Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

This is a discussion on Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; preemptive note: This thread is not regarding OC vs CC nor do I want any advice regarding CC vs OC. You carry how you want ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Drop Leg Holsters (for the OC people only)

preemptive note: This thread is not regarding OC vs CC nor do I want any advice regarding CC vs OC. You carry how you want to carry and I will carry how I want to carry and I will be happy because I don't care how you carry and you won't change the way that I carry for any of your reasons. Just carry how you are comfortable and what keeps you and your family safe and don't press your opinions of OC vs CC on me. Thanks!

Back on topic!

Anyone use a drop leg? I have never seen anyone in my area with a drop leg holster outside of military. Heck I've never seen an OC in my area. (doesn't mean that it doesn't happen just far and few when I am out and about.)

So, I am curious on what my fellow OC people think of them. Do you use one? Is it more comfortable and easier than a hip holster? Why wouldn't you use it? Do you think there are any benefits of one vs a hip OC holster?

I have a drop leg and use it occasionally but never see much talk about them and or hear from people using them. For me, it is amazingly comfortable and my draw time/move time is reduced quite a bit. I'll explain that more if I need to. I like my hip holsters but I love my drop leg.

Just curious..

Carry on and carry safe.

The closest I have used was a western rig with a Ruger Blackhawk I carried hunting once, never again, it caught on just about everything I went past. Most of the security people on-base carry in a drop leg rig and the ones I have talked to say they do get in the way sometimes but they do get used to them after awhile. I did not ask about speed of draw but just looking at the positioning it appears there may be s slight advantage to the drop leg but you would have to time both to see which is better for you.
    dangerranger likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

For general carry, as opposed to certain unique situations (hunting, hiking, etc.) I don't see the desire for this type of rig. I prefer a simple, nondescript holster that when seen, looks for all the world to be strictly business. And actually, this sort of holster catches very little attention. It is also the type of holster with which I train. Besides, I am not looking for a rig that screams, "Look at me, I'm armed. Aren't you impressed"? I didn't look for that sort of attention when I was open carrying on a daily basis and I don't look for it now with my concealed friend.

I did have lunch with several people maybe five years ago and one of them did have a drop leg holster. It was an open carry lunch meet and greet and I thought his rig was a bit unusual. But no one ran screaming from the restaurant so all was well. To each his own.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Drop leg holsters are for those in uniform, probably with body armor. It works as a backup to a rifle on a sling to keep the sidearm out of the way. That's the only time I preferred that style of carry. It does bang on everything, and is a pain when riding in the passenger seat. Otherwise, I much prefer my sidearm on my belt.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    I use one occasionally while working around the house if I'm wearing my tool belt. Other than that, I've only seen one other in the wild. A trucker at the truck stop down the road from me came into the McDonalds with a 92FS in a drop leg, with a 30rd magazine.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I should reiterate that I have no problem with people who want to use a drop leg holster. That's their prerogative, as well it should be. Just not for me.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

To each his own. I carried in a leg drop years ago while on our SWAT team. It was an advantage when rappelling or needing more room on your belt for extra equipment. The one thing that was a detractor for me was that it is much more difficult to ward off a gun grab, particularly if not a Level 3.
    mjadams61 and Bigsteve113 like this.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on. I dont do these things to other people and I require the same from them. John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Lead Moderator
    I wear one occasionally...mostly when training or doing something out of the ordinary that requires the use of a tactical vest.

The drop holsters aren't really all they are cracked up to be. They aren't as comfortable and its easy to get worn raw when you get hot and sweaty.

If I can get by without using one I will.
    Mike1956 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

My opinion.

The drop legs we used in the military were because wearing them on our waist took up valuable space. It was either a chest rig or a drop leg. Too me a drop leg is only useful in very few situations outside of true tactical.

Administrator
    I can see the advantage of one for positioning the firearm further down from the waistline when hiking with a backpack.
    But, not any further on down the leg than absolutely necessary.
    AKA a couple of inches below what would be a typical Open Carry at the waist.

I certainly would shy away from some of the lower priced Velcro adjustible..."one size fits all larger type handguns" holsters.
    I have seen at least a couple of those that were complete garbage and extremely slow to access w/ regard to the firearm.
    And those even minus the absurd retention straps.

I always carry concealed but can appreciate any well designed holster that works as it should.

My only advice would be to shop around and purchase a quality rig that is not generic.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You should conceal carry, its better for the environment.

I used to ride the Metro in DC. Whenever the threat level got raised, they would beef up the transit cops with DHS agents, because, well, it was DC. These guys were all clean cut and in the their 20's. They wore black polo shirts with "DHS" across the back and an embroidered badge on the left chest, over khaki pants. Their guns were in drop holsters, even thought they really had no other gear except for handcuffs and extra mags. They looked like some bizzare, neo-Nazi, preppy fraternity!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

A few years back we had a local Forest cop who was looking for anyone he could harass. His favorite targets were kids target practicing out in the forest land. If he could see any piece of clothing hanging over any part of the gun he would write them for an Illegal Concealed gun. He didn't last long But I did get our youngest a Drop leg holster. You would have a very difficult time calling one a "Concealed Holster"!

I did wear his a time or two to see if I'd like one. I don't see myself ever buying one. It prevents the use of my pockets, it put the gun in the way of everything, and when I came back from a day out in the brush I had to strip the gun, because of all the leaves and debris that had fallen into the holster.

They serve a purpose, they are just not for me. DR

I am curious is a Drop leg adheres to Texas OC law?
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

If a person is wearing a drop leg holster due to the restrictions associated with heavy armor or gear.. I get it. Other than that circumstance, I find it impractical. A drop leg holster is a very specific work around for a very specific problem. Drop leg holsters have several inherent troubles when you have to do more than stand upright. Its not something I would ever choose unless there was no other option to carry my sidearm.

I saw a guy OCing with a ultra cheap drop leg holster inside a bookstore once. He was wearing jeans, sneakers and some sort of concert tshirt and a ballcap with a misfits band skull on the front. He stood beside me at the magazine rack and I was thinking " alrighty then".. and I simply left. I certainly do not mind a person OCing but when they do not seem squared away, I prefer not to hang around.
    msgt/ret and LeanHard like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links