Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only) - Page 2

Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

This is a discussion on Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Drop leg holsters are for real deal operators at work or tactards....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

Drop leg holsters are for real deal operators at work or tactards.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    LOL.. I guess that is one way to say it
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I am curious is a Drop leg adheres to Texas OC law?
    Interesting question. As I'm sure most CHL/LTC Texans know, the law requires that open carry must be in either a "belt holster" or "shoulder holster".

I suppose one could argue that a drop leg holster is a belt holster of sorts, because they do seem to attach to the belt. However, being the test case doesn't sound like a pleasant proposition.

Morbidrealities likes this.
    Go Frogs!

Texas Concealed Handgun License (resident)
    Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License (non-resident)

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Strictly belt holster for me. The weight of the gun being moved by each step the leg takes makes a drop holster too wearisome for me.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Only time I use a drop is for my mag light and my mk9 spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Interesting question. As I'm sure most CHL/LTC Texans know, the law requires that open carry must be in either a "belt holster" or "shoulder holster".

I suppose one could argue that a drop leg holster is a belt holster of sorts, because they do seem to attach to the belt. However, being the test case doesn't sound like a pleasant proposition.

Texas police department Q&A on new 'Open Carry' law - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

TL;DR

If I use a “drop leg” holster that holds my gun around the middle of my thigh, will I get arrested for having an improper holster?
    No you will not be arrested for that type of holster. It is still mounted to your belt which is the requirement in the law.
    Grant48 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array nlyric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I am curious is a Drop leg adheres to Texas OC law?
    I would say yes. They are made to attach to the belt. Anti gun Houston DA... And chief say yes. FWIW.
    Grant48 and Kennydale like this.
    "It's almost like a right, except without the pesky Liberty"
    Author unknown.....

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidrealities View Post
    Texas police department Q&A on new 'Open Carry' law - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

TL;DR

If I use a “drop leg” holster that holds my gun around the middle of my thigh, will I get arrested for having an improper holster?
    No you will not be arrested for that type of holster. It is still mounted to your belt which is the requirement in the law.
    Actually, there is no requirement by law that it be mounted to your belt. In a shoulder or belt holster.
    Author unknown.....

Quote Originally Posted by nlyric View Post
    Actually, there is no requirement by law that it be mounted to your belt. In a shoulder or belt holster.
    True, it just says "in a shoulder or belt holster". I don't think I'd put my firearm in a belt holster and hang it around my neck to test that out though.
    nlyric likes this.

True, it just says "in a shoulder or belt holster". I don't think I'd put my firearm in a belt holster and hang it around my neck to test that out though.
    On or about the license holders person. Am I the only one that realizes how utterly rediculous the question " will I be arrested for this holster, " is... Micro control at its finest....

One could argue my front jean pocket to be a belt holster, it attaches to a belt .... The whole need for controlling every little aspect with threat of arrest at gun point, is infinitely bizarre to me...
    Author unknown.....

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I wouldn't want to do a lot of walking or running with one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I saw a guy run about 10 minutes of a course with a drop leg and then he threw it on the ground and bummed a holster from an instructor. Guys were taking bets to see how long he would last with it.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. I have a lot of respect on how civil it is at this time. More than anyone will know. At this time I will attempt to reply to everyone who has replied which is related to the OP.

