Aiwb holster options for micro pistol

This is a discussion on Aiwb holster options for micro pistol within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a small built guy, sort of bony frame, 5'11" 140lbs. I don't hide a weapon well without printing!! Best place I have found ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By forester58

Thread: Aiwb holster options for micro pistol

I am a small built guy, sort of bony frame, 5'11" 140lbs. I don't hide a weapon well without printing!! Best place I have found to carry is aiwb. I live in West Central Florida, so most of the year the wardrobe is shorts and t-shirt.....not very forgiving for concealing! I tried my S&W shield Performance Center 9mm in a Vedder Light tuck Holster. I love the quality of the Vedder Holster, but often the size of the the Shield is a little hard to hide, and the length of the firearm digs into my rib and upper thigh when squatting or bending. So I bought a Springfield 911!! I love the gun!! I got a local holster maker to make a holster for it.....(kydex iwb)....and the size is awesome! The quality of the holster however is sub-par. The gun does not "click" into place when inserting into the holster. Also the plastic "J clip" style clip is very thick and makes a bump in front that at times is visible. I also wondered how others wear a single clip holster appendix to avoid the buckle or double thickness of the belt end? Would it be possible to wear a holster like the alien gear 3.5 cloak tuck in appendix position, with a clip on each side of the buckle? I am having trouble finding companies that make a holster specifically for the 911. I also have never owned I hybrid holster, and was wondering about wear and tear on the gun??? (More contact on the side than kydex) I definitely do not want any leather involved, but am ok with synthetic like alien gear, if it doesn't wear gun finish excessively! Anyone have thoughts or inputs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar

For AIWB, I like all kydex with a small footprint and soft loops, so I can’t speak to how a hybrid would work.

One of my favorite AIWB holster makers is Dara holsters and their site shows them making ones for the Springfield 911. Because the options I wanted, they didn’t list on the AIWB drop down menus for AIWB holster, I emailed them and they made custom just as I wanted.

As far as belt, if it has a buckle I wear the buckle to the side opposite of the gun. But my preference is a g-hook belt (like Volund Gearworks) so there is no large buckle and you can change the orientation of the hook so the belt end goes to whichever side you want.

I was actually thinking about the dara holsters! I had no experience or anyone I knew that had one! I really like the modular rigs, as I also carry a spare mag, (now in a separate holder right next to the gun holster). I don't like the idea of soft loops, (although I have never had any), but like both the single clip and double clip tuckable styles!! Do the Dara holsters have good quality and retention with a positive "click" feel when weapon is holstered? I also like the "claw" concept of the tuckable one, as I have that on both my other holsters!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My opinion only after about 35 years carrying a gun one way or another.
    1. Forget clips of any type if you want the gun to be where you last put it in a struggle. Snap loops stay put, clips do not if you end up in a ground struggle. I have had even top of the line clip holsters come loose with physical hand to hand training.
    2. Forget about keeping a nice finish on your gun. It is a self defense tool and not a museum piece. If you train enough, and you should, the constant drawing and holstering and shooting will wear the finish no matter what holster material you select. If you want a nice "Sunday-go-to-meetin" gun for EDC your mindset might need adjustment.
    3.Hybrid holsters are junk (see above also). I see too many people use the muzzle to move the soft side out of the way. Yes, most people do it right as well but, always try and eliminate places where a momentary lapse can get you killed. unless your super human and don't have lapses.
    4. In carrying AIWB holster and weapon selection is even more critical in my opinion, although sloppy 3 o'clock carry can get you killed as well. I would carry full Kydex with full trigger coverage with an offset snap loop AIWB which in fact is what I do. If you need a bit of comfort or more concealment put some self stick velcro on the lower inside of the holster and the loop side on a foam wedge and experiment with how much wedge gets you to that sweat spot. The wedge also keeps the muzzle pointing more away from you. If you want more comfort wear an undershirt of some type. I like compression sleeveless in the summer as it keeps me cooler than cotton.
    I wear a nylon belt and the extra tongue just covers my snap loop. If that is too bulky just wear your belt the other way so the tongue goes left.
    I don't know of specific holsters for your firearm but, keep looking as someone makes something just right. Just look for purpose built AIWB holsters and not just IWB holsters, there is a difference and a good holster maker knows it.
    MMinSC and TX expat like this.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kbw911 View Post
    I was actually thinking about the dara holsters! I had no experience or anyone I knew that had one! I really like the modular rigs, as I also carry a spare mag, (now in a separate holder right next to the gun holster). I don't like the idea of soft loops, (although I have never had any), but like both the single clip and double clip tuckable styles!! Do the Dara holsters have good quality and retention with a positive "click" feel when weapon is holstered? I also like the "claw" concept of the tuckable one, as I have that on both my other holsters!

The gun does “click” into the Dara holster and the holster has adjustable retention.

Have you tried pocket carry? A 911 should disappear pretty easily in a little pocket holster and a pair of cargo shorts. For me it is probably the most comfortable means of carrying. Plus it cuts down on presentation time. You can get a good pocket holster from DeSantis or other for $10-20.

A man's belt passes to the left. It shouldn't interfere with a right handed shooter. The holster clip is at 1:00.
    A quality kydex holster doesn't need to make an audible click, as long as the trigger guard locks securely in place and the rest of the pistol is supported so it doesn't move.

AIWB best with kydex. Stay away from large volume, wide coverage holsters (most hybrids). I'm especially opposed to the neoprene or faux leather.
    Psalm 144:1

I got three words.

Full firing grip.

Got grease?

The little Crossbreed is pretty legit

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm biased because I carry with....

I'm partial to https://www.desantisholster.com/tuck-this-ii/ ~ plenty of options on position were / how you can CC with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbw911 View Post
    I am a small built guy, sort of bony frame, 5'11" 140lbs. I don't hide a weapon well without printing!! Best place I have found to carry is aiwb. I live in West Central Florida, so most of the year the wardrobe is shorts and t-shirt.....not very forgiving for concealing! I tried my S&W shield Performance Center 9mm in a Vedder Light tuck Holster. I love the quality of the Vedder Holster, but often the size of the the Shield is a little hard to hide, and the length of the firearm digs into my rib and upper thigh when squatting or bending. So I bought a Springfield 911!! I love the gun!! I got a local holster maker to make a holster for it.....(kydex iwb)....and the size is awesome! The quality of the holster however is sub-par. The gun does not "click" into place when inserting into the holster. Also the plastic "J clip" style clip is very thick and makes a bump in front that at times is visible. I also wondered how others wear a single clip holster appendix to avoid the buckle or double thickness of the belt end? Would it be possible to wear a holster like the alien gear 3.5 cloak tuck in appendix position, with a clip on each side of the buckle? I am having trouble finding companies that make a holster specifically for the 911. I also have never owned I hybrid holster, and was wondering about wear and tear on the gun??? (More contact on the side than kydex) I definitely do not want any leather involved, but am ok with synthetic like alien gear, if it doesn't wear gun finish excessively! Anyone have thoughts or inputs?

Sponsored Links