How do I make AIWB work? - Page 2

How do I make AIWB work?

This is a discussion on How do I make AIWB work? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a purpose drive appendix holster and one with a wedge to tilt the muzzle away from your body. Makers like jm custom kydex, custom ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How do I make AIWB work?

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Get a purpose drive appendix holster and one with a wedge to tilt the muzzle away from your body. Makers like jm custom kydex, custom carry concepts, dark star gear and keepers all have excellent offerings.
    Kennydale likes this.

I'm 6'3" weighing about 250 with a "tactical" muffin top. While standing up the gun stays under my gut and is impossible to see even while wearing shirts that fit right(non baggy)...but when I sit I pull the grip up a bit so it comes out from under the muffin top. I can sit like that for 12+ hours with no discomfort. It took me awhile to make my movements look natural while adjusting my gun so it wasn't obvious I was adjusting a gun. Best advice is wear an undershirt as much as possible. This will keep the gun/holster from pinching your skin and if you are a hairy monster like me it will keep it from ripping out your hair.

I just ordered a Smartcarry holster so I'm interested to see how that works out for days I really need to deep conceal. They have a 60 day trial so I can send it back if I just don't like it. Right now I carry in an all kydex AIWB holster with a concealment claw.

I carry a G19 in the holster below. I bought it off Ebay on a whim because it was fairly cheap and I wanted to go AIWB a try. It has turned out to be the best and most comfortable holster I've ever used. Carrying at 4 oclock would cause me major back discomfort. I carry all day AIWB without issue. I find it helps to have a higher riding holster. The claw also aids in concealment by forcing the grip into your mid-section.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Get a purpose drive appendix holster and one with a wedge to tilt the muzzle away from your body. Makers like jm custom kydex, custom carry concepts, dark star gear and keepers all have excellent offerings.
    I completely agree with firefighterguy. I'm 5'9 and back when I was 218, I could easily, and comfortably carry a Glock 19 in a Keepers Lite AIWB holster and Glock 43 in a Keepers Errand AIWB. Today, I weigh 190 and it's even easier to comfortably carry it. I also have a JMCustom Kydex George for a Ruger SP101 Snubby and that's also easy to carry and conceal. For the revolver, I actually prefer a Blackhawk IWB Leather holster as it takes up a bit less room than a Kydex holster.

The key seems to be using a holster that's specifically designed for AIWB carry.
    Bill801 likes this.

I'm 5'6" 210lbs and easily hide a G19 in the "selective minimalist" holster. The 26 just disappears. It's all about what works for your body type. I went with the selective minimalist to get rid of the extra kydex that's used to usually mount the clip on a full AIWB holster.

A good belt plus a little room in your waistband goes a long way too
    Kennydale likes this.

Fits both guns

It's by "the makers innovation" and sold by barracuda tactical.

Lead Moderator
    I use a utili clip with shoe insole wedge (idea from JD and Limatunes) for my Kahr p9. The clip allows me to change the muzzle angle and grip from sitting to walking. This seems to afford much more comfort to me 5-10 , 190 lb. I do have a gut .
    JD likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I'm 6'.0" 170 LB and most important 64 YO but I carry at 3:30 LOL

At 5'8" and 150 lbs, I don't quiet have the muffin top, but I've gained a gut, so I can sympathize. I know you're likely attached to your autoloaders, but a snub-nosed revolver works really well for me. The cylinder goes right in front of my hip bone, and the revolver grip ends up more on the side of my belly than in front of it.

I have a kydex holster (Safe2Fire) that probably would have been great two years ago, when I was 15 lbs lighter. Now, the belly pushes the gun outward, and the sharp edge at bottom of the holster digs into me, especially when driving. Leather holsters appear to work much better in that respect because the leather is flexible. I'm making do with a Galco Stow-and-go while I'm waiting for my Sideguard Minimal Clip.

I just got this holster from KnightFall Customs. It is very similar to the one I already posted earlier in this thread. This holster is a bit more refined and actually even more comfortable and conceals a bit better than the other, as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla_dogman View Post
    How do you sit comfortably with this method of carrying?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    The normal way everybody else does, actually. Seriously: The gun doesn't cause discomfort as long as it's not a very long-barreled one and as long as it's not too far away from the centerline. That said, I do know of people that carry G34s AIWB just fine. I did have some problems sitting when I went farther than about 1:00, maybe 1:30 right or 11:00-10:30 left with something like a G17-length barrel. Now I run a G17 (cut to take G19 magazines) without discomfort unless I'm sitting into a 'deep' chair of some sort.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

To the OP: It may not be possible to get AIWB to work for you short of measures to reduce the spare. This is easier for some than for others--I'm having much more trouble than I want to have pulling some diameter off my waist although I'm okay with AIWB with it. I do want to be smaller there, though, so that's what I've been working on. It's not as easy as some of the fitness or supplement experts would like you to believe, though. That's the reality of it for us. Not something I like but it is something I have to acknowledge.
    BMAT likes this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

[QUOTE=CR Williams;4959089]The normal way everybody else does, actually. Seriously: The gun doesn't cause discomfort as long as it's not a very long-barreled one and as long as it's not too far away from the centerline.

So you're pointing at Mr. Johnson? Yikes!!

I YouTubed several videos on AIWB carry and it's just not for me, but thanks for explaining it to me

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Fla_dogman;4960297]
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    The normal way everybody else does, actually. Seriously: The gun doesn't cause discomfort as long as it's not a very long-barreled one and as long as it's not too far away from the centerline.

So you're pointing at Mr. Johnson? Yikes!!

Not as much as you think. A moot point, anyway. Carry IWB and you're pointing at something no matter where you put it. Work the drawstroke properly, make sure you holster like you're holstering a gun and not racing somebody to get your hand empty and you're good.

We get a bit too overwrought sometimes about the hazards. Better to acknowledge them, set ourselves up to mitigate and reduce them, and rock on.
    Bill801 and txs171 like this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links