A huge thank you to all of you that are in/has been in service to the country that you serve and those that have sacrificed for them. Today's youth forget that people died for the freedoms they have and decide to abuse it. I can't apologize for them but I can assure you that I'll never disrespect the loss and service of which I will never experience. Without the military we have today or from the days past I would not be here! Those of you who have lost a family member I thank you as well and while I never knew them they are not forgotten as a whole. I cherish each day knowing that it would be much different if they had not made that sacrifice. I can't bring them back, I can't take away what anyone has been through. All I can do is live my life to the best I can in the memory of those lost and those still fighting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The closest I have used was a western rig with a Ruger Blackhawk I carried hunting once, never again, it caught on just about everything I went past. Most of the security people on-base carry in a drop leg rig and the ones I have talked to say they do get in the way sometimes but they do get used to them after awhile. I did not ask about speed of draw but just looking at the positioning it appears there may be s slight advantage to the drop leg but you would have to time both to see which is better for you.
    That's interesting. I don't do any hunting but I can see the issues that may occur with walking around with a drop leg rig and having it pull at bushes and whatever else. I typically wear mine so it is facing on the front of my leg instead of protruding from the right. That way it's going with my leg instead of pulling anything off from the right. Maybe give that a try and see how it works or have you tried that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    For general carry, as opposed to certain unique situations (hunting, hiking, etc.) I don't see the desire for this type of rig. I prefer a simple, nondescript holster that when seen, looks for all the world to be strictly business. And actually, this sort of holster catches very little attention. It is also the type of holster with which I train. Besides, I am not looking for a rig that screams, "Look at me, I'm armed. Aren't you impressed"? I didn't look for that sort of attention when I was open carrying on a daily basis and I don't look for it now with my concealed friend.

I did have lunch with several people maybe five years ago and one of them did have a drop leg holster. It was an open carry lunch meet and greet and I thought his rig was a bit unusual. But no one ran screaming from the restaurant so all was well. To each his own.
    I'm with you on this. I'm never looking for anything that sreams "Hey I have a gun!" ever. It's really hard for me to CC so I just OC. The issue I have with drop legs is that it is a lot of material that is just out there and visible. So I'm taking some of my old jeans (black) that I can cut and let the straps go under the jeans instead of being visible around them. That may help me to keep it a tad less noticeable than it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Drop leg holsters are for those in uniform, probably with body armor. It works as a backup to a rifle on a sling to keep the sidearm out of the way. That's the only time I preferred that style of carry. It does bang on everything, and is a pain when riding in the passenger seat. Otherwise, I much prefer my sidearm on my belt.
    Interesting. I don't feel that they are only for those in uniform. Yes, the military does use them here and there but it doesn't mean that they are solely for military does it? I don't wear mine off to the right side it's in the front. I've never had it bang on anything or get in the way. I will note that I used to have it hanging off to my right and it did get in the way so I moved it to the front and never had a problem since. Just my changes to make it more comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    I use one occasionally while working around the house if I'm wearing my tool belt. Other than that, I've only seen one other in the wild. A trucker at the truck stop down the road from me came into the McDonalds with a 92FS in a drop leg, with a 30rd magazine.
    Wish you had pics of that. Would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I should reiterate that I have no problem with people who want to use a drop leg holster. That's their prerogative, as well it should be. Just not for me.
    Thank you for your input and reiterating that you don't do a drop leg. Never knew what you did before as I don't know you.

Quote Originally Posted by OlCop View Post
    To each his own. I carried in a leg drop years ago while on our SWAT team. It was an advantage when rappelling or needing more room on your belt for extra equipment. The one thing that was a detractor for me was that it is much more difficult to ward off a gun grab, particularly if not a Level 3.
    I was puzzled when I first read this then I had to put that into perspective and imagine the situation before I got it. Do you think that the drop leg makes it easier for a gun grab? Would any other OC holster be as easy than one? For me my hand just naturally falls on my drop leg holster. It's just always there. I use my other hand for everything else from needing my wallet or phone or keys or whatever. It's a little resting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I wear one occasionally...mostly when training or doing something out of the ordinary that requires the use of a tactical vest.

The drop holsters aren't really all they are cracked up to be. They aren't as comfortable and its easy to get worn raw when you get hot and sweaty.

If I can get by without using one I will.
    I'd love to hear some stories on your training. I'm sure I don't have the training you do and would like to hear more if willing. My body is weird as my arms are closer to my knees than they are my hips so it's odd. I just find it easier to get to a drop leg than a hip holster is all.

My opinion.

