Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only) - Page 3

Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

This is a discussion on Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is a "tactard" if you care to explain that one? I'm not familiar with that term. Tactard is short for tactical retard. The mall ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

What is a "tactard" if you care to explain that one? I'm not familiar with that term.
    Tactard is short for tactical retard. The mall ninja type of guy who buys a ton of gear thinking it will be the end all be all and that buying stuff makes you some sort of operator. Think the guy with thousands of dollars of gear who can't hit the broadside of a barn. But also the weekend warrior type who may have some shooting skills but spends way too much time playing soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I am curious is a Drop leg adheres to Texas OC law?
    Why don't you give it a try and see what hapens?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Public airing of grievances usually doesn't resolve much.
    Rock and Glock and gasmitty like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've been an opponent of drop leg holsters, except for very specialized situations/duties, for quite some time. Most of the LEO K9 handlers I've seen wear them but when pressed, they can't provide a substantial reason. I think they do it to "look tactical."

As others have said, they're primarily intended for people for whom the sidearm is the secondary weapon. Those folks are usually armed with some type of long gun, rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc. They wear the drop leg to get their handgun, which is rarely put into use, out of the way of their primary weapon, but still keep it at hand, if needed. It's rarely the choice of knowledgeable professionals for whom the handgun is their primary weapon, unless they are wearing heavy load−bearing−vests that hang over the beltline, making the wearing of a belt holster virtually impossible.

I've listened to lots of people tell me that they are faster to draw from than a belt holster but every time I put them to the test, they discover that they are quite slow in comparison. If you are standing still and upright, with your gun hand at your side when you need a gun, it might be faster. That is, if you're standing quite still. If any movement is necessary, getting out of a car, running for cover, wrestling with an opponent, the holster will have moved, even if the straps are uncomfortably tight. Now you're spending time looking for the gun, instead of drawing it.

OTOH a properly worn belt holster is always in the same place, whether you're getting out of a car, running, or wrestling. The mechanics of drawing from a drop leg holster require you to fully (or near it) extend your gun arm. That's a relatively weak position for your arm. But drawing from a belt holster means that your arm is bent in a near 90 degree angle, one of its strongest positions.

If you are carrying something with both hands, several grocery bags by their bottoms, or a moderately heavy cardboard box, for example, your arms will be that right angle position. From there, it's a simple matter to rotate your arm on the shoulder joint to reach for your gun. If you're wearing a leg drop holster, you'll have to extend your gun arm for the draw.

If drawing from a drop leg holster was so fast, virtually every type of competitor would be wearing one. Yet, few, if any, are. Overwhelmingly, they're wearing holsters at or very near their beltlines.

As at least one other member has pointed out, they're very difficult to defend in a gun grab situation, they're very rare, but when it does occur, it's literally matter of life and death. The mechanics of holding the gun in the holster, while dealing with the threat, require that the arm be straight, pushing the gun into the holster. The arm is not at its strongest in that position, as it is when bent at a right angle.

I'd suggest that you try some of the exercises I've mentioned and see for yourself that the drop leg, while very cool looking, is not a good choice, except for very rare situations.
    Ianthin, msgt/ret and HotGuns like this.

A drop leg holster? A big clue indicating an Operator operating operationally, of course.

Sorry I read that somewhere

Lead Moderator
    I'd love to hear some stories on your training. I'm sure I don't have the training you do and would like to hear more if willing. My body is weird as my arms are closer to my knees than they are my hips so it's odd. I just find it easier to get to a drop leg than a hip holster is all.
    As stated earlier the drop legs came from wearing a tactical vest. Often times there just isnt enough room for the vest not to contact the stuff on the waist depending on ones build. If that is the case, its very uncomfortable to have your equipment clashing with each other when running,jumping, crawling, rolling over or doing what ever it takes to get through a course of fire.

Most of my training has been LEO training. A lot of it includes moving and shooting, running, shooting from cover, shooting in teams, do transitions from rifle to pistol, pistol to rifle and such. We get hot, we get sweaty, we rarely stay dry because it seems that most of our training occurs when its over 100 degrees out.

Some guys love the drop holsters and some guys hate them. I dont hate them, but they just aren't ideal for me. I have wore blisters on my leg, from sweat and pants bunching up around the straps and its a constant thing adjusting the straps because they are too tight or too loose. I actually have several of them, they all have their good and bad points. My body build is one that I can wear a holster from the belt and a vest and that is generally what I do...most of the time. When training I'll throw one in the truck just in case.

