Looking to buy a shoulder holster

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a shoulder holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never worn one but am considering getting a shoulder holster. I carry a SCCY 9mm CPX2 with a laser sight, so it not ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a shoulder holster

I have never worn one but am considering getting a shoulder holster. I carry a SCCY 9mm CPX2 with a laser sight, so it not a full-sized gun by most standards.

I think I want something that attaches the bottom of the holster to the belt or belt loop.

Your thoughts?
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

The "Miami Classic" from Galco would be my choice. They don't list it for your gun but, it can't hurt to contact them.

Galco International
    2019 West Quail Avenue
    Phoenix, Arizona 85027

1 (800) 874-2526
    Local: (623) 434-7070
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Your gun and laser sight will be tricky

I have owned a few shoulder holster never quite got into them ...I think some people they work better on then others due to body build etc

Different training in terms of drawing and not muzzling one self with them as well

The Galco is the classic
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    The "Miami Classic" from Galco would be my choice.
    +1 Love it even though I never use it.
    Also, sorry, have to laugh at the thought of one's holster being more expensive than the weapon they're carrying in it.

I carry in a shoulder holster as often as I can (most of the time) and my "go-to" is a Galco Miami Classic although I have several others. If you are carrying horizontally, it really isn't necessary to tie it to your belt. If you can find a vertical holster, then you might want to find one that attaches to your belt. I have a Bianchi X-15 that would be worthless if it didn't attach to my belt (it does, however, so it is very, very good and very concealable). I also have a vertical Miami Classic that doesn't attach to the belt and that rig is pretty dang good, too. Good luck on your search, but I think shoulder holsters are the way to go (keep in mind, I live in Minnesota and eight months of the year jackets and coats are a rule and not an exception).

'

You want to either mount the holster to the belt or some type of strap around your back. I made mine with a strap around the back to keep it from swinging forward. If it's not secured it would swing out of your cover garment when you lean forward. BTW, don't be surprised if your holster ends up being about as much as that gun if you want leather. And you might not be able to find an off the shelf holster for that combo.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Moderator
    I have two Andrews Leather Monarch’s. One traditional I am wearing now with a G26 and two mags offside. No belt loop is needed at all.

I also have a spring break holster from Sam.

Both are just gorgeous.

Andrews

Springbreak

I am considering adding a new holster and mag carrier to go with the Monarch rigs I already have, or maybe a whole new rig.
    msgt/ret, airslot, craze and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I have two Andrews Leather Monarch’s. One traditional I am wearing now with a G26 and two mags offside. No belt loop is needed at all.

Both are just gorgeous.

Andrews

Springbreak

I am considering adding a new holster and mag carrier to go with the Monarch rigs I already have, or maybe a whole new rig.
    I wear a g26 in a Miami Classic much the same way. I keep a 12 round mag with a +2 extension in the gun and 2 g19 mags on the off side. Balance is almost perfect. No tiedowns. Easy on easy off, easy to wear.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Both are just gorgeous.

Andrews

Springbreak

GREAT stuff ! Thanks, R&G !
    Rock and Glock and Militant like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Looking to buy a shoulder holster-6eaf0102-4d89-43d0-af88-955bb6e690de.jpeg

I have this for my MK9. I use it all winter every year and even wore it tonight. There is no need to attach it to a belt because it doesn’t move around. I got it for about $80.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    S&W M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9
    Kel-Tec KSG - S&W M686+

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EAF0102-4D89-43D0-AF88-955BB6E690DE.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	291684

I have this for my MK9. I use it all winter every year and even wore it tonight. There is no need to attach it to a belt because it doesn’t move around. I got it for about $80.
    Cokeman, what model is it and where did you get it?
    Memphis -- No. 2 on the list of most crime ridden cities in America. Working on being No. 1 but we just can't catch Detroit.

1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Cokeman, what model is it and where did you get it?
    That's a Galco Classic Lite rig.

EDIT: Note how it is worn, @lionround . You keep the gun (and double mag pouch, that counterbalances the gun, somewhat) as high as possible.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/clas..._8_2_1057.html

If you do that, you don't need to mess with tiedown straps to your belt. Those are a big PITA.

If you don't keep everything "high and tight" like that, the whole rig will flop around a lot, especially if you need to run.
    lionround, OldChap and Militant like this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Pretty sure Galco doesn't make any shoulder holsters for SCCY guns.

And not trying to be a jerk, but even if they did, the cost of the holster would be equal or greater to the cost of the gun...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Pretty sure Galco doesn't make any shoulder holsters for SCCY guns.

And not trying to be a jerk, but even if they did, the cost of the holster would be equal or greater to the cost of the gun...
    They might not. But the SCCY "might" fit in a holster designed for some other gun.

And also, the Galco "Classic Lite" system can be had for $88.00 or less, so there goes your other argument.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    They might not. But the SCCY "might" fit in a holster designed for some other gun.

And also, the Galco "Classic Lite" system can be had for $88.00 or less, so there goes your other argument.
    Well, checking their website, Galco doesn't make any shoulder holster, Miami Classic or Lite for any SCCY gun.

2nd point stands. SCCY is a modern day Saturday Night Special so any decent holster is going to cost about half the value of the gun, possibly more and at the end of the day no matter what kind of holster you employ, you've still got an SCCY.

Time and effort spent finding a holster that might fit an SCCY would be better used to buy a better gun that holster makers have spent the time and effort to produce holsters for it.

Then again you can always go with an Uncle Mikes...
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links