The drop legs we used in the military were because wearing them on our waist took up valuable space. It was either a chest rig or a drop leg. Too me a drop leg is only useful in very few situations outside of true tactical.
    Great information there. I was never in the military and they wouldn't have me when I tried to get into the Navy because of a heart condition. I can see a value of having a drop leg here and in all military so that it frees up waist space for other items.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I can see the advantage of one for positioning the firearm further down from the waistline when hiking with a backpack.
    But, not any further on down the leg than absolutely necessary.
    AKA a couple of inches below what would be a typical Open Carry at the waist.

I certainly would shy away from some of the lower priced Velcro adjustible..."one size fits all larger type handguns" holsters.
    I have seen at least a couple of those that were complete garbage and extremely slow to access w/ regard to the firearm.
    And those even minus the absurd retention straps.

I always carry concealed but can appreciate any well designed holster that works as it should.

My only advice would be to shop around and purchase a quality rig that is not generic.
    Thank you for this advice. This is good advice to anyone who carries. It's all about carrying what works for us. And what works for us will not always work for everyone else. My opening statement was not to turn this into a cc vs oc debate and since you always conceal it is nice to hear this kind of advice. It's honest and not arguementative

Quote Originally Posted by theotherside View Post
    You should conceal carry, its better for the environment.
    Last I checked mother nature didn't care how we carried. Thank you for the thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I used to ride the Metro in DC. Whenever the threat level got raised, they would beef up the transit cops with DHS agents, because, well, it was DC. These guys were all clean cut and in the their 20's. They wore black polo shirts with "DHS" across the back and an embroidered badge on the left chest, over khaki pants. Their guns were in drop holsters, even thought they really had no other gear except for handcuffs and extra mags. They looked like some bizzare, neo-Nazi, preppy fraternity!
    Like mentioned in an earlier reply on this post I would love to see that in pics. Just to see what you saw and share the moment. Sounds interesting and bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    A few years back we had a local Forest cop who was looking for anyone he could harass. His favorite targets were kids target practicing out in the forest land. If he could see any piece of clothing hanging over any part of the gun he would write them for an Illegal Concealed gun. He didn't last long But I did get our youngest a Drop leg holster. You would have a very difficult time calling one a "Concealed Holster"!

I did wear his a time or two to see if I'd like one. I don't see myself ever buying one. It prevents the use of my pockets, it put the gun in the way of everything, and when I came back from a day out in the brush I had to strip the gun, because of all the leaves and debris that had fallen into the holster.

They serve a purpose, they are just not for me. DR
    I like the story and glad the officer didn't last long. I don't feel that any legal carrier should be harassed. Just tarnishes the name of the officers who don't believe in that.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    What is a "tactard" if you care to explain that one? I'm not familiar with that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Strictly belt holster for me. The weight of the gun being moved by each step the leg takes makes a drop holster too wearisome for me.
    Good note here. My drop leg doesn't move actually. It's always right were I need it and I don't go out on long walks or runs with it. It's simply things like getting gas or going to the grocery store. Which is a long story. To put it simply I plan where I am going, what I need and get right down to it without lingering around. The less time in public the better for me. Get in, get what I need and get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemoffler1 View Post
    Only time I use a drop is for my mag light and my mk9 spray.
    What mag light? What holster for it? I am curious. I'd like to hear more on that and the mk9 spray.

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I wouldn't want to do a lot of walking or running with one.
    True, it's not for running with or a ton of walking with in general terms. But military do both on a fair daily basis? Not trying to convince you and I agree with you. In normal day to day life outside of the military not many would prefer to walk/run with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I saw a guy run about 10 minutes of a course with a drop leg and then he threw it on the ground and bummed a holster from an instructor. Guys were taking bets to see how long he would last with it.

What kind of course was it? Who won the bet? You make any money off it? hehe. Sounds like a neat story.
    103830, Ianthin and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    OK maybe I missed it in your posts, but if you want to OC, why not with a more traditional hip holster? Not bashing, I OC quite often, but a drop leg rig in any position just seems cumbersome and a lot of additional weight.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

To the OP re: The DHS guys. Funny you should mention pictures. I pulled out my cell to take a pic but thought better of it. I had a vision of me in cuffs and / or having my phone confiscated. Those guys looked like they like they were itching to do something besides standing around.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links