With that being said, it's like any other holster. Make sure you try it and get physical with it. Test it out and see how it does for you. If you like it, that's great. If not, you may want to try something else.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    I wore one while deployed so that I could actually draw my pistol when wearing body armor. It also made if far easier to transition from full battle rattle to just my weapon. If armor wasn't likely to be worn on a given day, I stuck with my tanker holster.

If armor isn't part of your kit then drop leg holsters are more of a problem than a solution.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by xwmstormx View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. I have a lot of respect on how civil it is at this time. More than anyone will know. At this time I will attempt to reply to everyone who has replied which is related to the OP.

A huge thank you to all of you that are in/has been in service to the country that you serve and those that have sacrificed for them. Today's youth forget that people died for the freedoms they have and decide to abuse it. I can't apologize for them but I can assure you that I'll never disrespect the loss and service of which I will never experience. Without the military we have today or from the days past I would not be here! Those of you who have lost a family member I thank you as well and while I never knew them they are not forgotten as a whole. I cherish each day knowing that it would be much different if they had not made that sacrifice. I can't bring them back, I can't take away what anyone has been through. All I can do is live my life to the best I can in the memory of those lost and those still fighting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's interesting. I don't do any hunting but I can see the issues that may occur with walking around with a drop leg rig and having it pull at bushes and whatever else. I typically wear mine so it is facing on the front of my leg instead of protruding from the right. That way it's going with my leg instead of pulling anything off from the right. Maybe give that a try and see how it works or have you tried that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm with you on this. I'm never looking for anything that sreams "Hey I have a gun!" ever. It's really hard for me to CC so I just OC. The issue I have with drop legs is that it is a lot of material that is just out there and visible. So I'm taking some of my old jeans (black) that I can cut and let the straps go under the jeans instead of being visible around them. That may help me to keep it a tad less noticeable than it would be.

Interesting. I don't feel that they are only for those in uniform. Yes, the military does use them here and there but it doesn't mean that they are solely for military does it? I don't wear mine off to the right side it's in the front. I've never had it bang on anything or get in the way. I will note that I used to have it hanging off to my right and it did get in the way so I moved it to the front and never had a problem since. Just my changes to make it more comfortable for me.

Wish you had pics of that. Would be interesting to see.

Thank you for your input and reiterating that you don't do a drop leg. Never knew what you did before as I don't know you.

I was puzzled when I first read this then I had to put that into perspective and imagine the situation before I got it. Do you think that the drop leg makes it easier for a gun grab? Would any other OC holster be as easy than one? For me my hand just naturally falls on my drop leg holster. It's just always there. I use my other hand for everything else from needing my wallet or phone or keys or whatever. It's a little resting spot.

I'd love to hear some stories on your training. I'm sure I don't have the training you do and would like to hear more if willing. My body is weird as my arms are closer to my knees than they are my hips so it's odd. I just find it easier to get to a drop leg than a hip holster is all.

Great information there. I was never in the military and they wouldn't have me when I tried to get into the Navy because of a heart condition. I can see a value of having a drop leg here and in all military so that it frees up waist space for other items.

Thank you for this advice. This is good advice to anyone who carries. It's all about carrying what works for us. And what works for us will not always work for everyone else. My opening statement was not to turn this into a cc vs oc debate and since you always conceal it is nice to hear this kind of advice. It's honest and not arguementative

Last I checked mother nature didn't care how we carried. Thank you for the thought though.

Like mentioned in an earlier reply on this post I would love to see that in pics. Just to see what you saw and share the moment. Sounds interesting and bizarre.

I like the story and glad the officer didn't last long. I don't feel that any legal carrier should be harassed. Just tarnishes the name of the officers who don't believe in that.

What is a "tactard" if you care to explain that one? I'm not familiar with that term.

Good note here. My drop leg doesn't move actually. It's always right were I need it and I don't go out on long walks or runs with it. It's simply things like getting gas or going to the grocery store. Which is a long story. To put it simply I plan where I am going, what I need and get right down to it without lingering around. The less time in public the better for me. Get in, get what I need and get out.

What mag light? What holster for it? I am curious. I'd like to hear more on that and the mk9 spray.

True, it's not for running with or a ton of walking with in general terms. But military do both on a fair daily basis? Not trying to convince you and I agree with you. In normal day to day life outside of the military not many would prefer to walk/run with them.

What kind of course was it? Who won the bet? You make any money off it? hehe. Sounds like a neat story.

This is the drop leg holster I use the MK nine is an OC spray canister with a pistol grip the mag light is just a standard mag light for LEO work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links