Need personal experience information with Wright Leather Works holsters

This is a discussion on Need personal experience information with Wright Leather Works holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a holster for my Browning Black Label 1911-22 and almost no one makes any that are even close to what I can use. ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By ColoradoDiablo
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By Gaius
  • 5 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By SFury
  • 1 Post By Novarider
  • 1 Post By Redbert31
  • 1 Post By Dutch70
  • 1 Post By sparkyfender

Thread: Need personal experience information with Wright Leather Works holsters

VIP Member

I need a holster for my Browning Black Label 1911-22 and almost no one makes any that are even close to what I can use. In fact, hardly anyone makes them at all! The 1911-380 and the 1911-22 are the same size and most of the holsters are listed as for the 1911-380. I can use STRAIGHT CANT only. Because of limited arm and wrist movement I can NOT use any bit of forward cant at all!

The wonderful person who has made custom leather holsters for me in the past has personal things that are making it so there is no way of knowing if and when he can make what I want/need for this gun.

NO KYDEX FOR THIS GUN! It's an 85% size 1911 and the slide is a silver-gray finish that can mar easily. It needs tender loving care.

I did find an IWB holster with leather loops from Wright Leather Works that has reinforced holes in the leather so you can move the leather straps to turn it into a straight cant or even a reverse cant:
    https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...er-iwb-holster

BUT I hate to order from a totally unknown company (to me) and wait 8 to 10 weeks and pay over $100 for a holster that might not be good quality.

HELP, INFORMATION ANYONE?

If these are good holsters, I will still want the custom OWB one from my friend if and when he ever gets to the point of being able to do leather work again. I'm having more and more problems wearing any gun IWB, and will definitely need his special touch for the right OWB holster sometime in the future.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I've had a good experience with Wright previously. Been around long enough to not be a fly by night place and I'd hazard to guess @Mike1956 might have some more to say on them as well.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

VIP Member
    I have several of their Predator OWB holsters. All high quality, very well made and sturdy. The predators OWB are my only experience with them, but I've been impressed with each one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I have several of their Predator OWB holsters. All high quality, very well made and sturdy. The predators OWB are my only experience with them, but I've been impressed with each one.
    Exactly my experience as well. High quality rig. Can't speak to the IWB holsters.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the positive replies so far. I have never read that name mentioned in any "which holster?" thread over the years - at least not that I can remember - so it was important to me to ask the question.

I've never used leather IWB before because it is thicker than Kydex, but this little baby must be clothed in leather. No compromising for her.

BTW, in case anyone cares, her name is Isabelle Ringer. It took months before she earned that name, but now since her barrel was "adjusted" she makes the steel ping/ring each time I pull the trigger!

==================

A good leather holster works fine for IWB carry. I prefer leather holsters for my larger handguns. While I don't have any Wright leather ones, I do have a Simply Rugged holster with the IWB belt loops for my revolver. That, along with a good belt works fine for CC.

Not as easily concealed as my IWB kydex holster for my XDM 4.5 though.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Since you like kydex have you considered a leather lined kydex holster?

https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/121.htm

I've never owned a Wright Leather holster but they are on my short list and have been for a long time. It's probably going to be my next holster purchase.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Since you like kydex have you considered a leather lined kydex holster?

https://www.giholsters.com/category-s/121.htm
    I use Kydex for IWB for my "plastic" guns and for one of my p238's that I don't care as much if the slide gets worn on that one. I will not put my Titanium Rainbow in Kydex, even if it would be leather lined. I've gotten so I much prefer OWB leather only when at all possible, though.

The link you provided is very interesting but they do not list the guns for which they make the holsters. I can't imagine any holster company that makes holsters for every gun on the market! If I were really interested I guess I would call them on the phone to ask, or send an email.

==================

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I use Kydex for IWB for my "plastic" guns and for one of my p238's that I don't care as much if the slide gets worn on that one. I will not put my Titanium Rainbow in Kydex, even if it would be leather lined. I've gotten so I much prefer OWB leather only when at all possible, though.

The link you provided is very interesting but they do not list the guns for which they make the holsters. I can't imagine any holster company that makes holsters for every gun on the market! If I were really interested I guess I would call them on the phone to ask, or send an email.
    On a computer right at the top is a button you click that says "Firearms" on a mobile device click the three dashes button and you can select from all the different Firearms they use.

I've never used them but I've read about them and one of the reasons to line the kydex is to reduce gun finish wear.

I agree if I could always carry owb leather I would however it's not practical in my every day life.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Thanks for the positive replies so far. I have never read that name mentioned in any "which holster?" thread over the years - at least not that I can remember - so it was important to me to ask the question.

I've never used leather IWB before because it is thicker than Kydex, but this little baby must be clothed in leather. No compromising for her.

BTW, in case anyone cares, her name is Isabelle Ringer. It took months before she earned that name, but now since her barrel was "adjusted" she makes the steel ping/ring each time I pull the trigger!
    I like that name

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very nice

Hey ShooterGranny , I have an OWB "Avenger style " holster for a SIG P320 Compact purchased from them ~ 3 -4 years ago. It's been a favorite from the day I received to present day.
    I think you'll like their work.

Ryan Grizzle Leather makes holsters for the Browning 1911 .380, if it is indeed the same size as the .22.

I have bought over a dozen of his holsters, not the cheapest around, over the years, and I can vouch for his quality.

Sponsored Links