuff from both sites eventually. For a period, all online orders were totally offline. Orders with in stock items seem to come in a reasonable period.

-john

Good review

Here are some v2 "taco" pictures.

-john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-taco_v2_01.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-taco_v2_02.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-taco_v2_03.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-taco_v2_04.jpg  

And the "j-clips".

-john
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-jclip01.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-jclip02.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-jclip03.jpg  

UC Comfort in Action (Video FINALLY)-jclip04.jpg  

Would love to order the sleeveless version but this website http://www.undercovercomfort.net/ asks for your credit card number on a unsecure page.

This page on this site http://www.ucctactical.com/Holsters.html is secure via a paypal pop up but you can't order the sleeveless there.

It seems like Al makes a great product but needs to pay some web designer a couple hundred bucks to build a nice website.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Here are some v2 "taco" pictures.

-john
    mmmmm.... Sig taco -yummy! Great idea for the shirt holster.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links